Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm going to have to take a 2-3 day break from my pacifier

Default I think I'm going to have to take a 2-3 day break from my pacifier

My jaw has been hurting me, I'm going to see if my pacifier is causing it. It's hurting right in front of my ear, where my jaw connects to my skull. It's not my teeth or anything, just my jaw

It could be the pacifier but usually when your mouth gets sore from a binky it usually the teeth. But if you are using one that is too small then I guess it could be hurting your jaw. But could it be your wisdom teeth that are hurting you?

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAbbie View Post
    My jaw has been hurting me, I'm going to see if my pacifier is causing it. It's hurting right in front of my ear, where my jaw connects to my skull. It's not my teeth or anything, just my jaw
    Could you be clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth? I do that, and it causes pain in my jaw and temples if it gets bad. I'd think a pacifier would help, if anything (I don't have one, so it's just a guess), but maybe not if you're biting down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    It could be the pacifier but usually when your mouth gets sore from a binky it usually the teeth. But if you are using one that is too small then I guess it could be hurting your jaw. But could it be your wisdom teeth that are hurting you?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    Could you be clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth? I do that, and it causes pain in my jaw and temples if it gets bad. I'd think a pacifier would help, if anything (I don't have one, so it's just a guess), but maybe not if you're biting down on it.
    Well, it's been an entire school day with no change, just getting worse. Now it also hurts to open my jaw and I can feel it even when I'm not moving my jaw Whenever I open it, I can hear tiny noises until I get to a certain point when it makes a popping noise. Only the side of my jaw that is hurting does that

Countdown

ms. abbie, you may wanna look into TMJ (apparently correctly known as TMD... did not know that ) the sister has this prob, and she experienced symptoms like yours for a while: Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ): Symptoms, Treatment and More

good luck...

i once had a gf that would grind her teeth in her sleep, she described symptons just like this, when you open or move jaw sometimes you can hear or feel like small crunching sensation in the jaw bone near the ear?

eventualy she was given this thing to put in her mouth while she sleept, it was like plastic and sat between the top and botton front teeth, it held her jaw in place, after she used that for awhile it went away,

see a doctor if it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAbbie View Post
    Well, it's been an entire school day with no change, just getting worse. Now it also hurts to open my jaw and I can feel it even when I'm not moving my jaw Whenever I open it, I can hear tiny noises until I get to a certain point when it makes a popping noise. Only the side of my jaw that is hurting does that
    You need to see a doctor then, pain should not be getting worse if the stimulus for pain is removed therefore it isn't your pacifier that is causing the pain and since no one here is a doctor nor can we diagnose you via the internet you need to get some professional help. Take some paracetamol or something to help with the pain for the moment but if it continues then get help.

I have a nuk 5, and i still get pain if i use my paci too often. I can usually go for 2 nights and then have to give it a break for a day.

If the pain is from clenching your jaw, here's a little trick that might help (and if it's not, this is unlikely to hurt). Close your mouth, make a fist with your hand, and put it under your jaw. Slowly open your jaw while providing resistance with your fist - you can experiment with timing, but taking 5 seconds to open it all the way is a good starting point. Repeat a couple times. I find that it helps me a lot if I've been clenching. It has something to do with using your jaw muscles in the opposite direction they normally work.

As someone with TMJ, I find it interesting that some people experience jaw pain after pacifier use... unless the paci is too small.
    I've hardly been using my NUK 5 for the last two weeks, and I started getting TMJ related headaches. I did a little research to see if that's exactly what it was. Symptoms matched up. When I do sleep with my pacifier (or night guard which I can't seem to find >.<) on a more regular basis, my TMJ symptoms pretty much diminish.