Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Diapers' or 'Nappies'

Default 'Diapers' or 'Nappies'

I'm just wondering if English posters on here use the word 'diapers' or 'nappies'?

The reason I ask is because the latter has a big emotional weight for me. I couldn't even say the word 'nappy' it made me so embarrassed when I was younger. 'diaper' isn't such a big deal for me because it's not in every day usage in England.

I guess I'm interested in people's relationship to these words. 'Nappy' is a very emotional and complicated word for me I guess!

i believe that for each one its different. i think it depends on the word you used to hear as a toddler. for me "nappies" has no meaning at all. on the other hand, diapers, "Chitul" (or "Titul") which is the word in hebrew, makes me embarrassed.

Default 'Diapers' or 'Nappies'

Exactly the same for me.

I got caught several times when I was younger. The word Nappy still reminds me of feeling embarrassed or ashamed.

Diaper has none of those negatives for me so its the word I usually use.

Down Under, (no pun intended) we call 'em nappies. But when I discuss them on here I almost always refer to them as diapers. In fact I tend to Americanise my posts, I think it just feels right with most of the post styles. Away from the forum, I'm thinking locally, as OP suggests its more of an emotional connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaur View Post
    I'm just wondering if English posters on here use the word 'diapers' or 'nappies'?

The reason I ask is because the latter has a big emotional weight for me. I couldn't even say the word 'nappy' it made me so embarrassed when I was younger. 'diaper' isn't such a big deal for me because it's not in every day usage in England.

I guess I'm interested in people's relationship to these words. 'Nappy' is a very emotional and complicated word for me I guess!
    I know what you meant by, "I couldn't even say the word 'diaper' it made me so embarrassed when I was younger." That was the way I felt here in the USA. I got over it years ago in my teen years, now in my mid 30's. I remember back with my friends we to the movies and sit behind a big group of girls. One of my friends dare me to say the word diaper. So I said "diaper" out loud. The girls were laughing so hard they had to use the restroom. My friends were shock that I did that. The girls were still laughing even during the movie. After the movie was over we were all in the parking lot. One the girls came over and ask me why I said the word diaper. She was the older one of the group. I told her I was dared from one of my friends. She said that it was so funny the way I said the word diaper is like I really meant it. This was back in my teen years. I miss those years too. Now I say its "diaper time" which is even better.

Definitely refer to them as diapers. In fact, I have the same issue that you have when referring to diapers. I always have a hard time even saying the word diaper out loud in conversation with someone, even if that is with another AB/DL that is also rocking a diaper. I am not sure why it is hard to say, other than I have not really had too many chances to speak out loud with another about these interests that are so ingrained into most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyToddler View Post
    I know what you meant by, "I couldn't even say the word 'diaper' it made me so embarrassed when I was younger." That was the way I felt here in the USA. I got over it years ago in my teen years, now in my mid 30's. I remember back with my friends we to the movies and sit behind a big group of girls. One of my friends dare me to say the word diaper. So I said "diaper" out loud. The girls were laughing so hard they had to use the restroom. My friends were shock that I did that. The girls were still laughing even during the movie. After the movie was over we were all in the parking lot. One the girls came over and ask me why I said the word diaper. She was the older one of the group. I told her I was dared from one of my friends. She said that it was so funny the way I said the word diaper is like I really meant it. This was back in my teen years. I miss those years too. Now I say its "diaper time" which is even better.
    Wow, huh! maybe she was ABDL all along too haha! guess we'll never know!

I remember early in secondary school during the christmas season our chemistry teacher sacked-off a proper lesson and we watched cartoons. He put on this Tom and Jerry which had Jerry themed as a baby in diapers. We were all fooling around and what have you during this cartoon and then at the end one of my mates said to me 'I bet you wear nappies don't you!' It was, of course, banter and I just shrugged it off. but MAN, that felt awkward!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaur View Post
    Wow, huh! maybe she was ABDL all along too haha! guess we'll never know!

I remember early in secondary school during the christmas season our chemistry teacher sacked-off a proper lesson and we watched cartoons. He put on this Tom and Jerry which had Jerry themed as a baby in diapers. We were all fooling around and what have you during this cartoon and then at the end one of my mates said to me 'I bet you wear nappies don't you!' It was, of course, banter and I just shrugged it off. but MAN, that felt awkward!!
    Good cartoon I have it on dvd.

I choose nappy because I think it's a cute word and also because I don't like the lose of British-English

i used to have the same hang-ups about 'nappy' (my heart probably still skips a beat at it's mention, now and then), but t' internet has made me more at ease with it and more using of, 'diaper'.

additonally, resulting from my trawls of the histories of the words, my better understanding of their correct uses has given me a discriminating technical bent which allows me to be more discerning and dismissive. sounds pompous, but, so what?
    so, nowadays, i have more of a dispassionate aloofness about the useage of both words.