Thread: Best thriller of 2012

Default Best thriller of 2012

I just watched Argo and I have to say this is the best thriller I have watched to date. Has anyone else seen this? If so what did you think of it.

I loved Argo, and being a student going into the Film industry, I related to a lot of the humor inside the movie. Also being a Canadian made the movie an even better experience, being able to understand the references like how a Canadian pronounces Toronto. Apart from the humor and Canadian references, Argo portrays a different angle on a real world event, as a television/movie, "Escape from Iran: The Canadian Caper" had a different angle as well. As great as the movie was, the movie does portray the Canadian involvement to be less than in reality and also had many inaccuracies. For example, the runway scene at the end of the movie never happened in real life, but as a filmmaker, I see this being used as a dramatic device.

All in all, a great dramatic movie with some historical inaccuracies, some great humor and references. I do believe that this movie might have a shot at the Academy Awards, and Ben Affleck definitely made a huge return to the hollywood scene.

After watching Argo, I really want to learn more about that event. I kinda of figured some of the movie had add in events but I really didn't want to read anything about what really happened as it would have spoiled the movie for me.

On a side note I learned, thanks to my English 132 class that during this time period Muslim Americans were really badly mistreated and targeted. One of the stories I am reading ( I don't know if its based on her life or fiction) accounts how she was missed treated everyday during the time the Americans were being keep hostage.

Not knowing the true story made the movie even better. It was excellent.

Also Dante, how the Muslim Americans were treated during this time is a bit like how Asian Americans were treated during WWII, WWII was much worse though. Fear gets the better of people.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    Not knowing the true story made the movie even better. It was excellent.

Also Dante, how the Muslim Americans were treated during this time is a bit like how Asian Americans were treated during WWII, WWII was much worse though. Fear gets the better of people.
    I agree with you there, I think fear will be the down fall of any country. Just looking at V for Vendetta makes me think that something like that could happen even if that was a fictitious movie.