Thread: Abena plastic vs air plus

Default Abena plastic vs air plus

I just got an email response from XP Medical and according to them, Abena has committed to making the M4 Plastic backed version "For the foreseeable future". However, it appears like we're going to have to say goodbye to plastic Abena's at some point.

IF YOU HAVE USED BOTH THE ABENA X-PLUS PLASTIC AND BREATHABLE VERSIONS... what did you think of the breathable air plus? I'm thinking about buying some just to try them out. My fear is, like any cloth backed diaper I've used, they seem to "breath" moisture. Not leaks - more like vapor or humidity.

Please don't rant about loss of plastic.

I tried a sample pack last summer. I liked the m2's okay for daytime wear although a litte pricey. To me the m4's were to thick after wetting once or twice and having to walk around
    in them doing my daily routines. I didn't try the m4's for overnight. I was looking for a diaper for daytime use in Texas heat outdoors.

I like the air plus's more so because they just feel more comfy on me.

I bought the air knowing they will be more discrete than noisy plastic, which they are. Although I'm currently favoring the plastic version as its less likely to "sweat" and I personally prefer plastic. It is also nice to be able to refasten the tapes more easily if needed, but after a few times the fibers will keep them from sticking too well. Though they are bulky I will be using them if going out in public this winter.

The fake-cloth-backed Abri-Form and Air-Plus ranges stretch and sag so much (and the tapes don't always stay firmly stuck) so you need to wear pants over them. Because of the way they sag, they tend to leak round the leg cuffs long before the plastic-backed ones would. And they don't control odour at all well. But... they are comfortable and discreet (you hardly know you're wearing one).

The difference between the fake-cloth-backed Abri-Form and Air-Plus ranges is that the latter are supposed to have a "breathable" backsheet. This doesn't seem to make any perceptible difference in comfort levels but it means that the outer cover of the diaper gets damp to the touch and that dampness can be absorbed by clothing or a seat...

So... I can't see why Abena would have two nearly identical fake-cloth ranges. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. And I can't see why they would stop production of the smooth-plastic-backed range when it offers clear advantages over the fake-cloth-backed versions. If I was incontinent, I'd probably stick to the M3 cloth ones in public (but not the breathable Air Plus range), and M3 or M4 plastic-backed ones at home (or for long journeys where changing might be difficult and I'd want to minimise the risk of leaks).

I didn't realize the Abri-Form and Air-Plus are both soft backing. I've never bought anything but the plastic backed M4. You guys are confirming my fears about the fake cloth... don't think I'm going to like it. I suppose I can switch to Bambino when Abena makes the move.

like I said in previous posts (last year) once they ditch the plastic backed diapers, they will completely lose my business
    (tried the cloth backed M4s, was very much unimpressed with their performance)

I'm not very happy with them since they ditched their bodystocking lines, now, apparantly, completely.
    I am now down to 5 sets of nearly worn out ones, and a few other brands i'm not all that happy about

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug2055 View Post
    I just got an email response from XP Medical and according to them, Abena has committed to making the M4 Plastic backed version "For the foreseeable future". However, it appears like we're going to have to say goodbye to plastic Abena's at some point.

IF YOU HAVE USED BOTH THE ABENA X-PLUS PLASTIC AND BREATHABLE VERSIONS... what did you think of the breathable air plus? I'm thinking about buying some just to try them out. My fear is, like any cloth backed diaper I've used, they seem to "breath" moisture. Not leaks - more like vapor or humidity.

Please don't rant about loss of plastic.
    Quality wise they're nearly identical with each other, however in my opinion the air pluses were a lot more comfortable for me and held a little bit more. I also enjoyed the fact you needed plastic pants over them, however I also love cloth diapers as well, so probably why. If I had to go 24/7 in one of them then it'd be the air-plus due to comfort and how much they absorb/feel.

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug2055 View Post
    I didn't realize the Abri-Form and Air-Plus are both soft backing.
    Neither did I when I bought them... Thought I'd hit the jackpot and got the last plastic-backed M3 & M4s in the land. They came in the old green Abri-Form packaging with the same old product code and the same printing on the diaper... but... the M3s were all furry!

Has anyone else tried both the new furry-cloth-backed Abri-Forms and the Air-Pluses? Can anyone tell me why Abena need two ranges of nearly identical fake-cloth diapers but not one plastic-backed one? I don't get it...

I live in (unrealistic) hope that they'll keep making the plastic-backed M4s and will re-introduce the M3s... (dream on...)

My sample Airs leaked on first wetting. Was pretty sad, cause they sure were cool! Could be a technique isse tho.