Thread: Working during college

Default Working during college

So I'm going to college in September and I'm trying to save as much money as I can now to help pay but I think I'm going to need some sort of income while I'm away. I won't have any mode of personal transportation while at college, just a buss pass! I'm thinking of applying at the mall and within the college to possibly get an on campus position.

What are your experiences with this? Did you find working during college too much? Was it hard to get an on campus position?

When I was in college, I was a church music major, so I always had a student church job. Eventually, it paid for half of my college. My kids worked all through college, and got their degrees. Our oldest son was a dorm resident, and that really helped out with expenses. Our other son worked in one of the school restaurants, and our daughter did all kinds of jobs, including the meals. They all worked during the summer as well. Our oldest son got his degree, and later his Masters and is now a head school principal. Our other son, while working, got his undergraduate degree and his Masters. He's a teacher and a football coach, with a state football championship. Our daughter who we called the queen of the W-2's, got her undergraduate degree and Masters from one college, having graduated Cum Laud, and went on to get her doctorate. She now is a professor at a big university, and the associate director of their E-portfolio. Because she graduated Cum Laud, the university paid for her Masters, and the same was true for her doctorate. In exchange, she taught 3 classes of freshman English.

It can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When I was in college, I was a church music major, so I always had a student church job. Eventually, it paid for half of my college. My kids worked all through college, and got their degrees. Our oldest son was a dorm resident, and that really helped out with expenses. Our other son worked in one of the school restaurants, and our daughter did all kinds of jobs, including the meals. They all worked during the summer as well. Our oldest son got his degree, and later his Masters and is now a head school principal. Our other son, while working, got his undergraduate degree and his Masters. He's a teacher and a football coach, with a state football championship. Our daughter who we called the queen of the W-2's, got her undergraduate degree and Masters from one college, having graduated Cum Laud, and went on to get her doctorate. She now is a professor at a big university, and the associate director of their E-portfolio. Because she graduated Cum Laud, the university paid for her Masters, and the same was true for her doctorate. In exchange, she taught 3 classes of freshman English.

It can be done!
    Wow! Good for them! You have very smart children. I wont be in school that long, three years max, so my expenses wont be that huge. Its comforting to know that others were able to work while doing high intensity programs like those! Thanks for your feedback (:

What major? Its a factor, as is whether you are willing to stretch your studies to 5 years. If your school has some sort of internship program its something you should look into.

In general working while in school is feasible but expect your GPA to be lower than it would be otherwise and good luck getting free time.

I am currently working in an on campus position. It is 15 hours a week at minimum wage, and does not nearly cover the cost of tuition (then again I go to an expensive school). Overall, having a job is good as it gives you experience working for someone. You just have to make sure that it doesn't interfere with with your academics and other patterns such as sleep. You should not work more than 15 hours a week, nor do I recommend getting a job in the wee hours of the morning. I recommend getting a job doing something academically related, such as tutoring or working in a department (particularly in your area of study). Otherwise, most other departments rely on student assistants in some capacity, as they help get many of the tedious yet menial tasks done.

Working as a TA, an RA or a marker is really nice as the hours are pretty minimal (8-15h) an it puts you on a prof's good side (always good when looking for references). The issue is that those jobs are pretty much impossible to get in first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Working as a TA, an RA or a marker is really nice as the hours are pretty minimal (8-15h) an it puts you on a prof's good side (always good when looking for references). The issue is that those jobs are pretty much impossible to get in first year.
    This is excellent advice. I was a TA in college and grad school. While I only got paid hourly as an undergrad, as a grad student I got my tuition paid for and a salary. I also got my current job by networking with a former TA of one of the professors I worked for.

Additionally, I think I learned just as much about the material as a TA as a student, since I was responsible for explaining it and answering questions.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm actually going to be going to school to become a paramedic. I don't need the job to cover the cost of tuition but I would like to have my own spending money instead of leeching off my parents! Unfortunately I can't tutor until my second year but I'm going to look into being a student Rep of sorts and giving tours and such.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    This is excellent advice. I was a TA in college and grad school. While I only got paid hourly as an undergrad, as a grad student I got my tuition paid for and a salary. I also got my current job by networking with a former TA of one of the professors I worked for.
    I was a TA for one semester in undergraduate. I was paid $150.

It was about the connections and experience, not the money.