Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fashion Advice Needed

Default Fashion Advice Needed

I am in a bit of a conundrum and need some advice, I recently bought a new dress shirt for an upcoming event and it came with a tie, the problem being is that I dislike the tie it came with and am now having trouble finding a tie color that goes with the shirt.

Here is the shirt and the tie it came with.

I will be wearing it with black dress pants and possibly a black suit jacket, so I want to avoid a black tie, although that may be my only option.

On a complete side note, I am curious to know your opinions on clip on ties? As much as I try to tie a tie, my knot always seems large and odd looking no matter what knot I use (Full, Half, Pratt, Double.) I have a couple in the past that I have gotten looking good and have gotten compliments on, but it seems I cannot recreate the experience.

I keep hearing clip ons are noticeable and are a faux pas, but don't believe this to be entirely true, I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

I make no claims to be a fashion expert but have you considered dark blue for a colour?

http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda...ei=400&wid=400

Small picture, but this may be the sort of tie you're looking at, goes well with the shirt, Imo.

Hope it all goes well!

May I suggest solid white? And just a hint, if you buy a tie that you tie yourself, try it in the store before you buy. Some ties look great, but just don't tie very well. Or maybe get a sales person to help show you how to tie it. Personally, I don't like clip-ons because I can't get them to stay straight, but if they work for you, I don't see any problem.

Clip-on ties are absolutely terrible and should never be worn by anyone of any amount of class or brain power in any circumstance ever.

That's an odd hue of blue, so avoid any other blue. You'll not find another blue, dark, light, or indifferent, that will match. (I am exaggerating, but unless it's a light shimmery blue or the absolutely one hue of dark blue, you'll look mismatched). I would recommend a gray or silver. Black will work, as will white, but both will stand out a bit more than I think you want. That's already a bright shirt, so you don't need a super obvious tie with it. Go for a gray tie, maybe even something with a pattern. It'll match pretty well and it will complement, not stand out from, the shirt.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, I will probably go just black, or someone else recommended brown. Gonna keep working on my knots in hopes that I can get a decent looking one. Practice makes perfect I guess : P

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    I am in a bit of a conundrum and need some advice, I recently bought a new dress shirt for an upcoming event and it came with a tie, the problem being is that I dislike the tie it came with and am now having trouble finding a tie color that goes with the shirt.

Here is the shirt and the tie it came with.

I will be wearing it with black dress pants and possibly a black suit jacket, so I want to avoid a black tie, although that may be my only option.
    While I rather hate the pattern on the tie, the color palate would pull the shirt together with a black suit nicely.

Also, are the pants and jacket part of a suit, or are they separates that you're combining? If the latter, don't do it. Never combine separate pieces of the same color. It'll look like you're trying to make a suit from pieces that are not a suit.

I would pair the jacket with grey slacks and black shoes.

On a complete side note, I am curious to know your opinions on clip on ties? As much as I try to tie a tie, my knot always seems large and odd looking no matter what knot I use (Full, Half, Pratt, Double.) I have a couple in the past that I have gotten looking good and have gotten compliments on, but it seems I cannot recreate the experience.
    How often do you tie a necktie? I can tie a good half-windsor, but that's only because I had to wear a military uniform two days a week in high school. If you only wear ties occasionally, your knots will be loose. That's just a fact of life. In any case though, I think the half-windsor is your best bet. A full-windsor will be too big, and is really only useful if you're a big guy (>6'). And half-windsors will also tighten up in the few hours after you tie them as they settle.

I keep hearing clip ons are noticeable and are a faux pas, but don't believe this to be entirely true, I just want to be on the safe side.
    Not everyone can notice a clip on. However, the salient point is that they people who will spot a clip on are going to be the people you're putting the suit on to make an impression for.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    While I rather hate the pattern on the tie, the color palate would pull the shirt together with a black suit nicely.
    If only I could find another tie with those colors, in a not so awful pattern.

Also, are the pants and jacket part of a suit, or are they separates that you're combining? If the latter, don't do it. Never combine separate pieces of the same color. It'll look like you're trying to make a suit from pieces that are not a suit.

I would pair the jacket with grey slacks and black shoes.
    They are separate, unfortunately the pants that did come with the suit jacket no longer fit me and could not be tailored to do so, or was so told by men's wearhouse. But these pants are pretty identical to the ones that came with the suit in the first place. Not sure if that matters though, I'm hardly an expert on the matter :-p

How often do you tie a necktie? I can tie a good half-windsor, but that's only because I had to wear a military uniform two days a week in high school. If you only wear ties occasionally, your knots will be loose. That's just a fact of life. In any case though, I think the half-windsor is your best bet. A full-windsor will be too big, and is really only useful if you're a big guy (>6'). And half-windsors will also tighten up in the few hours after you tie them as they settle.
    Not often at all, in fact the last time I wore a tie was almost 6 months ago, even then it was pre tied from a previous longer time ago occasion. Thanks for the advice though. I will get to practicing the half, until I can tie it in my sleep!

Not everyone can notice a clip on. However, the salient point is that they people who will spot a clip on are going to be the people you're putting the suit on to make an impression for.[/QUOTE]

If only I could find another tie with those colors, in a not so awful pattern.
    You may not have enough lead time for this, but ebay/amazon can sometimes work for ties.

They are separate, unfortunately the pants that did come with the suit jacket no longer fit me and could not be tailored to do so, or was so told by men's wearhouse. But these pants are pretty identical to the ones that came with the suit in the first place. Not sure if that matters though, I'm hardly an expert on the matter :-p
    You might be able to get away with it if the event is at night and will be dark. Still, I wouldn't risk it. And it it's going to be outside during the day, don't even think about it, unless you really can't tell the difference between the fabrics in the sunlight (which unfortunately is unlikely).

Have to agree with you, the tie is awful. While I'm not a lover of ties, I have had to wear a few, and I've always had trouble finding nice ones. The truth is, you've got to pick something that suits your personality as I really believe ties reflect this....I'd steer away from little pics of diapers..lol.. but hey what about little puppies, that could work. Actually, you've just got to hoof it around the mall until you find something that's right. failing that, I guess it's a black tie which kinda says.... good luck!