View Poll Results: What fits your feelings the best?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate gender statements that reference me that only oppose my gender identity

2 13.33%
  • I hate all binary gender statements

6 40.00%
  • I never really thought about gender based statements

5 33.33%
  • I like/proud of gender statements that are referenced to me

2 13.33%

Thread: Gender bias based statments

Default Gender bias based statments

Based on this thread:
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...guy-thing.html
    Only worded better since my message was lost XD

So the idea that made me write these posts was from my family taking about stuff then my mom would say "That must be a guy thing" I feel like I am being made fun of hearing "It must be a guy thing"

Say for example my aunt is talking about how my cousin's room is messy like having clothes everywhere. When I was younger and played with a lot of toys (like legos) my room would be messy from toys ( I never littered my room with clothes) so after the exchange of stories my mom would go "It must be a guy thing." I really hate it >XD

So on top of asking if you like or dislike hearing "You must be doing a guy thing" I want to ask are you proud of hearing such a statement? Like I was wondering if you would be proud of expressing "Yeah I do guy things!"

Kind of like the same thing when you hear an ad on T.V. about diaries that have some lock on it so you only can open it then the ad saying "It is a girls thing"

Now for me I would not mind being told "must be a girls thing" but of course I am never told that because of my body >< So my feelings fit the first option. (I hate ones that reference my physical gender but ok with ones that match my gender identity)
    Last edited by CutePrincess; 03-Jan-2013 at 17:08.

I don't like it because it seems kinda sexist, to say that one gender has a monopoly on some kind of behaviour. I have a lot of masculine traits and feminine traits and have known plenty of people who do things that aren't usually done by that gender. So it seems kinda rude and a cop out to me.

Ohhh at least one vote for each now XD I hope there are more comments to come. I like to understand better why someone might feel the way they do (like the reason for voting for whatever they picked)

Not to harp on you but wouldn't the term Gender "Biased" Statements be better than gender based because if you think about it the majority of sentences are already gender based with pronouns such as "he, she" but with gender bias this would be the "must be a guy/girl thing" because you are obviously being bias against the other gender.

But to answer the question anyways, I have never really thought about the gender bias statements before, personally if I do something girly and someone says must be a girls thing, I could care less, I do not identify as a sissy or trangender but I don't give a damn if they thought that thought. Maybe it is because I am the straight guy that doesn't mind being called gay or something but I don't see a problem with the statements themselves. I don't think they are meant to hurt anyone.

How is that? (I changed the title) XD
    Hmm I take it then you would not care if you were told must be a guy or girl's thing? I doono I guess my dislike comes from being transgender (I do not want to be referenced to my body so I guess it would be the same as using correct pronouns) So I guess that is why I feel I am being made fun of when I hear them.

Countdown

the family is a big fan of em... but not usually in the form of "that is a guy thing" commentary... more like... "no wonder you got lost... men are so bad with directions... " or "bet you hate cleanin the bathroom... men hate cleanin... " the dad takes it to a whole new level givin a dissertation on why es important to be a hunter b/c the men are hunters & the women are gatherers & nurturers...

when i was younger i would contradict em & say, "well not all men/women are like that... " this was until i realized that such statements = interpreted as attacks ("your way of thinking is wrong") --> retaliation --> heightened defensiveness & more perceived attacks --> more retaliation... vicious cycle... didnt wanna take part in it, so i jus started noddin the head, smiling, and sayin yeah... they like it when people agree with em... ("your way of thinking is right" = intellectual superiority)

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    the family is a big fan of em... but not usually in the form of "that is a guy thing" commentary... more like... "no wonder you got lost... men are so bad with directions... " or "bet you hate cleanin the bathroom... men hate cleanin... " .....
    YES! I knew there was more examples but I could not remember what they were at making the thread. There is also that one "Men do not read directions" (Like directions how to build something) Or man don't ask for directions when lost.

Quote Originally Posted by CutePrincess View Post
    YES! I knew there was more examples but I could not remember what they were at making the thread. There is also that one "Men do not read directions" (Like directions how to build something)...
    Ha ha -- that's funny. I read the directions and instructions for everything! And laugh heartily when I come across the ridiculous bit: "this product is not designed to control nuclear power stations" or "this neck pillow is not a life preserver". Those lawyers have a sense of humour...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I read the directions and instructions for everything!
    Same here. I always read the directions.

I tend to only run into people labeling something as a guy thing or a girl thing when it's a job they don't want to do. For instance a man saying he doesn't want to clean something because "That's women's work." or a woman saying she doesn't want to take out the trash because "that's a guy's job." It's mainly an excuse for being lazy. Being single and in my thirties means there is no chore at home that is gender specific because if I don't do the chore it won't get done.