Thread: Should I try another make of synth than the major manufactuers?

Default Should I try another make of synth than the major manufactuers?

I usually shy away from other brands (especially Casio) because of their lack in popularity and musician endorsements. But I have seen Youtube videos for Waldorf and Access. They sound like they make pretty badass sounds. But Access hasnt released something new for five years, so somehow they probably are feeling confident the Virus and Ti Polar are selling well.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth thinking out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    I usually shy away from other brands (especially Casio) because of their lack in popularity and musician endorsements. But I have seen Youtube videos for Waldorf and Access. They sound like they make pretty badass sounds. But Access hasnt released something new for five years, so somehow they probably are feeling confident the Virus and Ti Polar are selling well.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth thinking out of the box?
    Casio makes a good product for the price, but when it comes to keyboards, it's all about the amount of sampling, and chips dedicated to that. I have used Korgs most of my musical life as they devote a fair amount of sampling to their sounds. Their weakest sound is the acoustic piano, and I supplement that with a Kurzweil module.

Some people like Yamaha, and they do a good job emulating acoustic instruments, but so does Korg. Both Korg and Yamaha are part of the same company. I've noticed that Black musicians tend to favor Roland, and it to is a good instrument. I'm a live player, so I've not gotten into computer add-ons, but I'm sure we have members who are, and can help you.

In the end, a good keyboard is going to cost $2000.00, like my Korg Triton. I love playing it however. I did a gig with my band, and we were playing for 20,000 people. We shared the stage with another band that featured a front man who played sax. He was so good, that he played two saxes at the same time, and played harmony with himself. While we were playing, and they were on break, he came running back to the stage because he thought someone was playing his sax. He looked at me on my Korg, and said "You!" "I thought you were playing my sax." We both laughed, but I felt really good that I could fool someone that professional. So you get what you pay for.

Default Re: Should I try another make of synth than the major manufactuers?

Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) also endorses Korg. His keyboard work is very complex and has some great sounds, even live. I've wanted to try picking up on keyboards, but my current job kind of takes away anything that consumes time.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I dont mind Korg. I have a R3. I would like to try out the kronos or krome. When I look.at a keyboard one of the first things I look at is how many sounds does it have?
    I dig deeper in looking at how the strings and piano sound, then Ilook at what leads, polykey, pad and bass synth options it has. I have a Roland Juno Gi and it serves me well (although i wish I had something like a Jupiter 50 or 80).

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Casio makes a good product for the price, but when it comes to keyboards, it's all about the amount of sampling, and chips dedicated to that. I have used Korgs most of my musical life as they devote a fair amount of sampling to their sounds. Their weakest sound is the acoustic piano, and I supplement that with a Kurzweil module.

Some people like Yamaha, and they do a good job emulating acoustic instruments, but so does Korg. Both Korg and Yamaha are part of the same company. I've noticed that Black musicians tend to favor Roland, and it to is a good instrument. I'm a live player, so I've not gotten into computer add-ons, but I'm sure we have members who are, and can help you.

In the end, a good keyboard is going to cost $2000.00, like my Korg Triton. I love playing it however. I did a gig with my band, and we were playing for 20,000 people. We shared the stage with another band that featured a front man who played sax. He was so good, that he played two saxes at the same time, and played harmony with himself. While we were playing, and they were on break, he came running back to the stage because he thought someone was playing his sax. He looked at me on my Korg, and said "You!" "I thought you were playing my sax." We both laughed, but I felt really good that I could fool someone that professional. So you get what you pay for.
    This is great wisdom :-)

Can i just add that it can never hurt to find beaten up synths in junk shops/charity shops (thrift stores) I inherited 2 of my parents synths. One is this dreadful digital thing that is brilliantly anachronistic (kind of like a 70's karaoke... it's great if you distort the hell out of it!) and the other is an old yamaha keytar (the keyboard demo is 'Last Christmas' by Wham! hahah!)

Basically, my cardinal rule is - old synths sound better if you blast them through delay/distortion/pitchshifters/Overdrive and what have you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaur View Post
    This is great wisdom :-)

Can i just add that it can never hurt to find beaten up synths in junk shops/charity shops (thrift stores) I inherited 2 of my parents synths. One is this dreadful digital thing that is brilliantly anachronistic (kind of like a 70's karaoke... it's great if you distort the hell out of it!) and the other is an old yamaha keytar (the keyboard demo is 'Last Christmas' by Wham! hahah!)

Basically, my cardinal rule is - old synths sound better if you blast them through delay/distortion/pitchshifters/Overdrive and what have you!
    Though I've never bought a keyboard on Ebay, I've been tempted. There's all sorts of equipment out there, and don't forget the modules if you have a keyboard to drive them. There are buys, like you said. Good point.

Well, old synths like the Jupiter 8 and Juno 106 is definately collectables, not necessarily what you would use for live performance but for just playing at home. They will run just like new as long as theyre treated well. I bought my Juno Gi off eBay, and for a awesome deal too. I got it for $799 new, when MSRP lists it at $1200 new. The guy was a bit reluctant to sell it for that price but oh well, my gain his loss.