Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 152

Thread: GOP Future

  1. #1

    Default GOP Future

    Assuming this will be a mature conversation what do you think the future has for the GOP? After Mitt Romney unfortunately lost that questions been tossed around. I believe the GOP needs to rewrite what it stands for. America has changed and unless the GOP do something about it the elephant will be doomed.

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    I believe the GOP needs to rewrite what it stands for. America has changed and unless the GOP do something about it the elephant will be doomed.
    The Republicans have been Democrats Lite for some time, in deed if not in name. There will be a legitimate opposition party soon. Maybe the Tea Party, maybe something else with a similar platform. Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

  3. #3

    Default

    Republicans began modern American history as the centrist party (Goldwater, Eisenhower) and have moved right (Reagan, Bush). Democrats began as the leftist party (FDR, Johnson) and have steadily moved to the center (Clinton, Obama). If there's an opening in the Overton window for stances for which no political party is representing ideals, then you'll see an existing political party move to cover them or a new political party rise. Occasionally you can see a political party get a foothold not because an issue lacks a political champion, but because no one party combines a certain combination of ideas. A lot of people think of the Libertarians as being joined at the hip with Republicans, but Libertarians also believe (along with low taxes/low spending) the the government shouldn't tell a woman what she can or can't do with her uterus or a consenting adult who s/he can or can't marry.

    Right now the Republican Party is having two issues. First, there's no heir apparent. While this is not atypical following a losing Presidential campaign, the GOP seems particularly rudderless at the moment. Raise your hands if thinking about Mitch McConnell or John Boehner brings to mind words like inspriational or steadfast or, for that matter, interesting. There's also a split between the activist base and the establishment. How will the GOP solve this? I have no idea, but it's going to be fascinating nonetheless.
    Last edited by AEsahaettr; 07-Jan-2013 at 13:43.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    The Republicans have been Democrats Lite for some time, in deed if not in name. There will be a legitimate opposition party soon. Maybe the Tea Party, maybe something else with a similar platform. Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
    Funny you should mention the tea party, cause' im involved with the tea party yet I vote republican. I believe also because a vast percentage of the votes in Obamas favor last year were from single, young women and hispanics the GOP needs to focus on connecting with the younger voters, and not let the political ads of the opponent speak for them.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Funny you should mention the tea party, cause' im involved with the tea party yet I vote republican. I believe also because a vast percentage of the votes in Obamas favor last year were from single, young women and hispanics the GOP needs to focus on connecting with the younger voters, and not let the political ads of the opponent speak for them.
    Aside from it just being good policy, either the Democrats or Republicans could lock down the Hispanic vote for a generation with comprehensive immigration reform. That neither side has done so I find shocking.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    The Republicans have been Democrats Lite for some time, in deed if not in name. There will be a legitimate opposition party soon. Maybe the Tea Party, maybe something else with a similar platform. Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
    This is so backwards I hardly know where to begin.

    Firstly, American politics is waaaaaaaaay further to the right than it ever has been, historically. Obama is approximately around the same place Eisenhower was - i.e. center-right. The republicans have veered off into extremist loony territory, and it's hurting them.

    The Tea Party are one of the prime reasons that the GOP is doomed for the near future; like it or not, believe it or not, the majority of the country is not on-board with their absurd anti-government, anti-poor, anti-woman, and all-around bigoted platform.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Aside from it just being good policy, either the Democrats or Republicans could lock down the Hispanic vote for a generation with comprehensive immigration reform. That neither side has done so I find shocking.
    Yet we allow illegal aliens from Mexico to come into this country and cast votes. My dad told me in a report he read many of the states that didnt have policies against voter fraud Obama easily won, but those that did leaned partially if not all red in results. Personally with the election I thought Romney easily couldve taken Virginia, Florida and Colorado.

    Thats all too true its scary LazyAB, that the people voted for more government. A lot simply claimed 4 years wasnt enough to fix and thats why they voted for Obama. I dont believe theyre necessarily anti-woman or anti-poor. Im afraid America could easily become a socialist country. I also support gun rights.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Yet we allow illegal aliens from Mexico to come into this country and cast votes. My dad told me in a report he read many of the states that didnt have policies against voter fraud Obama easily won, but those that did leaned partially if not all red in results.
    Just about all the swing states went the way that polling said they would based on polls of likely registered voters. Unless we actually allow illegal aliens to register to vote and you can show me evidence that this is actually a problem beyond isolated cases and James O'Keefe's wet dreams, this argument doesn't agree with empirical data.



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Personally with the election I thought Romney easily couldve taken Virginia, Florida and Colorado.
    Could have, but that was an uphill battle. Nate Silver's meta-analysis had an Obama edge in all of them. Calling foul of them all going for Obama is like calling foul on a roulette wheel with slightly more black numbers than red ones for not going red.



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Thats all too true its scary LazyAB, that the people voted for more government.
    Well, there are a lot of us out there who think that the government can, and should, be a force for good.



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    I dont believe theyre necessarily anti-woman or anti-poor.
    I think the ship sailed on whether or not the GOP is anti-woman every time a Republican candidate said something about rape or birth control.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Just about all the swing states went the way that polling said they would based on polls of likely registered voters. Unless we actually allow illegal aliens to register to vote and you can show me evidence that this is actually a problem beyond isolated cases and James O'Keefe's wet dreams, this argument doesn't agree with empirical data. Could have, but that was an uphill battle. Nate Silver's meta-analysis had an Obama edge in all of them. Calling foul of them all going for Obama is like calling foul on a roulette wheel with slightly more black numbers than red ones for not going red. Well, there are a lot of us out there who think that the government can, and should, be a force for good. I think the ship sailed on whether or not the GOP is anti-woman every time a Republican candidate said something about rape or birth control.
    I stuck to Karl Roves analysis of how the race was going every week.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    I stuck to Karl Roves analysis of how the race was going every week.
    Analysis that we learned on election night to be based in ideological fantasy rather than empirical data.

    On his deathbed, Einstein lamented his life's greatest mistake- I didn't trust the numbers (referring to a period where he thought the universe was static).

    Don't make Einstein's mistake. Trust the numbers.

Similar Threads

  1. In the future...
    By Volare in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2012, 00:02
  2. What's Your Future?
    By Asher in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2012, 20:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.