Thread: Android won't update?

Default Android won't update?

Okay.. I recently bought the LG Optimus Q/Zip (whatever it actually is) from StraightTalk at Wal-Mart for my birthday. Everything seems to be going well, except that it does not show any updates in the system info. If I restart my phone, it acts as if an update failed and alerts that "Returning to previous configuration" or something, I cant remember to well exactly what it said.

Also, I'm considering rooting; but I have no idea how to go about this. Is there a chance I can completely miff my phone from getting service? I definitely do not want to mess it up.

Halp D:

To start off, Happy Belated Birthday!

I might can help. First step, search around online to see if there is an update available for it. Second step, decide if it's worth rooting. From personal experience, 95% of the time it's worth it. Just make sure your hardware can handle it. Third step, Xda-Developers.com for any questions, comments, thoughts, or ideas.

Don't assume that the phone has an update. Make sure first.

LG is really lazy when it comes to phone OS and updates. My Optimus T did not have updates last year and there are still none right now. (it's old) Depending on how new your phone is, it may not get updates anymore, just like what DrummerDude stated above.

Now to rooting...
    Try Gingerbreak or z4 to root your phone. Rooting should not cause any problems with hardware or software if you are using an app (see above) that is compatible with your phone, but it will usually void your warranty.
    Unfortunately, there are many chances to mess up your phone after a root, such as an unsuccessful ROM flash or any other kind of brick (yellow screen, boot loop). Some "soft bricks" are reversible (albeit sometimes with much effort involved), but ones that really are bricked are best used as paper weights.

With that in mind, make sure you read EVERY tutorial very carefully and look for any side effects of installing something while rooted. For ROMs, it is best to read tutorials on XDA or CyanogenMod or any other Android community.
    Be careful and note the details. For example, I had to re-install the baseband when I installed a CM7 ROM for my phone radio to work.

Just be careful, because rooting will open your phone up to a world of wonderful things, yet it could be dangerous as well.

Default Re: Android won't update?

To add to what wasntme said, if you're not concerned about the warranty, rooting is the way to go. I'm not sure if LG locks their bootloader or not, but if they do you should be able to find an exploit that will unlock it and root it for you. If you decide to run a custom ROM there are a few precautions to take. First, before you start looking for ROMs make sure to get Titanium Backup and do a backup to the SD card of all the programs you installed and the data it stored (don't back up system apps because your custom ROM will replace those) so you can restore them when you're done flashing the new ROM. Second, get ROM Manager and install ClockWorkMod. CWM can back up your stock ROM and recover it if something goes wrong. Third, make absolutely certain that the ROM you download is for your specific phone AND carrier. Fourth, make sure you get the latest Google Apps package (usually the filename of these is gapps- followed by the date the package was compiled, I believe). Custom ROMs don't come packaged with the Play Store, Gmail, etc. so you will need those.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. :p. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone!
    I'm going to wait until this weekend to attempt anything so I have easy acess to the internet in case I mess it up or whatever!

Default Re: Android won't update?

Be careful what you do with your phone. You have a low end android phone and they have limited functionalism and might not be able to run some of those roms. It could make your phone run unfavorably. There might have some smaller roms but you won't be able to do some functions like on higher end phones. My suggestion is to get a better phone if you could save for it. Straight talk also has the Samsung Galaxy S2. Its an older phone but it has higher end ability that is still in line for updates such as Jellybean. My mother had the same phone as you and its bad imo. Its a cheaply made phone that has a lot of techical issues. LG isn't great when it comes to phones. Try sticking to Samsung, HTC. They have low end phones that run a bit better than other brands at the same price range.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by wasntme View Post
    LG is really lazy when it comes to phone OS and updates. My Optimus T did not have updates last year and there are still none right now.
    it's not just phones. my LG PVR/DVD is about 5 years old and is constantly crashing (often tripped by poor reception or confusion with transmitters). it's been like that since i bought it; i complained to LG, suggesting that they supply software updates via the internet (to then be uploaded to the device by USB or CD), but i heard nothing from them.

my earlier LG DVD Recorder also had software issues which were rectified under warranty.

a sad trend, it seems.

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Be careful what you do with your phone. You have a low end android phone and they have limited functionalism and might not be able to run some of those roms. It could make your phone run unfavorably. There might have some smaller roms but you won't be able to do some functions like on higher end phones. My suggestion is to get a better phone if you could save for it. Straight talk also has the Samsung Galaxy S2. Its an older phone but it has higher end ability that is still in line for updates such as Jellybean. My mother had the same phone as you and its bad imo. Its a cheaply made phone that has a lot of techical issues. LG isn't great when it comes to phones. Try sticking to Samsung, HTC. They have low end phones that run a bit better than other brands at the same price range.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Low end android phone? Its got a 1GHz chip. I wouldn't call that low-end, more mid range. Low range is something like a Huawei U8180 with a 528MHz processor. Anyway as long as you stay with stable ROMs made for that handset, you won't really have a problem. They wouldn't release a ROM (not even a custom one) if there was no chance of getting it to run stable and correctly on that handset (exception to development builds which are work in progress)

As for your advice, telling someone to go buy a different phone, and to stick with Samsung and HTC isn't really helpful. They have just bought this phone new. Also I disagree with what you said about the brands. If you are looking for a good quality cheap smartphone, something like a Sony Xperia Tipo would be the way to go. Sony are good with their phones (although a bitch for initial customization, with a locked bootloader and more difficult than average to root too) or with the less well known manufacturers such as ZTE and Huawei. With them, you aren't paying for the brand name so will get a bit more for your money.

- - - Updated - - -

LG is really lazy when it comes to phone OS and updates.
    LG is definitely one of the worst for getting updates out for their customers. And HTC Is probably one of the best for bringing out updates. The problem doesn't usually lie with the manufacturer though, its usually down to your network. They customize their software quite a lot, and then they have to do the same with the update, then test it all. Some networks are really fast, others are slow and sometimes don't even bother with it at all. (I know in the UK, Three is the best network for getting updates out quickly)

You can avoid the whole problem by just buying your phone SIM-Free in the first place, then you will get everything direct from the manufacturer, with no network customization or delays.

- - - Updated - - -

LG is really lazy when it comes to phone OS and updates.
    LG is definitely one of the worst for getting updates out for their customers. And HTC Is probably one of the best for bringing out updates. The problem doesn't usually lie with the manufacturer though, its usually down to your network. They customize their software quite a lot, and then they have to do the same with the update, then test it all. Some networks are really fast, others are slow and sometimes don't even bother with it at all. (I know in the UK, Three is the best network for getting updates out quickly)

You can avoid the whole problem by just buying your phone SIM-Free in the first place, then you will get everything direct from the manufacturer, with no network customization or delays.