Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you know when you're dreaming?

Default Do you know when you're dreaming?

Specifically, have you had dreams where you knew you were only dreaming?

I've had a few. For example:

I dreamt I was on a street near my childhood home talking to a guy when I suddenly realized it was only a dream. I paused for a moment to see if I would wake up. When I didn't wake up I thought that this was really cool and that I could now do anything I wanted. I told that to the guy standing with me and he said " Oh yeah? Then have a bunch of good looking girls drive up in a red convertible." It took a little while but then this red convertible drives up with some cute girls in it. I got the back seat. He got the front. Shortly after that I woke up. (Darn)

It seems that when this happens I don't have complete conscious control over the dream as I would in a daydream, but I do have some influence over the course of the dream. I was just curious as to whether or not this is common.

They're called "lucid dreams" and are not incredibly common, but not incredibly rare either. I've only had one that I remember... I was underwater, disorientated and couldn't tell which way was up... after a bit of swimming, as my breath was running out, I realised that things felt a bit weird and I must be dreaming... I tentatively took a breath (half expecting to choke), and found I could breathe underwater! I swam around for a bit and wondered if I could just open and close my eyes really quickly and return to the dream (but, alas, I couldn't)...

I was in full control of myself in the dream (I could move around where I wanted), but I never even thought about the possibility of changing the dream world... I just accepted that, in that dream, I was trapped underwater. I think I missed an opportunity there... :-/

H0TWH33LS

I have lucid dreams very frequently and over time these dreams become more and more realistic. Sometimes I even have experience dejavu in my dreams where I will have reoccurring places and people. However these places that I am describing are not places I have been in real life but more like adaptations of places I have visited. I have been able to have such vivid lucid dreams where it is almost impossible to talk but I do manage to have conversations with recognizable people that I am able to recount after I wake up. Sometimes these dreams are so real I can experience myself struggling to talk but it seems if I "concentrate" hard enough I am able to actually have fluid conversations. I am fascinated by the brain, and dreams. Fortunately I have been able to keep a journal of these dreams which may serve for good material for some stories someday

I've had these same kinds of dreams as well, though not often, and quite awhile ago. I've also dreamed about being in the same city, on many occasions, and thought the city seems so very familiar, but can't place it. Sometimes I dream that I'm back at the Jersey Shore where I grew up, and I'm driving on a sandy road near the beach. I know I'm looking for home, my home as a kid, but I always get lost. Once, I found where I should be going, and pulled up to my home as a high school/college student. I was so overjoyed to finally "be home". I walked up the sidewalk and knocked on the front door, but no one answered. In fact, no one was home, and then I suddenly remembered that my parents couldn't answer, because they had died many years ago. I couldn't go home. I woke up so sad.

Lucid dreams, huh? Thanks!! I learned something new.

It's an interesting sensation. You feel as if you are aware of what's going on and have some control yet there are things that come up that surprise you. It's as if there is somone else in your head writing the script.

If you like lucid dreaming then you should watch Inception.

But to answer the question, no I have not lucid dreamed, although I want to very much.

Butterfly Mage

I sometimes have lucid dreams, but they are rare.

Most of my dreams, if not all of them, are lucid dreams. It's been that way for years now, even before I knew what it was called. I thought everyone was like this
    It's like my consciousness KNOWS that I'm sleeping.
    As a result, I've had very few nightmares in the last ten or so years, because I know I'm dreaming, and if things get too scary/weird, I'll just get up.
    I remember lots of times when a dream has started to get scary, and I've just thought "F*ck this, I'm gonna get some breakfast.", and got up and done just that. I don't know how it works, it just does

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar View Post
    Most of my dreams, if not all of them, are lucid dreams. It's been that way for years now, even before I knew what it was called. I thought everyone was like this
    It's like my consciousness KNOWS that I'm sleeping.
    As a result, I've had very few nightmares in the last ten or so years, because I know I'm dreaming, and if things get too scary/weird, I'll just get up.
    I remember lots of times when a dream has started to get scary, and I've just thought "F*ck this, I'm gonna get some breakfast.", and got up and done just that. I don't know how it works, it just does
    Wow! That's incredible!

I just wish I had dreams more often (or ones I remember when I wake)... I only dream a handful of times a year now. I'm not exactly sure why, but by coincidence I happened to find this interesting article: Does marijuana affect dreaming? | Lucid Guide