Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My poor mother

Default My poor mother

My mother just can't win all thanks to me. She doesn't want to embarrass me about my diapers so she will dumb it down when she mentions it. Like today she told me the bathroom stinks and then she told me if I put bleach in the bucket and I said I did and maybe I didn't put enough in there. Then she said maybe it needs to be cleaned and I said "I don't know how to do that" and then she said she meant the other thing. I said "oh the bleach" and she said no the other thing, they need to be washed. I then realized what she meant and she said she meant the diapers. I told her she can just say it instead of dumbing it down. She told me if she says it, then I get embarrassed, if she doesn't say it, then I don't know what she is talking about. I then told her just do her best and she said she did do her best.

I had realized this is a no win situation for her so I thought "my poor mother."

Ummm...put Mom first and take better care of your expensive diaps? It sounds like your mom knows. Be direct with each other ( if she knows) and I bet things will work out. Hang tight(ly diapered)!

Default My poor mother

I regret being an asshole to my mom with my bad diaper cleanup habits, go do what she wants you to do. Sounds like you have a parent who is at least slightly supportive; try to not make her stance on the issue change.

She has known about me wearing them since I started. I try and keep the smell away. Since bathrooms are supposed to stink, that is where I change because it smells when I change and it's where I keep the used cloth diapers. My husband and I can smell nothing with the lid on but my mom can still smell it. I also use air fresheners after I change or dump the water put of the bucket before washing them.

Cloth is a bitch to deal with but they are inexpensive and save us money. Plus the smell so I use bleach now and fabric softener sheets when I dry them. Mom taught me how to use bleach with it. But I think it's all worth it for saving money.

in my wierdest dreams i cant see myself having this kind of coversation with my mother

sounds interesting...

ouch, though I don't usually get much of a stink in my bathroom, 'cept when I poop one, which I clean all the solids off before putting it in the bucket, I also wash em as soon as I get a full washer load (4 diapers with inserts) usually within 2 days on weekdays, and daily on weekends (I wear a disposable to work, but keep a cloth one around if I have to change in the afternoon)

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    My husband and I can smell nothing with the lid on but my mom can still smell it.
    By chance, are you or your husband smokers? If so, then that would account for why you two can't detect the smell and your mother can. It's a medical fact that most non-smokers can smell things smokers can't.

I'm curious about the bleach. I know for a fact, (lesson learned the hard way) that bleach will really deteriorate the fabric in cloth diapers. Are you using one of the so called "safe" bleaches? If not, I think you will begin to see holes in your diapers, which is not good. I suppose you could put a little washing machine detergent in your bucket instead of bleach, or something like Borax of Dreft, which were designed for diapers, if I recall correctly.

They say you shouldn't use dryer sheets with cloth diapers as they clog the pores in the cloth, making them less absorbent.

I do think that you need to find a solution so that you can be considerate to your mom. It's understandable that she doesn't want to call them diapers, because her grown daughter is wearing them out of choice, rather than need. I try to be considerate of my wife, though she will on occasion, call them diapers. She too is hesitant, and I think it's because she wants to see me as her big strong husband, which I typically am, rather than an infantilist. I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    By chance, are you or your husband smokers? If so, then that would account for why you two can't detect the smell and your mother can. It's a medical fact that most non-smokers can smell things smokers can't.
    we don't smoke. My husband used to be one but quit before we even met. I've never been one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm curious about the bleach. I know for a fact, (lesson learned the hard way) that bleach will really deteriorate the fabric in cloth diapers. Are you using one of the so called "safe" bleaches? If not, I think you will begin to see holes in your diapers, which is not good. I suppose you could put a little washing machine detergent in your bucket instead of bleach, or something like Borax of Dreft, which were designed for diapers, if I recall correctly.

They say you shouldn't use dryer sheets with cloth diapers as they clog the pores in the cloth, making them less absorbent.

I do think that you need to find a solution so that you can be considerate to your mom. It's understandable that she doesn't want to call them diapers, because her grown daughter is wearing them out of choice, rather than need. I try to be considerate of my wife, though she will on occasion, call them diapers. She too is hesitant, and I think it's because she wants to see me as her big strong husband, which I typically am, rather than an infantilist. I get it.
    It's color safe. Where can I find safe bleach at?

Mom doesn't call them diapers because she doesn't want to embarrass me.