Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Confession: Bothered by music addiction.

Question Confession: Bothered by music addiction.

I'd love to hear what other people think about this.

I freely admit to being a bit bothered when I see people trudging by on the street with headphones clamped over their ears. As far as I'm concerned, these people may as well be wearing shirts or carrying signs that read, "I'm not here. You're not here. This world isn't here. Don't talk to me."

Seriously.

Is the real world so bad that we all have to roll around in our own little musical bubbles, perpetually stoned on our favorite musical genres, deaf to our surroundings? When did the sound of... reality... become such an unbearable thing?

This summer, while I was on mountain hike, no fewer than three quarters of the people I encountered were plugged into iPods. On a sunny day in the middle of a national park! I weep for people who are so music-addicted. Like... it truly saddens me. It's as if, for some people, composing thoughts without music is like building a house without a foundation. Or nails, or screws, or any kind of fasteners to hold it together.

Oh! Evil personal listening devices! What have you done to my poor, irreversibly zombified neighbors?!

Well, ok. That was a self-answering question.

I have always thought music to be a deeply enriching part of my life. Granted I do not walk around in public with my headphones in my ear, and I try hard to make sure that most things I do are suited to my current surroundings. That being said, I use my headphones to intentionally discourage conversation if I am feeling antisocial. If I were enjoying nature however, I would simply want to take in nature.

Music is for me the most meaningful art form, and the one that has the most impact on my life. So I view it not as an addiction, but as a good without which my life would be lacking.

I like to think I know when to plug in and unplug from my "music bubble" (love that term by the way). If I'm walking around between classes or just by myself I don't think it's a problem to have my headphones in. If I'm somewhere where the sounds of the world are better then music, like if I'm on a walk in the woods, then I'd rather be unplugged and enjoying the sounds of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I freely admit to being a bit bothered when I see people trudging by on the street with headphones clamped over their ears. As far as I'm concerned, these people may as well be wearing shirts or carrying signs that read, "I'm not here. You're not here. This world isn't here. Don't talk to me."

Seriously.

Is the real world so bad that we all have to roll around in our own little musical bubbles, perpetually stoned on our favorite musical genres, deaf to our surroundings? When did the sound of... reality... become such an unbearable thing?
    Hmm, part of me wants to say what I really think, but my better sense says I shouldn't since it's insanely hypocritical for me to say what I think in this case since I'm perfect example of doing the opposite...

Let me put it this way. It bothers me when I see people riding bikes, or driving while wearing (head|ear)phones, but I don't have a lot of room to talk since you will never see me in public without mine. In my case it's for a legitimate medical reason though.

Personally I don't see why it bothers you so much. I walk around with my music in my ears usually as loud as it can go because I hate dealing with people I don't know. I've never been much of a social creature. That being said if I'm out for a stroll through the woods then I won't be plugged in so I can enjoy the sounds of nature around me.

I just don't bother about other people acts, by the way, I don't care what else they are doing.

To be honest, I do the same thing with my NDS, I just turn it on and play with it on the bus while Im going to work or college, one reason is because Im very shy to talk anyone I don't even see in my life (unknown people) and two because I don't want get into other people lifes like a inspector, talking random stuff and then.

One way to be sociable is knowing what like the other person, so then I may ignore whatever I am doing and try to make a small talk (If my nervousness don't win), but anyway, I don't like socialice with random people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendorox! View Post
    Personally I don't see why it bothers you so much. I walk around with my music in my ears usually as loud as it can go because I hate dealing with people I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by PacifiedByKnowledge View Post
    I have always thought music to be a deeply enriching part of my life.
    (snip)
    I use my headphones to intentionally discourage conversation if I am feeling antisocial.
    Aha! Intentional abuse of headphones as a don't-talk-to-me gesture! I knew it!

My worry here is that it's just too easy to do this anymore. Particularly for the younger people, I wonder where human interaction will be learned. Armed with a Game Boy, iPod, and smart phone, you can live in a virtual reality. Lots of people start out life a bit antisocial. Nurturing that trait is not a good idea, though.

By the way, I mean no disrespect for music here. I love it. I play multiple instruments and paid for part of my college education by being a wedding musician. When it comes to a choice between road noise and music, I'll take music any time. What bothers me is the seeming overuse of music as a defense. We're all hard-shelled enough as it is. When I go out in public anymore, I feel like I'm Neo waking up in Matrix's human battery center, surrounded by people who are all mentally somewhere else. Ugh.

I find music to be a very important aspect in life. Music is the universal language. Without it, Movies would be extremely bland and the emotion the director is trying to achieve during scenes wouldn't be accomplished. I listen to music every single day covering different genres on different moods. Music unites people during concerts or meeting your favorite singer, or entering competitions to win a little extra cash. I couldn't imagine a world without it.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePuppy View Post
    I find music to be a very important aspect in life. Music is the universal language. Without it, Movies would be extremely bland and the emotion the director is trying to achieve during scenes wouldn't be accomplished. I listen to music every single day covering different genres on different moods. Music unites people during concerts or meeting your favorite singer, or entering competitions to win a little extra cash. I couldn't imagine a world without it.
    Again, I'm not arguing against music. Rather, I'm suggesting that music can become an addiction with negative social repercussions. I'm sure there are many people with iPod habits that truly love what they are listening to. I'm also sure there are many people with iPod habits who literally can't do anything if not to a beat. Either that, or they're being antisocial. Not a good thing, regardless! (IMO)

Cygnus

My headphones are standing by to be put in my ears at any given part of the day. I never go anywhere without them. I use them to block out unpleasant things and to keep myself focused; I take them out when I socialize with people or am in a place where the natural sound is pleasing.

I always have one earbud in when I'm walking around my school. This solution enables me to have some situational awareness while still having the ability to ignore the world around me and immerse myself in music. To me, I'd much rather listen to some well-produced trip hop then a group of my peers yelling the word "faggot" at the top of their lungs to each other. I don't need their words to be infecting my mind when I could have somebody's soul and passion poured into my ears.

I listen to music when I need to preform a monotonous task or something that requires a lot of thought. I tend to think too much, my mind is like an expressionist painting on LSD. To counteract the cascade of thoughts that distract me at every turn when I need to do something productive, I fill the parts of my conscious I don't need with music; it helps keep my mind on track and focused.

When I'm away from unpleasant things and I don't need to be focused, I listen to music depending on my situation. I love the sound of trains and I don't listen to music when I'm riding one. The stillness of nature is wonderful, when I'm out for a hike or riding my mountain bike, I enjoy the sounds of my surroundings. Urban noises are fun to listen to, I don't listen to music when I'm out for a stroll. When I'm at home, I indulge myself in the art that is music and I listen to it constantly.

Music is a very important art form to society as a whole. Our love of music has become genetically and pshycologically woven into our species over years of enjoyment of music, be it simple drum beats or a complicated orchestra. Even this morning, my friends and I had a really fun and relaxing drum circle in the hall of my school using our hands and various school supplies; this act was one that connected us and pleased our minds. Music is amazing, music is bliss. While I agree that some situations require use of your ears outside of music, I still don't think that people are in the wrong by consuming another's ideas and passion through the art that is music.