Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic backed disposables... availability in the UK in Feb 2013?

Default Plastic backed disposables... availability in the UK in Feb 2013?

What's still out there? It's a couple of years since I had the time to buy and enjoy nappies regularly. I had built up quite a big stock which I have been slowly using up on special occasions, long journeys etc. Now I am looking forward to a little more playtime it's worth getting some supplies but it seems a few more product lines have switched to cloth-style which I don't like at all.

A lot of references and reviews seem to relate to the US ranges which are sometimes different to the UK. Can anyone help confirm which brands available in the UK today are still traditional plastic-backed full-fitting nappies. I wear medium size and always go for maximum absorbency, old favourites include Tena, Molicare, Lille, Abri-form and Attends. 100% waterproof plastic backing rocks!

Thanks in advance
    S

Tena slips are still plastic backed in the UK. I currently buy these from Incontinence Choice online which is pretty much the best and cheapest place to get quality nappies in the UK.

Eurons, which as far as I know in the UK are only available from Gompels Healthcare (online) - Eurons themselves are great; as good as Tena and half the price, but Gompels customer service sucks and I've had several orders where they've sent the wrong thing and it's taken up to a week to fix it.

Lille Classics, available from Incontinence Choice (their customer service is excellent - I've never had an order go wrong with them). Avoid Lille Supreme like the plague. They're cloth-backed and completely useless.

If you're buying from a store, Boots stay-dry slips are still plastic backed but frankly their absorption sucks and I would only use them if I was desperate and didn't have anything else available.

Cuddlz are plastic backed and popular with the AB/DL community. I tried some samples and found that the absorbency was excellent but the quality of the tapes was poor. I won't buy them again; I'd rather stick to Tena. Or Euron, if anyone else decides to start selling them, because I'm damned if I can put up with Gompels' mistakes any more.

Yeah, If you're in GB, I guess anything Abena is a forgetaboutit. the plastic backed are no longer available

I know they dumped my favorite onsies several years ago, and have found comparable (and slightly better) from Save Express under the Airoliver brand after my old ones wore out. Considering I use these them daily, I don't mind so much importing them at a similar price I used to pay

at least to date, I've been much less than impressed with the 'Cloth Backed' diapers, and, unless Abena wants to change their ways back, I'm not much interested in their future products... I might be in the minority on this, but it is one lost customer

I'd also vote for Tena Slip Maxi. They're easy enough to get hold of, they're relatively cost effective, have pretty good absorbancy and, of course, they are plastic backed.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post
    OOH! Excellent, thank you.

ETA:: Yikes!! 35 a pack for Super Plus???!!! That's 1.28 each; at Gompels they're about 17 a pack (0.60 each). And Tena Maxis at Incontinence Choice are 15 a pack (62p each).

Thanks for the info so far, I like the sound of buying from Incontinence Choice, let's review their plastic-backed offerings:

Tena Slips have changed in design, I think, since I last bought them a few years ago. Obviously still a must-have, a couple of cases will be on the shopping list.

Lille. What am I going to do without the Supreme Fit Maxi grey? They were low in cost, a good fit (for me anyway) and offered 3000ml absorbency in the medium, so they became one of a favourite for general use. Awesome when doubled. Looking at the pictures of the 'Classic' line I wonder if they are the same products? Unfortunately no maxi option.

Molicare Super Plus? By the specs, not particularly absorbent, 1435ml for a medium. But they claim to have a 'Full waterproof backing for maximum security' and the girl in the picture seems to be wearing the same kind of plastic-backed nappy as before. The 'soft' range is clearly cloth-like but maybe the Super Plus is still plastic? Perhaps someone can confirm from recent experience?

Moving on to Gompels:

Euron Form was an old favourite when I was working abroad, I was able to get them off the shelf in the local pharmacy at a great price. Like the Lille, I found them to be good value everyday nappy, they were quite loose fitting around the legs and comfortable to wear although slightly prone to leaks. But look here: euron form changes as it seems they are transitioning to 'CottonFeel' although their website still shows the traditional plastic versions for medium and large (blue and green). On the Gompels website, I see the following slightly suspect feature: "Reusable tapes and a wetness indicator save unnecessary changes by allowing visual inspection of the pad, whilst its cotton back ensures the pad remains comfortable and discrete." even for the medium and large. Hopefully this is just a cut-and-paste error.

Proform has a similar description and appearance but claims to be plastic backed. Is it a version of the Euron under a different name or what?

Thanks
    S

in an ever changing world, here's mine:
    TenderCare (available on Amazon or as in-person pick-up) and IndaSlip ('breatheable' wings, but the pad section is placky. limited availability, though; bmsupplies.co.uk, in Lancs, do mail-order, also on ebay and, possibly, pick-up).

neither are as good as the likes of Tenaslip maxi, but okay for regular use and changing. the Indaslip would be my recommendation; and they still fit well if you go up a size.....plus, they smell lovely.

I ALSO USE INDA SLIP, I BUY THEM OF EBAY they are i think abou 15 pounds for 2x packs then p&p on top.
    cuddlz have bought out a new design aparantely with only one tape eigher side, but they are expensive for the amount you get in a pack.or try age uk i cant remember if they are cloth or plastic but they are really thick and cheaper than abena.
    i have also tried the new boots staydry slips thy say they are equivlant to attends ,but rge tapes were tubbish, and they leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    Yeah, If you're in GB, I guess anything Abena is a forgetaboutit. the plastic backed are no longer available
    ...at least to date, I've been much less than impressed with the 'Cloth Backed' diapers, and, unless Abena wants to change their ways back, I'm not much interested in their future products... I might be in the minority on this, but it is one lost customer
    Just FYI, I ordered some abenas a while ago and they were plastic back: their production date is from the beginning of this January. So it looks like they're still being made for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezy View Post
    Molicare Super Plus? By the specs, not particularly absorbent, 1435ml for a medium. But they claim to have a 'Full waterproof backing for maximum security' and the girl in the picture seems to be wearing the same kind of plastic-backed nappy as before. The 'soft' range is clearly cloth-like but maybe the Super Plus is still plastic? Perhaps someone can confirm from recent experience?
    Molicare Super Plus are indeed still plastic-backed!