Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8th Generation Gaming

Default 8th Generation Gaming

Were any of you hoping for games that run at 1080p and 60 frames per second on home consoles? Well some disappointing news if you were: Doom Creator Says Many Next-Gen Games Will Still Target 30 fps | My Nintendo News What are your thoughts?

I love a game with technology and graphics that smash the previous technology....

.....But....
    I don't need graphics for a game to be good.

Give me a quality 2D game with poopy graphics but great gameplay anyday. Or... yes, even a good text based MUD.... As long as the people are fun and roleplay, that can make the game more so than any graphics.

...Graphics Schmaficks!

Did you hear that Valve is cancelling Half Life 3 because Gordon Freeman's voice actor died?

Quote Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
    Did you hear that Valve is cancelling Half Life 3 because Gordon Freeman's voice actor died?
    No I didn't, and I thought Valve couldn't count to 3? :P

Default 8th Generation Gaming

Damn consoles, holding back PC games :P

Frankly, I was under the impression that most game have been running at 60 fps since the 6th generation. Guess I don't really notice those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Damn consoles, holding back PC games :P

Frankly, I was under the impression that most game have been running at 60 fps since the 6th generation. Guess I don't really notice those things.
    For good reasons.

Humans can't really notice that large of a difference the second you start passing 18 fps with an appropriate blur. After iirc it's something along the lines of 26~30 fps.

It really depends on the game, style of graphics, and what not. However, when it really comes down to it, most people can't notice a huge difference between 30 fps and 60 fps.

We discussed this in Computer Graphics, and Software Design. There are many other ways to trick humans that graphics are more fluid, including adding fog to the scene, making it hazy, adding darkness, etc.

So, I guess, for me I don't care. I don't notice any difference.

Edit: Additional, the screens and games are still going to refresh at 60Hz (or higher) which has a lot to do with flicker and appearance of non-fluid motion as well.

and heres me thinking newe games will be better than ever. boy was i wrong

I am already looking forward to buying key titles for my Nintendo 3DS like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7 and soon, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
    I'll skip the Playstation Vita for now.
    I'm expressing interest in buying the Deluxe edition of the new Nintendo WiiU but I can't afford it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiursaABDL1993 View Post
    I am already looking forward to buying key titles for my Nintendo 3DS like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7 and soon, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
    I'll skip the Playstation Vita for now.
    I'm expressing interest in buying the Deluxe edition of the new Nintendo WiiU but I can't afford it right now.
    i never really liked the wii i dont think im gonna like the new wiiu either. i have to honest tho i dont really know much about it to be honest.

For consoles, it's more or less what I've come to expect. I was under the impression that most games I play (on the 360) only ran at 720p, so 1080 would be a nice step up, but the framerate really doesn't matter unless it's something like a racing game. I actually migrated to the PC some time last year, and it's been a great decision so far. PC gaming is getting so much cheaper (even the games are cheaper now), and the hardware is moving much faster than consoles. As for the next generation, I'm interested in seeing what Valve does with 'bringing PCs to the living room'. They made a step forward with Big Picture, but apparently they're also working on some hardware as well: [link]