Thread: Feeling safe

Default Feeling safe

Ok i know im not bi sexual or gay im a straight man but i really needs answers i just wanted to know why it is that i feel safe around black men? I just cant put it together so im asked my friends here on adisc why this may be

Uhhhh. Without further background information, I would have no idea why that would be without taking random stabs in the dark.

Perhaps you just do......?

Countdown

well... are you black?

No i am white and sorry i did not give enough information Put it to you this way tho when im around some black guys i feel safe like in the since that know one will mess with me

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    No i am white and sorry i did not give enough information Put it to you this way tho when im around some black guys i feel safe like in the since that know one will mess with me
    Then I guess you answered your own question.

I disagree. I believe your mom was saved from a disaster by a black man while she was pregnant with you. As I recall, she was crossing a busy intersection talking on her cell phone and not paying attention to the speeding ambulance rushing directly at her. Just as she was going to be hit, a strange black man appeared from out of nowhere and pushed her out of the way. Sadly, he was hit and still suffers from amnesia. Somehow, her gratitude was imprinted on her fetus, which turned out to be you. The next time you see a black man, thank him for your life.

Okay, just having some fun at your expense I guess. Yes, one would have to know a lot more about you, really, at a psychological level. Your feeling of safety is probably a false one. In fact, you may actually feel threatened by random, black males. Knowing a black person as a friend and being in their company may afford a sense of familiarity and thus negate the fear of the "black stranger". We tend to fear the things we don't know or understand, and feel safe around the familiar. I know many of my preconceptions changed when I started teaching in a predominantly black school. I actually love my kids, white or black, and I'm well accepted by both.

The eventual blending of the races, or at least socially mixing will end racism once and for all, and I welcome that day.