Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The grown-ups with teddy bears

Talking The grown-ups with teddy bears

I just saw this magazine article on the BBC website and thought it was pretty interesting... It's about famous people and their teddy bears! Sir Robert Clark (never heard of him either) took the teddy bear he was given in 1926 (aged 2) everywhere with him, even when parachuting into enemy territory and being held as a prisoner of war!

I wonder if there's a little bit of AB in everyone...

BBC News - A Point of View: The grown-ups with teddy bears

I'm not sure if it's AB or an attachment to a comfort object so much... However you did remind me I do have to go "rescue" mine from my parent's house sometime soon.

Dianna Agron, who plays quinn on glee still has her first teddy bear that she revived when she was born

Never having had a teddy bear as a kid (never felt the need for one) I always assumed it was simply a kid thing but when I went to uni I was really surprised that most people, both guys and girls, still had them and quite a few had brought them to uni so it isn't that far of a stretch that lots never give them up (or at least keep them for as long as possible).

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Never having had a teddy bear as a kid (never felt the need for one) I always assumed it was simply a kid thing but when I went to uni I was really surprised that most people, both guys and girls, still had them and quite a few had brought them to uni so it isn't that far of a stretch that lots never give them up (or at least keep them for as long as possible).
    Oh wow! I hope you had some sort of cuddly plush, or at least have one now? they are soooo awesome.

I would guess that most of them have a little kid inside them. Nostalgia is a powerful comfort to many, some like us take it a little further than most. It does make one feel safe at night, especially when time are tough. If I got sent to a war camp, I would want my pikachu (I'm glad I am not in the army).

I took a break from teddy bears somewhere between the ages of 10 and 19. After I really started coming to terms with myself and accepting my AB/DL side I got myself a cheap teddy bear from my uni's gift shop. It felt so much better to sleep with a teddy but he got beat up pretty fast and ended up taking up residence in my room at home next to my stuffed animals from my childhood. Right now my bed is filled with a few different bears, I'll add a picture later.

Sno - Light blue bear with snowflakes
    Sky - Blue bear with white stars
    Boom - Thunder buddy bear from the movie Ted (admittedly he isn't much more than a placeholder because I don't like his texture that much)
    Camo - Amazing green camouflaged bear that my little bro sent me
    Tails - Plush cougar

I don't normally go to one of my houses without brining at least 1 buddy to snuggle with a night. Normally Camo is the winner, however Sky's the second best cuddle buddy so he gets to go a lot of places where I'd be a bit more scared to bring Camo. It's simply amazing how much of a difference a nights sleep with these bears is, I don't think I could ever go back.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    Oh wow! I hope you had some sort of cuddly plush, or at least have one now? they are soooo awesome.
    I have been thinking about it but part of me feels like it would be a waste of money as I don't think I'd end up using it much, we'll see though because if the right one catches my eye then I may just have to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluehusky View Post
    ...you did remind me I do have to go "rescue" mine from my parent's house sometime soon.
    Ive written before about how (overly)attached to my plushies I was growing up; I literally couldn't sleep without them untill I was at least 14, but I did eventually stop sleeping with them when I was 16 or 17. However, I do now miss all of them, and I also need to rescue them from my parents at some point, tho I don't know how to 'smuggle' them out!

My cuddling plushies is actually pretty recent. I have my favorite light-grey bear which my late sister got for me in the early 90s, which I hadn't cuddled until just last year.