Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate ignorance!

Default I hate ignorance!

So recently (like two weeks ago) I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. I'm in high school and had to do a personal experience speech. I chose to write it about aspergers (I'll post the speech later if you guys want me to) anyway, recently I presented it and the teacher has the audience give feedback on little slips of paper saying what we did well and what we need to work on etc. Well one of the girls comments really made me angry and somewhat sad. She said "I know you can beat it and cure yourself" SERIOUSLY?! I don't have a cold it won't go away overnight. It's not a disease, it's a dang condition! It makes me sad to see my generation feel that things like autism and being gay or something like that as "cureable" sorry, but I had to get this off of my chest -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Abdlforever View Post
    So recently (like two weeks ago) I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. I'm in high school and had to do a personal experience speech. I chose to write it about aspergers (I'll post the speech later if you guys want me to) anyway, recently I presented it and the teacher has the audience give feedback on little slips of paper saying what we did well and what we need to work on etc. Well one of the girls comments really made me angry and somewhat sad. She said "I know you can beat it and cure yourself" SERIOUSLY?! I don't have a cold it won't go away overnight. It's not a disease, it's a dang condition! It makes me sad to see my generation feel that things like autism and being gay or something like that as "cureable" sorry, but I had to get this off of my chest -_-
    It sounds to me like she was trying to be positive and helpful.

I know that you can't 'cure' yourself, but you can certainly teach yourself the social norms of society well enough that it won't affect you anymore. It sounds to me like she was trying to show you that she believes in you. Why would that make you sad?

If it's upset you this much, then maybe it was a failing in your speech, if you didn't explain well enough that it's not a disease that can be cured? It's always very easy to jump to conclusions that don't blame ourselves, and indeed, not being able to understand thing things from others point of view is one of the major symptoms of Aspergers Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    It sounds to me like she was trying to be positive and helpful.

I know that you can't 'cure' yourself, but you can certainly teach yourself the social norms of society well enough that it won't affect you anymore. It sounds to me like she was trying to show you that she believes in you. Why would that make you sad?

If it's upset you this much, then maybe it was a failing in your speech, if you didn't explain well enough that it's not a disease that can be cured? It's always very easy to jump to conclusions that don't blame ourselves, and indeed, not being able to understand thing things from others point of view is one of the major symptoms of Aspergers Syndrome.
    You're right. I do think she was in fact being nice and I probably should have seen that. Encouragement is a good thing and I failed to see that. I probably should have explained it a little better. This condition has made my life so much harder. I wish I wasn't so awkward and could feel more empathetic towards people. It sucks sometimes

You're right. I do think she was in fact being nice and I probably should have seen that. Encouragement is a good thing and I failed to see that. I probably should have explained it a little better. This condition has made my life so much harder. I wish I wasn't so awkward and could feel more empathetic towards people. It sucks sometimes
    Disabilities are a horrible thing to live with, and something that affects your social skills must be especially so - hidden disabilities are always tough.

Have you thought about looking up a few 'successful' Aspergers sufferers and seeing how they've dealt with it? Sometimes it can be good to have a role model who's overcome something similar to you. I know a few celebrities and famous figures have spoken out about having social disorders somewhat recently.

Some people genuine do not know about disorders like Aspergers. Now, a logical person would see the word disorder and automatically know tat in most/all cases it means that the final goal is being able to comfortable live with it, not curing it. Talula already explained it fantastically.

All in all, I hope you feel better about all of this and like I said, learn to comfortably live with it. If you ever want to talk you can always send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Disabilities are a horrible thing to live with, and something that affects your social skills must be especially so - hidden disabilities are always tough.

Have you thought about looking up a few 'successful' Aspergers sufferers and seeing how they've dealt with it? Sometimes it can be good to have a role model who's overcome something similar to you. I know a few celebrities and famous figures have spoken out about having social disorders somewhat recently.
    Yeah I've looked into it. My mom has done most if not all of the work finding it though. She's trying to figure out how to deal with it herself. Bought a few books actually. When she's done reading them, I'm definitely going to steal them. I've watched a few tv shows with it and read online about how to deal with it. No real success stories. I'll definitely have to look though, thanks!

I'll be a bit off-topic but My 14 years-old brother was diagnosed with an asperger syndrome. SO, I'd be glad if you can send me that speech (send me a pm and I'll give you my e-mail address).
    I don't know much about it and I'd like to know more. (if you have any good websites explaining it especially targeted at family members, I'd be willing to have some)

DRUS

I was never formally diagnosed, but preschool nurses brought in a few, "people," and they said I probably had it. At which point, the first question my mom asked was, "can it get worse?" They said no, and she put it out of her worry. Aspergers is different for everyone, but I also think people tend to think about it too much. There was a time that I was extremely self conscious about it, and tried to, "cure," myself of it. However, that quickly died out, and with my mother's help, I asked myself something... why should I care? Sure, I'm a bit, "awkward." But its not like I don't have good friends, and a loving family.

I'm not going to lie though, middle school was difficult, mainly because of bullies. But let me tell you something. Aspergers doesn't always have to be a bad thing! The minute you accept that this, "disorder," doesn't always have to be a, "disorder," you'll feel so much better.

I'm not saying that there aren't things that can be improved upon, but there really can be positives. For one, people with Aspergers are often somewhat gifted intellectually. For another, we aren't nearly as affected by peer pressure, in general. If you have good morals, (which I'm sure you do,) this really can be a blessing. I can only speak for myself, but I have never felt compelled to have a drink, or try a joint, and I do have a few friends that smoke, er, "chemicals." :p

You always want to improve on your weaknesses, but you also have to embrace your strengths! I encourage to to try and forget about, "curing," or even treating aspergers as a whole. Instead, look for the things you want to work on, and keep doing everything else.

Countdown

It makes me sad to see my generation feel that things like autism...as "cureable"
    i do not understand... why does that bother you???

is it cause of her lack of edu about the subject??? that can be annoyin, but can be easily rectified through a 'pedia search...

or did you take it as an insult of some kind??? asperger (and autism in general) is a developmental disorder... it is an "alternate way of being" (for lack of a better term), but aspies have some probs that NT people dont... the classmate may be misinformed bout the treatment of asperger (aint curable), but her comment was prob well-meaning...

Quote Originally Posted by DRUS View Post
    I was never formally diagnosed, but preschool nurses brought in a few, "people," and they said I probably had it. At which point, the first question my mom asked was, "can it get worse?" They said no, and she put it out of her worry. Aspergers is different for everyone, but I also think people tend to think about it too much. There was a time that I was extremely self conscious about it, and tried to, "cure," myself of it. However, that quickly died out, and with my mother's help, I asked myself something... why should I care? Sure, I'm a bit, "awkward." But its not like I don't have good friends, and a loving family.

I'm not going to lie though, middle school was difficult, mainly because of bullies. But let me tell you something. Aspergers doesn't always have to be a bad thing! The minute you accept that this, "disorder," doesn't always have to be a, "disorder," you'll feel so much better.

I'm not saying that there aren't things that can be improved upon, but there really can be positives. For one, people with Aspergers are often somewhat gifted intellectually. For another, we aren't nearly as affected by peer pressure, in general. If you have good morals, (which I'm sure you do,) this really can be a blessing. I can only speak for myself, but I have never felt compelled to have a drink, or try a joint, and I do have a few friends that smoke, er, "chemicals." :p

You always want to improve on your weaknesses, but you also have to embrace your strengths! I encourage to to try and forget about, "curing," or even treating aspergers as a whole. Instead, look for the things you want to work on, and keep doing everything else.
    You're actually right. I don't like alcohol and even though I've tried pot before I didn't want to and I don't want to again. I have good morals and am (as you can see) I'm very intelligent . My social skills are awful and I can't read verbal cues. Buy hey there are a lot more positives than negatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    i do not understand... why does that bother you???

is it cause of her lack of edu about the subject??? that can be annoyin, but can be easily rectified through a 'pedia search...

or did you take it as an insult of some kind??? asperger (and autism in general) is a developmental disorder... it is an "alternate way of being" (for lack of a better term), but aspies have some probs that NT people dont... the classmate may be misinformed bout the treatment of asperger (aint curable), but her comment was prob well-meaning...
    Yeah it was the lack of education in her answer that made me angry haha. I know she meant well