Thread: My very first thread.

Default My very first thread.

Hi all.

I've just graduated with a music/education degree, am looking at further studies in a different field and considering teaching English in another country.

I guess I'm pretty much a garden variety DL and have been that way for 10+ years. I still haven't completely come to terms with it but am 4-5 days away from coming out to my partner of over a year. I know that's not a particularly long time, but I'd like her to know that this side of me exists and to know how she feels about it. I don't have any expectations as to how the encounter will go but I at least know that she won't be like those insensitive people on Yahoo answering similar questions. I guess I'm here to look for some help rehearsing how my side of the conversation will go. I'll do that after I peruse some of the other threads so I'm not making people repeat themselves.

Some other things - I'm a big fan of Japanese culture, especially the literature, though I'm currently reading The Little Prince and either bouncing into some Kafka or Ian Fleming. I can't decide.

Oh, and anime. I love anime and manga.

I like films and I'm kind of an HD snob. I just had my first Hitchcock experiences which were amazing - Psycho and Rear Window and I might go with 'Shadow of a Doubt' next. I also recently saw and really liked The Skin I Live In with Antonio Banderas and Elena Anaya. And while I haven't seen much, I really like French comedies. Daniel Auteuil is cool.

I'm really excited about coming out to my partner. Terrified and excited at the same time. It's another 'first' in its own right, I suppose. I mean, apart from strangers in this forum and on My Experience Project - I've not come out to anyone. I don't know how she'll react but I'm staying positive.

This is probably too long for an introductory post - sorry! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by anvmbr View Post
    This is probably too long for an introductory post - sorry! Looking forward to hearing from you.

...Nawww! This is one of those rare, great introductions that really give us a good feel for the person. I wish you luck on telling your partner and I think it's a good move to do so. If the DL side of you is a must have part of you then it's important that you are able to be open and share it with your partner. I too remember rear window.... gosh... that is an old one!

I am into anime, especially anime with robots. So Voltron, FLCL, Galaxy Express, anything with robots/robotic bodies replacing human bodies. (Another weirdness of me, obsession with humans becoming robots. Don't Ask!)

Anywho, Welcome to adisc!

Hey there, welcome to ADISC!

Coming out to your partner can be pretty nerve-wracking!

I told my Boyfriend after we'd been going out for a few months. He was looking at job opportunities after he graduated, and was considering if he would move to another town if he found a job there. It ended up that he was going to stay in town, partly so we could stay together, so I felt at that point I owed it to him to tell him about my ABDL side in case it made a difference to how he felt about me. Thankfully it didn't and were still together 5 years on.
    The ABDL stuff is not something he's into himself at all, but he's been very accepting of it.

Obviously I can't speak for how your partner would react, but if you think she's likely to be willing to at least listen to what you have to tell her, and not overreact or jump to wild conclusions, then I'd say you have a pretty good chance of things working out.

Also, I'm a big film noir fan, and Shadow of a Doubt is my favourite Hitchcock film (supposedly also his own), and one of my favourite noirs. The Blu Ray remaster is gorgeous, and Joseph Cotten is great in it; definitely go watch it

All the best,

Puppyluvs

Hi guys, thanks for replying!

BabyMitchy - I really liked FLCL and as for Voltron - I loved it when I was a kid, but watching it as an adult isn't the same for some reason. I still have a Voltron toy around here and it's definitely one of my favourite robots too though. What about the original Transformers film and show? That film is probably my favourite film ever. I've seen it hundreds of times. I think it's the only film I know about 95% of the dialogue for. I'm not familiar with Galaxy Express, but how about Neon Gen, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann? All have really cool mecha/robots.

Puppyluvs - I really enjoy reading the various success stories on here and yours has definitely contributed to keeping my spirits up! I'd love to ask for a little bit of your advice on how to approach the matter if you don't mind. I have faith in my partner but I don't want to freak her out. Obviously I won't be walking in on her while wearing or inviting her to join in at any point - I'll leave that up to her, but y'know. I'd rather be prepared.

As for Hitchcock - I couldn't agree with you more about the remasters and I will definitely watch Shadow of a Doubt next. After that, perhaps Rope or Saboteur?

Thanks again, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by anvmbr View Post
    Puppyluvs - I really enjoy reading the various success stories on here and yours has definitely contributed to keeping my spirits up! I'd love to ask for a little bit of your advice on how to approach the matter if you don't mind. I have faith in my partner but I don't want to freak her out. Obviously I won't be walking in on her while wearing or inviting her to join in at any point - I'll leave that up to her, but y'know. I'd rather be prepared.

As for Hitchcock - I couldn't agree with you more about the remasters and I will definitely watch Shadow of a Doubt next. After that, perhaps Rope or Saboteur?

Thanks again, guys!
    Happy to help if I can, feel free to ask questions here (you won't be able to use the private message system on here for a little while, till you have a few more forum posts).

I need to watch Rope again, as its been a while. It was very interesting from a technical perspective as its shot entirely of long takes (one per reel I think). I haven't actually seen Saboteur, but I'll have to remedy that, the plot sounds good. You should watch Vertigo and North by Northwest at some point as well. Also if you like the suspense and noir aesthetic in Rear Window and Shadow of a Doubt, I'd highly suggest you check out some of Billy Wilder's movies like Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard (both beautifully shot and recently remastered).

Awesome. Thanks! I'll gather my thoughts and maybe post something over the next few hours.

I will definitely check those out too. I remember seeing snippets of them while at college a few years ago but never getting around to watching them. Now that they've been remastered - I will definitely seek to get my hands on them. I'd love to spend more time watching film noir, I'll have to keep requesting recommendations periodically!

Cool, no worries

Hi and welcome to the site. You've done a great job with your intro. I too was a music major, Westminster Choir College, major in organ and church music. I'm a Instructional Assistant at a Junior High school, and a music director at a Methodist church. I enjoy literature and presently have a short story published on Nook Books, holding a four star review. I'm one chapter away from finishing my novel, and scary haunting story for kids.

I too enjoy cinema noir. I would also recommend "When Strangers Meet on a Train". Of course there are the great old ones like "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca". I'm also a fan of the original "Dracula", "Frankenstein" and "The Mummy". The play between light and shadow made these movies all the scarier. It's funny to see the colorized versions of these films, because the light and shadows don't work in color at all.