Thread: My son showing interest in the potty?

Default My son showing interest in the potty?

My son will sometimes point to his potty and then tug at his diapers. I take them off him and sit him on it. I think that is a good sign because he seems to be showing interest in it. But he hasn't peed in it yet nor pooped. he just sits on it and nothing comes out. He did pee once in it back in October but it was only that one time and it was probably good timing, not that he was holding it. Back then he wasn't ready and showed no interest and now he is pointing to his potty.

This is a relief because it tells me despite that he has seen me in diapers, he is still interested in the potty and I have kept telling him every time I change his diaper if he would learn to use the potty like his dad and grandma and grandpa, he wouldn't have to get his butt wiped anymore or even have to get his diaper changed. Sometimes he hates getting his diaper changed because he then has to stop what he is doing and he doesn't like that. He doesn't like getting his butt wiped either nor when I dig in his butt hole as I wipe the poo off. So i tell him if he learns to use the potty and not wear diapers anymore, he won't have to deal with that anymore. I try and encourage him and now he seems to start showing interest.

Any incontinent parents on here had good luck toilet training their kids without any trouble despite being seen in diapers by them?

Even though I am not IC, it's still a good sign he is showing interest because that means me wearing them may not effect his toilet training.

He will naturally want I be potty trained over time. Your modeling the use of diapers could delay the process and might even undermine you, but if he is showing interest in the potty it is a good thing.

try to work it with him to figure out when he has to go before he goes, thats the key, then sit him down on the potty, he'll figure it out pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by Calico
    Any incontinent parents on here had good luck toilet training their kids without any trouble despite being seen in diapers by them?

Even though I am not IC, it's still a good sign he is showing interest because that means me wearing them may not effect his toilet training.
    I read the other thread pertaining to this and I see the difficulty here. It's a great thing some interest is at least shown. I'm not sure how old he is whether to gauge how bad the situation is currently. If he's approaching 3 or 4 now, it could lead to a lot of issues later on.

If I were in your shoes (as others mentioned) I would stop wearing diapers outside the bedroom and keep all AB/DL paraphernalia hidden, also to make your non wearing obvious. That would probably help reinforce that to your son better and you could get the process done and over with. To me, that would be the responsible thing to do if I were a parent. It would be hard as hell to give up doing that if it's such a set in routine, but it's ultimately what would be best. I'd say different, but you are not incontinent and have the easier option.

Talk it over with your husband, and make a plan.

I think that naturally at a certain age, one starts to develop an interest towards the toilet and what it is and why mom and dad use it. I think maybe right now since he isn't using it, he may just want to know what it is and pretend he is "grown up". I think the solution of potty training him, (if that is what you want to accomplish) would be to introduce him to potty training paraphelia and develop an interest that way. I really do not see your diapers as a problem, when we are younger we want to be grown up and one of the ways you are seen as grown up is by using the potty and not using diapers. So I really do not see the diapers as a problem because most likely he just wants to get out of his and not go back. I would suggest just introducing him to the potty or have him watch your husband use the toilet to see how it is done.