Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to avoid cracks in the pavement slabs when walking while out

Default trying to avoid cracks in the pavement slabs when walking while out

i was walking back from going out somewhere yesterday and i was walking back. i started trying to avoid the cracks in the pavement slabs. it got me wondering. is there anyone else who sometimes or alwas dos this when they go out.

tennismad

Its a form of OCD. Jack Nicholson did it for his charachter in, "As Good as it gets" He would avoid cracks or seperations of any kind. Then he enters the apt lobby of Helen Hunt, and the lobby floor is all black and white which are one square inch little tiles. You can just hear the "awww shit" going on in his head.

Glad I am not the only one, I do it on my way to work, I can take 2 steps between each crack. I would not say it is an OCD thing as much as you do not wish to break your mothers back

I always do it for whatever reason. I also try to only walk on certain tiles, if there is more than one type on the floor. I don't know of it OCD or perhaps just a fun little game. Either way, I never outgrew it.

I usually avoid cracks in sidewalks as well. I wouldn't really consider it an OCD thing more along the lines of a childhood habit that we never outgrew.

Not only the premeasured cracks in the sidewalk, that are uniform, and straight and such, but also the irregular cracks, the ones that happened because there was water, and it froze and cracked the concrete work, natural cracks and the man made ones. You all may not think of it as OCD, but I used to count my steps in each each "block" and I talked with a therapist about it (among many many other things, and yes, it is a very very light form of it, but its still is what it is.

Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

Even tho' my mother's been gone almost 5 years now, I still refrain from stepping on the cracks.

I think what was a game of sorts as a child, becomes ingrained in the back of our miind, and we just naturally evade the cracks. I'm glad the sidewalks here aren't as cracked as the ones in "As Good As It Gets", or I'd be dancing down the sidewalk like Jack Nicholson. LOL

Default trying to avoid cracks in the pavement slabs when walking while out

Did it as a child quite often, but very rarely now. I find it a fairly boring game even at the best of times

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    Glad I am not the only one, I do it on my way to work, I can take 2 steps between each crack. I would not say it is an OCD thing as much as you do not wish to break your mothers back
    I almost always do this when I'm alone. When I'm with other people my mind is typically on other things, but if I realize it I will always avoid the cracks... Simply because I can.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who counts how many steps between each crack!

Me walking when alone I'm like...

1 2 1 2 1 (1 1/2) (1 1/2) 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 3 4 (When I get a big piece of sidewalk) XD

I always try to keep it even though, gah, I'm even more crazy than I previously thought ><