Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know there's been a thread about the 15-stone baby... but what did you think about the show?

Default I know there's been a thread about the 15-stone baby... but what did you think about the show?

I know there's been a thread already, but it was kind of a 'I watched it' thread, I thought it might be cool to actually have a more intellectual chat about it.

While I think the folks who went on it (hi you guys!) Were pretty open and down-to-earth about it, I think the producers wanted to paint ABDLs in a certain light.

I actually came across the show as a consequence of this article in the Guardian (a liberal UK newspaper)

TV Review: The 15-Stone Babies; Pensioners Behind Bars | Television & radio | The Guardian

and I think it nails on the head the message that the show was trying to deliver: that "AB's are missing something" (a childhood/a bereavment/loss of a child etc.)

Here's the thing, I don't buy it...

I totally appreciate that some ABDL folk might feel that they're compensating for a loss/absence; and that's fine. I wouldn't want to sound insensitive to that... but, what I mean is, does ABDL have to represent a 'compensation' for something? ABDL is what I do... I've had some rough-with-the-smooth in life, but I'm not sold the idea that I wouldn't be ABDL if my whole life had come up roses...

what do other people think?
    Last edited by Jsaur; 31-Jan-2013 at 10:39. Reason: (Just making my point a bit clearer.)

overall I thought it was better then some AB documentaries
    and I thought that Kat from Colorado was hot
    I think ab/dl acceptance is improvong but it's got along way to go.

Default I know there's been a thread about the 15-stone baby... but what did you think about the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaur View Post
    ... does ABDL have to represent a 'compensation' for something? ABDL is what I do... I've had some rough-with-the-smooth in life, but I'm not sold the idea that I wouldn't be ABDL if my whole life had come up roses...
    I'm totally with you on this one.

I once told my dad about it (it was many years ago and I'm pretty sure he didn't mind. I actually think he forgot I ever told him that) but one of the comments he made was that he thought it may have had something to do with the fact I was born 3 month prematurely and that, because of the handicap that resulted from it (I have CP), I had a "need" to relive my childhood.

Now, I can't say I completely disagree with him, but I can't help feeling uneasy about it. I feel it's like saying that this baby side of me isn't natural, like it isn't part of me and it's only there as a result of an unfortunate event. I personally don't like this interpretation since it tends to paint Ab/Dl desires like an unfortunate result (eg: "it's a good thing to not be like this; it means you had a good childhood") which IMHO is complete rubbish. To me, the Ab/Dl lifestyle is a wonderful thing which lets you explore another facet of your personality. Why should it have to be the result of a negative experience?

Default Re: I know there's been a thread about the 15-stone baby... but what did you think about the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaur View Post
    I know there's been a thread already, but it was kind of a 'I watched it' thread, I thought it might be cool to actually have a more intellectual chat about it.

While I think the folks who went on it (hi you guys!) Were pretty open and down-to-earth about it, I think the producers wanted to paint ABDLs in a certain light.

I actually came across the show as a consequence of this article in the Guardian (a liberal UK newspaper)

TV Review: The 15-Stone Babies; Pensioners Behind Bars | Television & radio | The Guardian

and I think it nails on the head the message that the show was trying to deliver: that "AB's are missing something" (a childhood/a bereavment/loss of a child etc.)

Here's the thing, I don't buy it...

I totally appreciate that some ABDL folk might feel that they're compensating for a loss/absence; and that's fine. I wouldn't want to sound insensitive to that... but, what I mean is, does ABDL have to represent a 'compensation' for something? ABDL is what I do... I've had some rough-with-the-smooth in life, but I'm not sold the idea that I wouldn't be ABDL if my whole life had come up roses...

what do other people think?
    Well when people do research on a subject, they often try to come up with an answer how and why. Those people that were featured on the documentry were treated with respect. Nothing was in the "spin cycle" so to speak. They allowed the participants to voice themselves and paint a picture of their little side and their normal lives without adjusting them. It was definitely the best documentary I've seen about us. There was no redicule from the editors or narrator.
    If you look at Dr. Phil's shows that involved abdl, he made fun of it each time. His shows aren't positive for us because he opens his insult cannon making the participant a laughing stock with his jokes. If you watch the recent show, he doesn't help with anything really and just made a sideshow comedy out of it. When asked to help the participant find the answer, he only says that it is a fetish. Nothing more.

Those participants on 15 stone baby definitely were very respectful for others like us. They just did what they've usually done without adding or taking away anything. For a mainstream show like this, I was surprised by the respect and how they really shined a brighter light for us and seperating assumptions from facts.

Countdown

any documentary that features this clown...

http://i.imgur.com/lm6jD8J.png

is going to get laughed at & ridiculed

the reason most people watched the documentary was so they could bask in how normal, uncreepy, & superior they are... it was like a feel-good film...

It was probably the nicest documentary I've ever seen on us, I felt it was probably the best documentary that could have been made and still be entertaining...minus the sissy drenching himself in talcum powder :|

Default Re: I know there's been a thread about the 15-stone baby... but what did you think about the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    any documentary that features this clown...

http://i.imgur.com/lm6jD8J.png

is going to get laughed at & ridiculed

the reason most people watched the documentary was so they could bask in how normal, uncreepy, & superior they are... it was like a feel-good film...
    I have to agree with you on that guy lol. He kind of went over the top

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Well when people do research on a subject, they often try to come up with an answer how and why. Those people that were featured on the documentry were treated with respect. Nothing was in the "spin cycle" so to speak. They allowed the participants to voice themselves and paint a picture of their little side and their normal lives without adjusting them. It was definitely the best documentary I've seen about us. There was no redicule from the editors or narrator.
    If you look at Dr. Phil's shows that involved abdl, he made fun of it each time. His shows aren't positive for us because he opens his insult cannon making the participant a laughing stock with his jokes. If you watch the recent show, he doesn't help with anything really and just made a sideshow comedy out of it. When asked to help the participant find the answer, he only says that it is a fetish. Nothing more.

Those participants on 15 stone baby definitely were very respectful for others like us. They just did what they've usually done without adding or taking away anything. For a mainstream show like this, I was surprised by the respect and how they really shined a brighter light for us and seperating assumptions from facts.
    Thanks, that's a great comment. Don't get me wrong, I thought the show was a big step in the right direction; I think it just left me with a sense of how far we've got to go. The documentary wasn't full of spin but it was pretty selective with its content... I suppose that's the nature of the beast with mainstream media however...

as for the talcum powder guy, maybe he wasn't the best diplomat for the ABDL community but I liked that he had the balls to go on there and not only expose himself to ridicule but actually shrug it off. He came across as very happy and unabashed by his ABDL side; which was less clear-cut in the case of some of the other individuals.

I liked the documentary, it was made with respect.
    As for the reasons/causes to be ABDL I think it varies a lot from person to person. What irritates me, however, is when the focus moves to the sexual aspect of it. As an asexual I'm really tired of the endless discussions and articles that tries to make every little thing around us a sexual issue. Bleah. (sorry for the rant, this is my pet hate)

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    I liked the documentary, it was made with respect.
    As for the reasons/causes to be ABDL I think it varies a lot from person to person. What irritates me, however, is when the focus moves to the sexual aspect of it. As an asexual I'm really tired of the endless discussions and articles that tries to make every little thing around us a sexual issue. Bleah. (sorry for the rant, this is my pet hate)
    Yeah, I can see how that must be frustrating. For what it's worth, I think psychoanalysis is more progressive toward the complexity of sexuality and its absence than it ever has been. I mean it's been nearly a century since Freud died and his ideas are widely refuted these days. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water (if you'll excuse the pun) in this instance however. For a lot of us there will be a sexual aspect to our ABDL side. I certainly agree though that asexuality needs to be explored in greater depth at an academic level (by asexuals, for asexuals) so as to be better understood.
    I see a kind of analogy in the research I did into Islamic feminism some years back... (excuse the tangent, I hope you see where I'm coming from) To paraphrase an Egyptian feminist: "we all bought the pencil-skirts in the 60's, kidding ourselves that we were free from Islamic patriarchy. It didn't last. It didn't work. If Muslim women are going to emancipate themselves, it must be on their terms, not the West's". (incidentally, fascinating subject. Taught me a great deal.)