Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC thought

Default IRC thought

Hypothetical Situation. Alright, so a friend of mine who knows about my alias "mm3" (It's used everywhere fyi, it's used in place of my first name for Pete's sake), and is an occasional IRC'er apparently.

He browses around Blitzed, and just happens to join #adisc on a whim and reading the 'abnormal' description on the channel. Looking down the members list, he sees something -- "mm3".

Wham, a question turns into something else, and hell breaks loose.

A thought that came to my mind. Anyone care to share more thoughts on the matter?

#adisc is +s (secret), meaning it won't show in /list or /whois of you. So, if he found the channel, then he found it through somewhere else (most likely here).

But yeah, I do not have this worry since chevre is not my "regular" IRC nick

DannyTheNinja

Are you talking about boom by any chance?

This is why I came up with an ADISC-specific username... I use DannyTheNinja only on ADISC and on Demonoid, the latter because it can only really be traced to a nickname that has a carefully protected identity. Even though I met you through ADISC, when you introduced me to boom I used my normal identity (which is "Dan" and not "Danny" for starters) and have been pretty damned careful to avoid sending him anything relating to my ADISC name.

So you might want to think about conjuring up a different identity for use on ADISC and related places.

--Danny

Which is why I used my name backwards in the channel for awhile. I have a nasty habit of leaving IRC open on my 2nd monitor when people come over. My friends have never really noticed it or said anything, but I don't want them to look over and see my nickname from ADISC and remembering it.

Of course, now I'm too lazy to be bothered with something like that. I'm hoping that if someone ever notices #ADISC on here, I can distract them with my keys or something.

Have you ever serched your handle? I've done mine and a few others in yahoo. It is amazingt see the resulting list of posts in many forums.

Use a nick your friends and family don't know!

Nam

I had talked about this a long time ago. Also, don't let people in RL know your blog names, etc. You never know when they might get "lucky"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    Have you ever serched your handle? I've done mine and a few others in yahoo. It is amazingt see the resulting list of posts in many forums.

Use a nick your friends and family don't know!

Nam
    Try googling mine . You'll find mostly results about cheese or other goat-related things.

Google mine. You'll find ADISC is the only results. I've used this name since like 1998 (or variations anyway) but most were either private non-indexed sites, or I used a dif variation.

Hey who knows, maybe by chance it will. But then, "maybe" is irrelivent.