Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Pants - how they should fit

Default Plastic Pants - how they should fit

So a couple years ago I bought three pairs of plastic pants, different colors and such. One was vinyl, others were plastic. I didnt know how they should fit, so I ordered them really big. I have since lost those pairs, and contemplating getting more. Recently I have seen pictures of people wearing the plastic pants over their diaper and the pp are really tight over the diaper, pretty much what you would consider skin tight. How should they fit? If loose, how much room are we talking ? Really tight ? If loose, what are the pros/cons of having skin tight plastic pants ?

Second question. If and when pee leaks from the diaper, what good does the elastic do on the pp from the pee leaking further ? Doesnt seem like an ideal waterproof closure

David

I want my pants to fit comfortably. Also to fit over my diaper to contain any leaks. I buy plastic pants from Fetware that have one's
    made for fitting over disposeables. I wear those over my Dry24/7's every night. They work real well. I also have some with prints
    on them which I only use during the day where the posibilty of leaking isn't as great for me. Most of them are designed more for cloth.
    I wear size large. One of important measurements is the leg opening. I try to find ones that fit my thighs in the middle of the opening
    of leg elastic.

I wear cloth diapers most of the time with plastic pants, how ever some times I do use disposables with plastic pants.
    To anwser your question:
    Do not use tight fitting plastic pants. They will be uncomfrotable, will not provide proper protection, and will not last if you have too much stress on the waist and legs.
    You want them large enough for your diaper to fit comfortably inside and not pull the leg or waist open when you move.
    I wear the comco size large over my cloth diapers, and I wear the comco size med/large over my disposable diaper. Yes the look large and puffy but that is the way they should be.

Back in the day they were “puffy” large for good reason. They should be large enough that the vinyl/plastic at the openings can be tucked back under the diaper forming a cuff to minimize leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by WBxx View Post
    Back in the day they were “puffy” large for good reason. They should be large enough that the vinyl/plastic at the openings can be tucked back under the diaper forming a cuff to minimize leaks.
    cuffingly, that; and that professional nannies were instructed to fit the elastications upon the edge of the nappy, so as not to mark the baby's skin.

Quote Originally Posted by DONeill73
    Second question. If and when pee leaks from the diaper, what good does the elastic do on the pp from the pee leaking further ? Doesnt seem like an ideal waterproof closure
    it's not ideal because there is no [functional] ideal. as with all engineering, it's all about compromise.
    the basic compromise is that the actual nappy/diaper should be sufficiently large, in bulk and area, to catch and hold any 'accidents'. the waterproofing is then there to prevent a seeping, wicking or soiling onto any other surface.

one of the easiest guages as to your getting things right, in this day and age, is that none of your normal clothing (even AB) will fit over a traditional nappy as no modern clothing is cut/sized for them (nope, not even babywear is cut for trads, anymore). sadly, this also includes adult waterproof pants [for wearing over nappies].
    additionally, with sizing, your thigh circumference will be the minimum measurement to go off. but, it'll still be much of a trial-and-error process of buying.

The end result is going to be me wearing a diaper, to bed, with pp, and then try to pee. I will be on my side, and i will leak out the side of the diaper. Pointing my thing inbetween my legs isnt an option, so pee just enters the diaper, and gravity takes over, and there you have it. I guess diaper pads for the bed might also come in handy.

Ok, we know that is a good diaper. To help with your situation I would pull on 2 pair of your under wear or a cloth training pant over your diaper and then put on the plastic pants. The plastic pants will help, how ever if there is nothing inside your plastic pants to soak up what leaks you can still end up with wet spots on your bed.

Plastic pants were developed for use over cloth diapers, they have limited functional use over disposables. Once urine gets between the disposable and plastic pants, if there's nothing there to absorb it, you'll almost certainly get a leak. Using tighter fitting elastic on the waist and legs won't stop that, so you might as well choose something with a comfortable fit.

As a long-time bed wetter and cloth diaper wearer, I find the overall fit of the plastic pants (aside from the elastic) to be important, especially when wearing at night. I like snug-fitting pants. Anything that holds the diaper closer to the body will help the urine absorb into the diaper, rather than running into a pool and causing a leak, especially for guys who sleep on their side. Snug-fitting plastic pants help with that. During the day, when you are vertical, it's not as important.

To further keep everything snug to minimize leaks, wearing something tight-fitting over the plastic pants helps, too. Anything will work. AB's like "onesies" for this purpose. I'm not an AB, so I prefer an adult-looking garment designed to keep incontinence diapers in place. I usually wear the Suprima 4697 to bed over my diapers, and highly recommend it.
    Pflegeoverall I Pflegeoveralls I Patientenwäsche erhalten Sie hier in unserem Onlineshop