Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drink recommendations!

Default Drink recommendations!

So, in less than 2 weeks I will be turning 21. I got a fat $100 refund check from one of my classes which I have set aside especially for this event (I'm not sure it will last very long ). My problem is that I know basically nobody who drinks with any regularity enough to be able to recommend good beers or hard liquors. Dad's a recovered alcoholic, mom doesn't drink much because of that, and I'm pretty much the oldest in my group of friends, with the exception of one who had his 21st in Afghanistan about 2 months ago - where he's not allowed to drink.

So, any recommendations?

Also, I sampled a liquor of some sort a while back that I am trying to figure out the name of. It tasted almost like caramel. I guess that's kind of vague but it's all I have to go on. Any idea what it could be? :P

Craft beer, craft beer, and more craft beer. You ought to be able to get amazing stuff from any of the good California microbreweries.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitkitty View Post
    Craft beer, craft beer, and more craft beer. You ought to be able to get amazing stuff from any of the good California microbreweries.
    Turning 21 needn't and shouldn't be a bachanal. However, sampling some quality adult beverages is certainly appropriate. When Maxx Jr. turned 21 (almost a decade ago? .....man, does time fly!) Some of my friends and I took him to a local microbrewery (fortunately, within walking distance....there was no intoxicated driving for anyone!) for lunch and a sampling of their liquid wares. Oddly, he didn't get carded. Probably had something to do with his beard and the fact that he was half a foot taller than the rest of us.

If there's no microbrewery handy, a lot of grocery and liquor stores have a 'make your own 6-pack' option.

Pick one from every category: IPA, Stout, pale, hefeweizen, porter, brown...... I'm assuming you'll have help sampling. % alcohol on a lot of the microbrews is considerably higher than your normal Old Milwaukee. Some brands to look for: Left Hand, Sierra Nevada, 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Potosi, Big Sky, Dogfish Head...... there's lots more.

FWIW, you're much less likely to feel bad the next morning from quality microbrews, even if you've mixed up the brands and types.

P.S. Arrrrggghhh! I forgot the pilsner and lager categories. Oh well, if you're accustomed to mass produced domestic swill, you could bypass those and not miss a whole lot.

P.P.S. To the discerning beer palate, there IS a significant difference between a mass-produced pilsner or lager and the real deal. just sayin.

P.P.P.S. No offense, oleman. Bud is OK, but if you like beer for something other than the buzz, there's lots better options. I could wax eloquent, but it might give away too much personal information.
    Last edited by Maxx; 16-Dec-2012 at 01:43.

I am rather fond of some of the local lagers (living in the craft beer capital on newzealand has its perks). So I recommend checking out your local breweries.

If you can find it, get Ola Dubh 12. I could get it at a specialty trade store in Reno... But I don't know where to get it anywhere else. It is a dark beer, and if you aren't sure if you like beer or not, try that. To me it tasted like DAAAAAAARK chocolate with a bit of a whisky after taste that was... SNITDOSEUNHT I am literally drooling right now thinking about it.

"Clydesdale Pee" also known as Budweiser is what I've drank for the last 40+years. Don't care for ant of those micro beers. There wasn't any of those when I started
    back in the 1950's. Also not a hard liquor man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanara View Post
    If you can find it, get Ola Dubh 12. I could get it at a specialty trade store in Reno... But I don't know where to get it anywhere else. It is a dark beer, and if you aren't sure if you like beer or not, try that. To me it tasted like DAAAAAAARK chocolate with a bit of a whisky after taste that was... SNITDOSEUNHT I am literally drooling right now thinking about it.
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their annual Vintage Ale is more than worth a try. I pick up several bottles every year for spur-of-the-moment parties and gifts. Sampled one at Thanksgiving. Awesome. Be aware its 9% alcohol

Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale - Trader Joe's Brewing Company - Monrovia, CA - BeerAdvocate

I have never understood those cheap junk beers...

As stated by the genius philosopher: Monty Python.

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their annual Vintage Ale is more than worth a try. I pick up several bottles every year for spur-of-the-moment parties and gifts. Sampled one at Thanksgiving. Awesome. Be aware its 9% alcohol

Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale - Trader Joe's Brewing Company - Monrovia, CA - BeerAdvocate
    That is actually where I used to get Ola Dubh. I don't think they exist out here in the east, though... I live in Tennessee now. They call Carls Jr. "Hardee's" out here... ABOMINATIONS! XD

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    "Clydesdale Pee" also known as Budweiser is what I've drank for the last 40+years. Don't care for ant of those micro beers. There wasn't any of those when I started
    back in the 1950's. Also not a hard liquor man.
    You should really check out the movie "Beer Wars". Anyway craft beers aren't water like your Budweiser is. :P

H0TWH33LS

PBR is my personal favorite