Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Wink Hello!

Hello all!

I'm CatMangoes (the name holds no signficance). I'm a college student majoring in Computer Science. My hobbies include Magic: the Gathering, PC Gaming, and hiding from homework.

I discovered ADISC when I got the urge to discover a forum I could feel at home in. Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMangoes View Post
    Hello all!

I'm CatMangoes (the name holds no signficance). I'm a college student majoring in Computer Science. My hobbies include Magic: the Gathering, PC Gaming, and hiding from homework.

I discovered ADISC when I got the urge to discover a forum I could feel at home in. Here's hoping!
    Hiding from homework eh? Yep, sounds about right. In fact, I should be doing readings for class right now, yet here I am. There are a few computer science types on the boards, including a couple of the staff (not me, I'm an urban planning type).

So if you play Magic, then do you play any tabletop RPGs at all? Usually devotees of one are fans of the other and vice versa. I actually have never played Magic. That started out as a deliberate choice, since I was in junior high when it first came out and it seemed like suddenly a bunch of my friends just spent all their money on Magic and never wanted to do anything else. I didn't have the money to spend on it, and I got kinda sick of them suddenly never wanting to do anything else. Now, I just haven't bothered to do it.

Anyways, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    Hiding from homework eh? Yep, sounds about right. In fact, I should be doing readings for class right now, yet here I am. There are a few computer science types on the boards, including a couple of the staff (not me, I'm an urban planning type).

So if you play Magic, then do you play any tabletop RPGs at all? Usually devotees of one are fans of the other and vice versa. I actually have never played Magic. That started out as a deliberate choice, since I was in junior high when it first came out and it seemed like suddenly a bunch of my friends just spent all their money on Magic and never wanted to do anything else. I didn't have the money to spend on it, and I got kinda sick of them suddenly never wanting to do anything else. Now, I just haven't bothered to do it.

Anyways, welcome!
    I've been meaning to get into other games like Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder. You were right about Magic, it's a costly thing; between it and my other hobbies, I kind of hemorrhage money at times.

I've been meaning to get into other games like Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder. You were right about Magic, it's a costly thing; between it and my other hobbies, I kind of hemorrhage money at times.
    Check out Savage Worlds. It's a universal system with which one can run a great range of genres, from medieval fantasy to superhero stuff to whatever. There are a number of games out now that make use of the system (which has a name that I don't recall right off hand), so there's plenty of content out there. The big story, though, is how easy it is to pick up and get into versus other systems just because it's so rules-light and streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    Check out Savage Worlds. It's a universal system with which one can run a great range of genres, from medieval fantasy to superhero stuff to whatever. There are a number of games out now that make use of the system (which has a name that I don't recall right off hand), so there's plenty of content out there. The big story, though, is how easy it is to pick up and get into versus other systems just because it's so rules-light and streamlined.
    Wow. That looks pretty cool. I might just tell my friends too. Thanks for the info!

Hello all!

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, but this is a pretty friendly forum. I feel at home here, despite normally being a lurker (but not here, apparently).

I was a computer science student, and now I'm a programmer. Instead of hiding from homework, I now hide from coworkers since they tend to ask me to do things that distract me from programming .

What's your favorite class so far? I liked operating systems, even though it was a lot of work. Even though I'm pretty much web developer now, I feel like the concepts from that class have helped a lot in figuring out why things work the way they do (schedulers, virtual memory, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, but this is a pretty friendly forum. I feel at home here, despite normally being a lurker (but not here, apparently).

I was a computer science student, and now I'm a programmer. Instead of hiding from homework, I now hide from coworkers since they tend to ask me to do things that distract me from programming .

What's your favorite class so far? I liked operating systems, even though it was a lot of work. Even though I'm pretty much web developer now, I feel like the concepts from that class have helped a lot in figuring out why things work the way they do (schedulers, virtual memory, etc).
    It was probably the first course I took. I believe it was just a very basic intro course, but the teacher was a great guy and it made the topic really enjoyable. I was really looking forward to a class I would've taken next semester, a course on Computer Graphics with a focus on Android Phones, but it filled up before I could register

Yay MORE MTG players. Yeah...the cost is ridiculous but it's awesome if you can monetize it.

Check out the MTG thread in the computers & Gaming sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottABDL View Post
    Yay MORE MTG players. Yeah...the cost is ridiculous but it's awesome if you can monetize it.

Check out the MTG thread in the computers & Gaming sub-forum.
    Wow! Didn't know about that, thanks! Also, I adore your avatar

Another MTG player, another PC gamer? and a Computer Science student!

Heh, well sounds kinda like me :P

I guess you know my interests fairly well now :P

So, what is/are your favourite programming language?