Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure where to go from here.

Default I'm not sure where to go from here.

If, on the unlikely chance, that any of you guys recognize me, you probably know that I don't post a whole lot on here. However, being one of the only communities that I feel can be confided in... I have a bit of a dilemma.

I'm at the point in life where I have to decide what I'm going to do for the rest of that life. I'm pretty focused on going into the military, because military benefits are very good. I also feel that I can't learn as much (life-skill wise) as I can in college, at least, without student loan debts following me until the day I die.

Here's the two choices that I've narrowed it down to at the moment: US navy or US air force. I've talked to recruiters of all branches, and decided that the marines and army aren't for me. From what I've gathered, the Navy has some pretty darn good higher-education options if you elect to join. Moreso than the Air force, at any rate. (If I can go to college for cheap/free while I'm already in the military, that would be the best option IMHO)

However, I just don't feel like the navy is... right for me. I'd eventually like to fly planes (I'd also be quite content to just work on planes), and the USAF and navy both, obviously, have lots of planes. I feel as if the navy would have me stuck on a boat for the majority of my career, whereas the air force would be much more interesting; the thing is that I don't have any evidence to back that up.

Long story short, my brain says navy, but my gut says air force. Do you guys think I'm just being silly and having second thoughts? I'm honestly at a loss... It just doesn't feel right for me to be in the navy.

As a pilot myself, I would recommend joining the Air Force.

But you have to consider for yourself what the likelihood that if you join the Air Force you will be able to do the things that you really would like to do. While there are a lot of exciting jobs that you might enjoy, they are others that you might wind up in that don't suit your taste. There is a pretty high wash-out rate for folks who want to be fighter pilots. However, the opportunity to be a pilot for transport, cargo, or other types of planes is not as difficult.

Although I have not been in the Air Force, I do have a background in aviation. I know, that sounds strange coming from a Cowboy, right? But in addition to my own pilots license, I have been in an aviation career. I believe it is very exciting, whether flying planes or just working on them. But if you get stuck in a desk job, well . . . Maybe not so much.

Good luck however in your decision.

There's actually a shortage of military officers at the moment, so if you are really serious about the military career, join the academy in the Navy. Learn more and serve your country. It's actually something I've thought about more than once if life throws me a curve ball to what I want to do.

If I were you i would chose the USAF. I was in the USAF from Oct 1959 to Mar 1965. I feel can the educational oppertunities in the USAF are a alot better
    for when you come back to civilian life. I was able to go to 2 mechanical schools when I was in back then which worked well for civilian life for me.
    To me the most important thing you will learn is people. You will meet people from all walks of life from all over the country that you will have to live
    and work with 24/7. You will have to give up your AB/DL lifestyle while in the military. I think your oppertunitys are wide open. Only you can make the best of it.

I'd join the Air Force as well. Friends of mine who were in the navy were often out at sea for months at a time. Shore time was brief. There also is the whole sea sick thing if you're on a smaller ship like a destroyer. Of course, if you went to college/university and got your degree, you would be on a fast track to be an officer, and the pay would be much better. Like Geno said, apply to a military college/uni and see what happens.

i got to say this right off the bat;
    it doesn't matter what branch of the Military that you join... almost everyone is sent on deployment of some sort. yes, if it is the Navy, that deployment is very likely going to be on board a ship. as we say in the Nav; men belong on ships, and ships belong at sea! well, boats (subs) belong under it.... (my particular poison)

but i would guess that those fly-fly boys get deployed to some out of the way dusty air base with lousy food and not much by the way of personal amenities sometimes.... where they work in open hangers regardless of the time of year.... (i am just guessing... LOL)

i will say that if your going to join as an enlisted person; get a guaranteed A-school (or whatever it is called in this century)... at least then you will have some say over what you will get your first training for and the field of work that they will put you in.

on the other hand, getting yourself into the air force or navy academy will give you a much broader choice (and exposure) over what you want to do in either branch of the Military. i also think that they have programs that prepay some of your schooling if you per-sign with them. i don't know for sure so you will have to check all of that out if you haven't already.

me personally; the Navy puts on a hell of a feed-bag regardless of what ship that you get on. but as you want to do something with flying, that is going to be a "bird-farm" (aircraft carrier). and i hear they feed very well indeed.... though if you want the best food of any branch anywhere in the service... go subs... no buddy eats better of does it deeper than us!

please understand; any deployment can be, and is hard... you have to get along with the people that you serve with. or your not going to last. the Military can be a very socially and emotionally demanding environment depending on where you are stationed....

Good Luck....

Having no experience in the military I can't offer any advice on which branch to join however I'd say don't just join for the benefits and in regards to higher education, don't go to college unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you want to study and how you will benefit from that degree in the future. From what I've heard Americans have an inordinate amount of student debt and you do not want that to hang over you for the rest of your life. Contrary to popular opinion you can have a job and be successful without a degree and if you think that college would be of no benefit to you then seriously don't go to it because it will be a waste of your time and money.

sup man current military here. if you are joining for the education options the programs are the same across the board, with the exception of the enlisted to officer programs. There is a program called Tuition Assistance which gives you $4,500 a year to take classes in your off time. I took 6 classes last year and max it out, plus as a single junior enlisted you are eligable for the pell grant to cover anything that isn't covered.

That being said do not join just for education, you will be miserable and it will show in your performance. I have an aviation mechanics bachground, If you want to do aviation the Navy actually has better and more efficient program in place, it is closer to how civilian workers operate. The airforce mechanics are treated like children and the safety procedures in place are overbearing which makes simple jobs take much longer than they should. I would suggest just doing your homework and don't sign a contract unless it has the job you want on it.

Navy.

If your stationed at a Military Base, odds are the Navy one will be in a better location than Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'd join the Air Force as well. Friends of mine who were in the navy were often out at sea for months at a time. Shore time was brief. There also is the whole sea sick thing if you're on a smaller ship like a destroyer. Of course, if you went to college/university and got your degree, you would be on a fast track to be an officer, and the pay would be much better. Like Geno said, apply to a military college/uni and see what happens.
    That's what I'm afraid of - being stuck on a ship instead of doing what I'd like to be doing. Thing is, the Navy has many more bases, and also many more travel options. If possible, I'm going to be using tuition assistance to take online classes. (in fact, one of my cousins in the USAF just got her 2nd masters degree from online classes)

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Having no experience in the military I can't offer any advice on which branch to join however I'd say don't just join for the benefits and in regards to higher education, don't go to college unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you want to study and how you will benefit from that degree in the future. From what I've heard Americans have an inordinate amount of student debt and you do not want that to hang over you for the rest of your life. Contrary to popular opinion you can have a job and be successful without a degree and if you think that college would be of no benefit to you then seriously don't go to it because it will be a waste of your time and money.
    I'm joining the military because it's a guaranteed job doing (probably) what I'd love to be doing. The benefits are certainly nice, but it's more than that. Also, I know what I want to study should I take college classes, and the military can provide an opportunity to get that degree.

Thanks for your help, guys. I think that with the education & job opportunities, it looks like the Navy is the right choice for me.