Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Backed Diapers: Will They Still Be There?

Default Plastic Backed Diapers: Will They Still Be There?

Firstly, sorry for being so inactive for the past year or so. i tend to do that at times. Anyway, I am planning to go 24/7 (Yes, after 6 years and it will have been 8 when I go 24/7 of research and doing my homework on the issue this is what I want) as soon I'm a good ways along in my transition and I move in with and marry my future wife. Seeing that XPmedical no longer stocks the plastic backed delta forms is indeed worrying and knowing that Xpmedical and Abena will discontinue the plastic backed S-M4 (X plus) line by the end of the year has me quite concerned about the future of plastic backed diapers. Sorry to those of you that like or don't mind cloth backed diapers but I simply will not touch them with an 100 ft pole no matter how good they are. So my question is this.

What it is the future of plastic backed diapers?

Will they still be there by summer or spring 2014?

If so, of the plastic backed products that survive, which of them do you think will still be plastic and stay that way if only for a few more years if not indefinitely?

Will there still even be a market or them?

Will companies like Abena give the consumer no choice between plastic or cloth like forever or will it be a temporary move and they eventually come out with a separate new plastic backed line in the future?

Why do you think companies push cloth backed products as a replacement for rather than an option alongside plastic backed?

Will companies that market purely to AB/DLs such as Bambino and ABU follow the trend or will they still sell plastic products be it only them or alongside cloth backed products?

Will people catch wind on a massive scale of the fatal flaws with cloth backed products and demand the plastic backed products back? Will they release improvements that alleviate the problems of cloth backed products now? Will they make improvements in plastic backed products that cloth backed alleviate and make them superior? Will there be improvements in both products? Given your answer, why do you think so?

so tell me, what are your thoughts on all this?

Sadly, I don't think so. Plastic-backed diapers are a dying bunch. I grew up wearing cloth-backed diapers but I personally feel that it just makes the diaper unnecessarily baggy and cheap, not to mention the hit on absorbency.

I have no idea why so many manufacturers are switching to cloth, though. Is it the cost of production? Other than cloth-backed diapers being 'breathable' I don't see any other benefits that they have. Hopefully, as you said, people may discover the flaws and demand the plastic-backed diapers back.

In my personal experience, buying diapers has now become sort of a Russian roulette: buy a random pack of diapers and BAM! Cloth-backed. Extremely frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Crobat View Post
    I have no idea why so many manufacturers are switching to cloth, though. Is it the cost of production? Other than cloth-backed diapers being 'breathable' I don't see any other benefits that they have. Hopefully, as you said, people may discover the flaws and demand the plastic-backed diapers back.
    I think it's because a lot of people who become incontinent later in life want to continue to feel "normal", so to speak. Plastic diapers are more different from regular underwear. It could feel alienating and/or be an unpleasant reminder of the wearer's newfound status. For depends (which is as newcomer as they come), you can obviously tell by their website/packaging/etc. that they put considerable effort into making the newly incontinent feel like they haven't lost anything. Sites rarely tout "diapers", they instead sell "incontinence briefs" or some other synonym.

Personally though, I do not think plastic backed diapers are in danger of disappearing any time soon (baring some natural resource crisis or something crazy). The fact of the matter is that in the short-term there will continue to be a constituency of incontinent users who prefer plastic and have used plastic for some time...so as long as there's demand it is extremely likely there will be supply. Even if, in the long term, plastic backed diapers fall out of style and cloth diapers are overwhelmingly preferred, I would think that there would be a niche market for AB/DLs like us. The diapers might be more expensive because of lesser market dynamics, but I would be surprised if they'd be completely unavailable OP.

I'm in the same boat, I'm all about disposables :P

As long as there is a market they will continue to make them. As evidenced by abena not stoping plstic backed production of their proucts amist an outcry.

And as far as abamino's of course they will always make plastic backed ones. That is what their target audience prefers.

Unfortunately I see it as a possible future outcome (not counting companies who make diapers for ABDLs and babyfurs, or both), more and more companies are switching over to cloth-like backing (note cloth-like, as it's actually not real cloth from what I hear) I personally like the cloth-like backing for the fashenable tapes, with plastic backed, you only get two tries on most diapers, and that's it. If you didn't know, cloth-backed diapers actually have a thin layer of plastic under the cloth-like backing, or at least I noticed it on the only cloth backed diaper I've tried, the Tena Slip Super.

I hope to goodness That isn't the case, I hope some top brands like Molicare continue to offer both plastic and cloth backed options alongside each other. I hope Dry 24/7, Wellness, and Tranquility stay plastic. I hope Attends and various other hospital brands continue to offer both as options. I hope places that still sell the plastic version of the now switched Eurobriefs continue to sell them. Even if AB/DL brands and hospital diapers/depends are the only diapers I can count on to stay plastic I would still be happy because I least I'm getting something plastic. If the day ever looms over us when plastic backed diapers ever become extinct, I will probably hit up ebay and other places that still sell them and potentially spend thousands of dollars (Provided I can afford that) to stock up for a good 5-10 years worth and also build up a decent stash of real cloth diapers and plastic panties. I hate to give up the convenience of disposables with me being a messy baby but I'd much rather wear traditional cloth than cloth backed disposables. I know I won;t have to worry about secure going cloth as I read a post on DD that someone emailed them about and they responded that they would stay plastic, even though Secure and Bambino are practically the same diaper.

However, I hold out hope that some companies will see it is potentially better for them business wise in the long run to just offer both as an option. I have to find a way to alert people to the various disadvantages of cloth like covers on a massive scale, but how? I like to be an optimist, maybe in 2020-2030 diaper companies will come out with some new space age plastic that's just as good as anything we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Lily View Post
    ...knowing that Xpmedical and Abena will discontinue the plastic backed S-M4 (X plus) line by the end of the year...
    Whaaaat?! I thought the plastic-backed M4 had earned a reprieve... It seems strange that they bothered to save them when the rest of the range converted to woven plastic... only to ditch them within a year or so... Boooooo!

Apparently from what I heard it was only a temporary reprieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Lily View Post
    Apparently from what I heard it was only a temporary reprieve.
    Sob. Wail. Moan. Bawl. *sniff*

If this is true, you are dead to me, Abena.

It will be very depressing if the plastic back ones are gone. The plastic is part of what I love about diapers.