Thread: Is it normal to feel tired during the day ?

johnpez

Default Is it normal to feel tired during the day ?

I am an adult male in my 30's. Almost every morning when I wake up I feel tired and just want to stay in bed even though I got a good nights sleep. about a half hour after I wake up I start to feel more awake. I also feel tired some times in the middle of my work day. Is it normal for an adult to feel this way ? Do you ever feel tired when you wake up and in the middle of your work day ? If you have this problem how do you deal with it ?

Haha....I'm always that way, but I'm 65 and I work two jobs, my day job, and then my music director job in the evenings. When I get home from that job, I put my wife on her dialysis machine which take one hour and fifteen minutes. Then I come on here for an hour and a half. So needless to say, I get to bed late. The dialysis machine goes off at 5:45 so I can get my wife off and get myself ready for school.

I am so tired when I start the day, but after three cups of coffee which I drink while I'm turning on all the computer labs in the school, I'm good to go. When I get home I take a nap, then get dinner and I'm off to work.

Work and stress makes us tired and there's no way getting around it. Next year I can retire and I'm looking forward to it, just so I can sleep in.

What is your schedule, and what is making you tired?

Quote Originally Posted by johnpez View Post
    I am an adult male in my 30's. Almost every morning when I wake up I feel tired and just want to stay in bed even though I got a good nights sleep. about a half hour after I wake up I start to feel more awake. I also feel tired some times in the middle of my work day. Is it normal for an adult to feel this way ? Do you ever feel tired when you wake up and in the middle of your work day ? If you have this problem how do you deal with it ?
    it can be a lot of things of course.....
    but two of the very easiest to check, and are common causes of becoming tired, are;
    #1. anemia... (lack of red blood cells that absorb & carry oxygen throughout your body)
    Anemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#2. thyroid... as in hypothyroidism....
    Hypothyroidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

both of these can be checked with a simple blood test, and like many other problems. both can have many many causes. but just off hand with the little info that you have given, this is all i have....

good luck
    lodge wrecker....

do you snore while you sleep or stop breathing for 30 seconds or more.

what you say are the common symptoms of sleep apnea,

Almost every morning when I wake up I feel tired and just want to stay in bed even though I got a good nights sleep. about a half hour after I wake up I start to feel more awake. I also feel tired some times in the middle of my work day.
    with sleep apnea you may think you are getting a good night sleep but because you have the sleep-disordered breathing you never get into stage 4 or rem sleep.
    Sleep apnea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I feel that way too. But when I started exercising I feel a lot better. More energy and feel good too. I still take a 30 minute nap too. I know exercising not for everyone but it works for me.

Well, I feel like that just about every second of every day (if something wakes me up i.e. an alarm, I'm not gonna wanna get up), but I think I can attribute that to my life style. I'm usually doing fun stuff till pretty late and wait until the days over to finish all the things I need to finish (although I guess posting incoherent posts on ADISC at 3 like I am now isn't technically something I need to do) plus I don't have the healthiest of habits. I'm guessing if I weren't so young, I'd probably weigh at least 50lbs more, have diabetes, and would most likely be dead.

Exercise will definitely make a difference. It will make your body operate better which will definitely help you feel better. On top of that, most of us have incurred a sleep debt over our lifetime that we'll probably never be able to fully pay off (each night you don't get a full night's worth of sleep has to essentially be made up. So if you get half a typical nights sleep, the next time you sleep you need 50% more sleep in addition to a full nights rest to compensate). If you've been to college or when you were younger and focused more on filling 24 hours with as much activity as possible instead of sleeping, then chances are you've incurred thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of hours of sleep debt. And then finally, I think part of it may have to do with our (humans') unnatural rhythms. Our 24 hour day is completely unnatural and has only been universally adopted because of conditioning, artificial light, and necessity. Normally we would operate on a 25 hour clock. Most of this stuff I'm trying to recall from psych class, so some or most it could be wrong and there certainly is a possibility that it could be a serious underlying medical condition.

I remember I saw a Real World or some show about this girl who grew up fine, but when she went to college she started sleeping A LOT. Eventually it got to the point where her sleep cycles got so messed up she had to take drugs at night to put her to sleep and keep her awake and then she'd need to take drugs to wake up and stay awake (often with no energy, almost to the point of narcolepsy, but from an unexplained exhaustion). They didn't know the exact cause of it. Obviously this is a pretty extreme case and is probably pretty rare, but still. Definitely seek some professional medical advice just in case. Maybe it's low testosterone or something (I remember seeing an add for that recently),but I'm guessing this is geared more towards elderly men.

I get it sometimes, with a ton of energy then later at night *shrugs*, never tired enough to fall asleep or anything just feeling a bit tired. If I haven't slept enough or get up really early it does seem to get worse. Anyways, was looking up one I heard that could cause it (dehydration) and ran across a link with a bunch of things that could cause fatigue:

Causes of Sleepiness and Fatigue and How to Fight Them -- Slideshow

Basically outside of medical causes, it could be due to what you eat, not drinking enough water, too much sugar, and rare cases too much caffeine, or just need a bit of exercise.

spin it around: is it normal not to have a nap during the day?
    traditionally, people have napped during the day (hence the variety of words to describe it), it's only as a result of industrialization, mechanization and the invention of mechanical time and our enslavement to such that we 'have' to maintain lengthy periods of awakedness on a regular basis.

you don't see any of the other large mammals going without a kip. let sleeping dogs lie or be bitten