Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HoHoHo.....Horrible

Default HoHoHo.....Horrible

In some past Christmas related threads, several members stated that they disliked Christmas music. Often we ask, what's your favorite music, but it occurred to me, everyone must have at least one Christmas song they absolutely hate. Being a musician I have several, but I'll start with this one.

"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives

I never liked Burl Ives, and the thought of "giving my girl a kiss for him" leaves me repulsed.

I have others, but not wanting to ruin the season of repulsive music, what's yours?

Cherub

I dislike "Santa baby". I've heard it sung by several artists, and no matter who sings it I still hate it. To me, Christmas music should sound majestic or jolly (upbeat), not some slow self-centered sleezy slinky cheap bar room come-on type song. Sorry, I just really hate that song, LOL.

Iīd say all of them are equally torturing.
    „Jingle Bells“ however seems to be slightly more painful than most others. Canīt say why though.
    It just fills my heart and soul with unspeakable anger for no particular reason.
    Good thing Iīm not forced to hear it that often.
    But if I really had to choose, Iīd go for a song called „Kling Glöckchen (klingelingeling)“. Seriously, whenever this... „music“ reaches my ears, I just want to flush my head down the toilet.
    Itīs the traumatising sound of my worst nightmares.
    As a child, they made me sing every single line of it.
    „Sing the song“, they said.
    „Thatīs festive“, they said.
    And then, they promised me cookies. Cookies I never got! Cookies made of lies!
    Horrible times.
    Horrible song.

Supersam1223

Default HoHoHo.....Horrible

Any and all. I take to carrying my iPod around with me everywhere around Christmas, especially in the car. Radio at Christmas is horrible...

A bit of Suicide Silence, Gojira, or All Shall Perish usually do a good job of blocking it out.

Cygnus

What bothers me about Christmas music is the constant covers of only a select few songs. The repetitiveness of the lyrics and tune upsets me.

What upsets me more, however, are the gods damned jingle bells. They are absent in a very small minority of Christmas songs and their same repetitive tone makes me want to slam my head in a door. All you really can do musically with jingle bells is ring them to the music's tempo over and over again. It's very upsetting to me.

During Christmas, I'll just stick to my Trip Hop and call it good. No need for the over-praised garbage that everyone is expected to listen to at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I never liked Burl Ives, and the thought of "giving my girl a kiss for him" leaves me repulsed.
    Aw, c'mon. Whenever I hear his voice I immediately think of the snowman from the Rankin/Bass "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" special, and that makes me happy because Rankin/Bass was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    I dislike "Santa baby". I've heard it sung by several artists, and no matter who sings it I still hate it. To me, Christmas music should sound majestic or jolly (upbeat), not some slow self-centered sleezy slinky cheap bar room come-on type song. Sorry, I just really hate that song, LOL.
    This. Definitely my least favorite! Whenever I hear it, it just brings to mind everything that's wrong about Christmas. It was surely meant to be a lighthearted thing, but with how commercial Christmas has gotten, it seems more prophetic than anything else.

FairyCakes

I actually love Chrimbo songs. xD

I don't know if it counts, but I like "Christmas Shoes" from that one movie.

Hmm. One song I don't like is "White Christmas" ... I like the faster songs.

Silent Night puts me to sleep. It's like a lullaby. I like I guess the classics... things like "I'll be home for Christmas" or something.

Back to the original thread I hate Away in a Manger, there are others but that is the worst.