Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touching Strangers

Default Touching Strangers

No, this isn't about rubbing up against people on the subway. I came across the link to this story on another blog I read and I thought it was not only compelling photography, but also an interesting interview. Go read the interview and look at the guy's website if you're so inclined. The interview has some of the best photos, but I think they're all pretty neat.

The interview:

A Conversation with Richard Renaldi about 'Touching Strangers' (Conscientious)

Link to the photographer's site aimed at all of the photos he's put up from this project:

Renaldi - Photographs

Now that you've at least skimmed the interview (if you didn't, go back and do so or give up on the thread altogether), would you pose for such a photo? He's going to pick who you pose with, and how. We're presuming the guy doing the picture taking looks like he's legit and has a copy of his book handy, etc. I'd find this a hard sell, personally. Having seen his site, I get it now and if I had turned him down, I'd wish I hadn't, even though I generally don't like having my picture taken.

Thats really interesting, and I'd love to see more. It's funny because in some pictures you'd never know the difference between them and people who have known eachother for years, and other photos you can just see the tension.

I think I could do that if I was asked, although I wouldn't know for sure until I was faced with that

I'd have turned him down, I'm just not comfortable with physical contact.

I think I would have accepted, although I probably would have been a little hesitant. I'm sure he could have sold it to me though if he explained a little about what he was doing.

I'm not really a touchy-feely person, even with people I know, so with strangers I'd be uncomfortable. But if it's for the sake of art, and I knew the other person would be uncomfortable too (and knows that I am), then I wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm cool with physical contact. Nothing beats a hug... even off a complete stranger, in this case!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Thats really interesting, and I'd love to see more. It's funny because in some pictures you'd never know the difference between them and people who have known eachother for years, and other photos you can just see the tension.
    Some of my photos with people I've known for years have the same kind of tension in them

I thought this was a great project, both as social science experiment and art that results, but even his photos of people in bus stations (linked in the interview) were compelling to me.

Without knowing what I know now, I probably would have stayed and looked and I might have changed my mind then but seeing this I'd do it.

I don't really like any of those photos. They don't seem to have any kind of artistic quality to them, and really, all I see is people posing and touching eachother.

I probably wouldn't pose. I'm not a stickler for touching people or anything, and I wouldn't be uncomfortable with hugging a complete stranger. But there's this girl who sits beside me in English class who's constantly touching me and invading my desk. Her books always seem to make there way over to my desk. She's really dull, and I don't think she realizes what she's doing. This same girl makes very loud sighs and yawns throughout the class too without realizing it.

Not for me, I'm afraid. I am comfortable with a hug (from someone I am close with), or not touching at all. That middle ground just makes me so physically uncomfortable. I just can't deal with it. A very interesting idea, and it isn't touching a stranger that means I wouldn't do it - it is just the touching in general. I wouldn't want to take a photo like that with someone I know.

Also, I dislike photos in general, and not that long ago I would refuse to be in them at all. So not something I would do. A fantastic idea though.