Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working over xmas and newyear?

Default working over xmas and newyear?

Just thought id take a quick head count of those of us that had to work on the holiday days, i work as a Nurse for the NHS, i was lucky enough to get xmas day off this year, but will be at work from new years eve and through till late on new years day.

Well I'm still looking for a job but my mom has to work all this week. She's a homecare worker so it's kind of hard to get time off on holidays because -much like a nurse- they are always needed. But she has around 20 years seniority and she managed to get Christmas off which was nice.
    Good luck on your new years shift, sounds like a doosey.

Same here, I usually have a party to DJ for New years but my current job has me scheduled to work so I recruited a friend to do the DJ work for me.

So yeah... instead of having a good time entertaining and having a few drinks I get to work right on through it.

Yes... it does make me upset... but.........

Then I consider the fact that the passage of time and current system used to measure time is a completely man made concept used to explain the passage of time. Claiming that an exact moment is New Year is ludicrous. You can easily say it's New Year at any time. It's like Holidays like Christmas. It's all just mad-made crap.

It only had meaning because we think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    Same here, I usually have a party to DJ for New years but my current job has me scheduled to work so I recruited a friend to do the DJ work for me.

So yeah... instead of having a good time entertaining and having a few drinks I get to work right on through it.

Yes... it does make me upset... but.........

Then I consider the fact that the passage of time and current system used to measure time is a completely man made concept used to explain the passage of time. Claiming that an exact moment is New Year is ludicrous. You can easily say it's New Year at any time. It's like Holidays like Christmas. It's all just mad-made crap.

Well technically we're celebrating another orbit around the sun.

i prefer to work newyear than Christmas and so does my little side so it doesnt bother me too much

I work at a restaurant... as it turns out, people want to eat regardless of the date.

I work in the retail sector so our busy time has been the day after Thanksgiving up to about the 15th of January. I've had to work Christmas Eve as well as the day after Christmas. New Year's Eve is not that big of a deal as most people are working any way and we close earlier so that we can all get our party on. This year I was one of a lucky few in the store to get New Year's Day off so I'll be able to chill with my partner as we reflect on the journey of the past year.

I work at an airport and we bid our schedules in advance for the following several months. For this current schedule we bid in October, took effect in November and will last through till about Feb. My schedule stays the same the whole time, unless I decide to drop a day (take a day off).

The answer to the question is, yes Im working both days, but I also get holiday pay (double time)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post

Well all I know is that if you get drunk, climb onto a table in a pub and count backwards from ten before wishing everyone a "happy new year"... It may be equally meaningful, but you tend to get some strange looks if you do it at 11 o'clock on a July morning...