Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Diapers at different temperatures.

Default Storing Diapers at different temperatures.

Hello all!

I am going away to school tomorrow and would like to bring my whole stash of diapers with me from home.

I intend on keeping half of my stash locked in a bag in my car but I attend MTU which is known for its brutally cold winters.

So I was wondering if this temperature extreme damages diapers in any way. While I assume it'd be safe to do so I dont want to risk my near 100 diapers because of a stupid mistake.

So any experience research or info would be awesome and I'd love to hear it all!

What kind of diapers are they? If there tape style extreme temps could definately have an effect on the tapes. The same could be true for plastic backed ones
    as well. That's alot of diapers to do harm to.

I don't know...I used to put diapers in the freezer during the hot summer months, and I never had a problem with the plastic or the tapes...they felt great to put on...I also would put diapers in the microwave for a bit in the winter, though have since discontinued that practice, since by the time I got them out and put them on, the warmth went away. Maybe I'll try putting a hand or toe warmer in one of my diapers stuffed between two diapers...hmm...

It would be mostly ATN's so plastic backed for sure. and hmmm yeah that is scary to think i may damage all of them!

I have never had a problem storing my diapers in a cold location but I suppose it is possible that the cold could affect them. I suspect that if there was an issue the package would indicate that they should be stored between certain temperatures. I know heat can be an issue, but cold only seems to affect some adhesives, at least to a point.

That said, I have done the same thing and stored the bulk of my diapers in my vehicle at many points in my life. The only times I have avoided have been during the heat of the summer. The most modern diapers I have stored I the cold have included Abena X-plus and Molicare, and no problems at all.

When plastic gets cold, it becomes brittle. It's probably not noticable at or near freezing, but starting hitting temps colder than -20C and you might see some problems. Theoretically the plastic should go back to normal when it warms up though.

Another thing to watch out for is thermal expansion and contraction. The padding may not shrink or expand as much as the plastic when cooled/warmed, combine that with brittle plastic at very cold temperature and you might have a problem. Additionally, going from -30C outside to 20C inside could be a bit of a thermal shock depending just how quickly or unevenly the things warm up.

All of that said, I don't think you'll have a problem, though I don't know if I'd be willing to bet 100 diapers on it.

edit: there's also some potential that the adhesive on the tapes could freeze solid and become messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    When plastic gets cold, it becomes brittle. It's probably not noticable at or near freezing, but starting hitting temps colder than -20C and you might see some problems. Theoretically the plastic should go back to normal when it warms up though.

Another thing to watch out for is thermal expansion and contraction. The padding may not shrink or expand as much as the plastic when cooled/warmed, combine that with brittle plastic at very cold temperature and you might have a problem. Additionally, going from -30C outside to 20C inside could be a bit of a thermal shock depending just how quickly or unevenly the things warm up.

All of that said, I don't think you'll have a problem, though I don't know if I'd be willing to bet 100 diapers on it.

edit: there's also some potential that the adhesive on the tapes could freeze solid and become messed up.
    You are talking some pretty cold temperatures.

Keep the diapers away from the kitchen. Unless if you want your diapers to smell like food. Some diapers will absorb food oder. I can't remember the brand I had long time ago. But they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddlerNeil View Post
    Keep the diapers away from the kitchen. Unless if you want your diapers to smell like food. Some diapers will absorb food oder. I can't remember the brand I had long time ago. But they are out there.
    Nice, French Fry scented diapers!

yeah, I remember having the sun visor clip (plastic) in my work truck shatter like glass one particularly cold morning. I don't think the cold itself will damage them, but, if they are handled in -40 weather, I don't think they'd hold up to handling at that temp.. not much does,

my mom's place sees some of the coldest temps in ConUS, 2 weeks ago the clutch froze on her pickup truck, it took 3 days to thaw it out, thankfully she didn't lose any chickens (they're acclimated) to that cold spell hit -45F new years day