Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvard BDSM

Default Harvard BDSM

Saw this on another site and thought it was real interesting! Wish my college had something like this. The students at Harvard created a BDSM group, check it out...

Harvard approves student group devoted to kinky sex on campus - CNN.com

Thoughts?

To be honest, I'm not terribly surprised by this. I've been these sorts of groups at institutes of higher education for years now.

Thoughts... umm... Well, it's not my cup of tea but it seems perfectly fine and legal to me. Strange that the mainstream news should want to report it... Is kinky sex presumed to be something that only happens to non-university-educated people?

On the positive side, it's good to see an organization, such as our own, that is directly involved in helping people with similar interests in their community.

On the negative side, it's something in the community to throw up a flag saying "Hey I'm into kinky stuff check it out!". that could bite someone in the ass down the road if they decide they got a little too wild in their college days. I could just see it now... harvard graduate teacher or college professor gets ousted for being into all kinds of kinks by being seen on the registry. Seems like it'd be a nightmare for teaching kids with that rumor spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Thoughts... umm... Well, it's not my cup of tea but it seems perfectly fine and legal to me. Strange that the mainstream news should want to report it... Is kinky sex presumed to be something that only happens to non-university-educated people?
    They reported it because Harvard is often thought of as the most prestigious school in the country (some people would argue the Air Force Academy/West Point are more so, but that's not quite the same thing), and kinky sex is...well, kinky sex. So, really, it shows that the two can, in fact, be together, and that even the best and brightest like to get down and dirty (or tied and gagged).

As has come out in a lot of the media about this, there are actually a number of other universities, including prestigious ones, which already have similar student organizations.

My guess is that this one is only news because Harvard has so much name-recognition and Fifty Shades of Grey has made BDSM recently "newsworthy". Honestly, this doesn't seem like something that should be getting nearly as much press as it's getting.

Well, at the university in my city, there is a group that gets together and smokes joints every Tuesday as a 'protest' for marajuana law reform. I find it somewhat ironic that the group's name is Norml (sic). Needless to say, this group is not officially sanctioned, but I'm somewhat surprised that the university tolerates it. Then again, they are going smokefree on campus in 2013, so they won't last much longer... At uni, pretty much anything goes.

And here I thought finding the website on Yale's sluttiest people looking for a hot night was something interesting..