Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car troubles

Default car troubles

So I've been having car troubles with my both of my cars. My blue(my avatar) took a crap on me about a month and a half ago. She needs at least 350 dollars worth of maintenance to get her running again. My black volvo 850 is pretty close to giving up and I don't know if I should put the money into it or just sell it for cheap. Considering a rebuild cost about 1000 bucks for just a basic setup. So should I fix blue first or fix the black one? Or just sell the black volvo? Your guy's help is much appreciated.

What needs a re-build and what year are both vehicles. What needs to be replaced on what car that costs around 350. There's not enough information given.

Since we are discussing car problems I will post my own.

When I depress the clutch pedal (while the engines off) I hear a squeaking noise. From the drivers seat it sounds like its comming from the bel housing. All I want to know is should I be concerned.

The real question is do you need both vehicles and what kind of money do you have available? I you can afford the repairs choose the vehicle you would most prefer to drive, otherwise make the choice based on what you can afford.

The other option might be to sale both of them and then just use public transit. Again this depends on where you are located and your particular needs.

Well I don't need both of them so I could easily get rid of my black sedan. The first one is a 1997 black volvo 850 t5, will need a head gasket, new turbo, a pcv system, and a tune up. All those things kinda make me think a rebuild would be better because I'm already under there taking off some major parts. My blue 2000 volvo v70r on the other hand needs five ignition coils at about 63 per coil. Then on top of that I need a couple quarts of redline transmission oil at about 12 bucks per quart. And finally a tune up kit. Well judging by the fact that I need to take my sister to school and pick her up to. I also run a bunch of errands for my dad. Financially I'm doing pretty well so no real need to worry about getting rid of everything or even then settle for public transportation.

If it were me, and I wanted to fix and keep both of them, I'd do the simpler fix (not necessarily cheaper, just simpler and faster) so that I had a working vehicle, then fix the other one after that. Since you're not worried about money, it doesn't have to be the cheaper one first, but maybe that might still be a consideration. That's up to you. But if you can afford to fix both, and you want to fix both, then fix both. If you're going to sell the black on, only fix it if you'll recover the costs when you sell it, or fix what you can recover and leave the rest.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to fix the simple things first on the blue one which is pretty simple just expensive. The black one I'm just going to sell as is to my neighbor for about a grand just so im not losing out on much. And I can probably get my dual exhaust for my wagon. Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mannymku View Post
    Well I don't need both of them so I could easily get rid of my black sedan. The first one is a 1997 black volvo 850 t5, will need a head gasket, new turbo, a pcv system, and a tune up. All those things kinda make me think a rebuild would be better because I'm already under there taking off some major parts. My blue 2000 volvo v70r on the other hand needs five ignition coils at about 63 per coil. Then on top of that I need a couple quarts of redline transmission oil at about 12 bucks per quart. And finally a tune up kit. Well judging by the fact that I need to take my sister to school and pick her up to. I also run a bunch of errands for my dad. Financially I'm doing pretty well so no real need to worry about getting rid of everything or even then settle for public transportation.
    Holy hell, I forgot how much expensive Volvo parts where. Looks like the beater sedan on it's last legs unless you want to sink in the money for it. Head gaskets are cheap, just they're kind of a bitch to work into unless you got the time and making sure you doing everything right first (oil drained, coolant drained, ect.). Of course a new turbo and pcv system for those are going to be a little more than that, unless your doing some after market deals there. Re-builds are a huge pain in the ass, head gaskets don't last forever, but them going on is usually a sign something else is ready to go. You might be able to throw a junkyard engine in there just to keep as a beater. I did that on a Neon a few years back.

Unfortunately with higher end cars with all the gadgets there not much of an investment to keep running over the long run. My buddy's Volvo had 200 dollar struts a piece, and aftermarkets couldn't fit. Can't quite remember what model though it was forever ago.

Quite the sales rep to sell a busted head gasket car to someone. Wish I had more time and room in my garage to fix em'. Such a pain in the ass, and sometimes ya usually find the head's warped :/ Probably best on the sale. If oils getting in that coolant (and vice versa), kiss most of those components good bye. But looks like I don't have to tell you that lol.

Luck to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna
    When I depress the clutch pedal (while the engines off) I hear a squeaking noise. From the drivers seat it sounds like its comming from the bel housing.
    Could be a worn out mechanism, could be that it's just old. Probably time for a re-build cause it really ain't supposed to do that haha. Rebuild kits are 150 bucks, put some good quality MTF in there.

Replacing a turbo charger is typically very expensive, so you've made the right decision to sell it. Yes, blown head gaskets usually are caused by very expensive problems. Eventually, I would consider replacing the blue Volvo as well, and get yourself a Honda, Toyota, or a Subaru, something with a very good repair record.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Could be a worn out mechanism, could be that it's just old. Probably time for a re-build cause it really ain't supposed to do that haha. Rebuild kits are 150 bucks, put some good quality MTF in there.
    I'd be surprised if its worn out because my old man a has the same truck (except his is 4wd, diesel) and he's done 100,000km more without issue.