Thread: Windows 2000 CD Installation Question

Post Windows 2000 CD Installation Question

So I recently found an old Windows 2000 CD I'd aquired a few years ago to mess with. I've tried installing it in VirtualBox but when starting it up for the first time it says "Intended for Dell computers only". And I was wondering if there was some way to get around this block.

The reason I believe there is a way to get around the hardware block is because I recently installed, what was supposed to be, a "Dell only" version of Windows XP from CD onto VirtualBox. And it didn't give me that "Dell only" problem. Can anyone give me any advice?

Note: They are the original CDs (2000 and XP) if you're wondering so there's no issue of corrupt files or incomplete files.

Hi Skunk,

This type of block is there for licensing reasons. The type of CD you've got is only intended for use restoring computers from the OEM who produced the disc. As such using them to build a VM would likely be illegal, I'm afraid.

On the technical side, if I recall correctly these discs are usually keyed into a string embedded into the BIOS of the OEM's systems. If the string isn't present when the installation routine queries the BIOS, as it naturally won't be on your VM, it dies, as you've seen.
    Unless you happen to know or can work out the string, there's no way to bypass this as far as I know.

If your interested in playing around with Microsoft software, then I'd suggest checking out TechNet;

Microsoft TechNet Home Page

TechNet subscribitions, while admittedly not cheap, give you access to and keys for pretty much all Microsoft software for playing around purposes
    Even if you can't afford a subscription, there's a ton of trial software on there as well which is completely free.

Hope this helps

While I appreciate retro computing (although I think hardware is more fun), why bother with Windows 2000? If there's a program you need to run most likely it will work under XP.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    While I appreciate retro computing (although I think hardware is more fun), why bother with Windows 2000? If there's a program you need to run most likely it will work under XP.
    Unfortunately for myself all the old games I have that I thought would run on XP crash a lot. The Windows 2000 VM would've been a great thing, but I guess it's not in the cards so-to-speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    Hi Skunk,

This type of block is there for licensing reasons. The type of CD you've got is only intended for use restoring computers from the OEM who produced the disc. As such using them to build a VM would likely be illegal, I'm afraid.

On the technical side, if I recall correctly these discs are usually keyed into a string embedded into the BIOS of the OEM's systems. If the string isn't present when the installation routine queries the BIOS, as it naturally won't be on your VM, it dies, as you've seen.
    Unless you happen to know or can work out the string, there's no way to bypass this as far as I know.

If your interested in playing around with Microsoft software, then I'd suggest checking out TechNet;

Microsoft TechNet Home Page

TechNet subscribitions, while admittedly not cheap, give you access to and keys for pretty much all Microsoft software for playing around purposes
    Even if you can't afford a subscription, there's a ton of trial software on there as well which is completely free.

Hope this helps
    All I was asking was if there was a way to make it work on a non-Dell computer. lol

Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    All I was asking was if there was a way to make it work on a non-Dell computer. lol
    Well I guess the short version would be legally, no, technically, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    Unfortunately for myself all the old games I have that I thought would run on XP crash a lot. The Windows 2000 VM would've been a great thing, but I guess it's not in the cards so-to-speak.
    Really? I find that DOOM II for Windows 95 works on my Windows 7 Home Basic with no need for anything. Although the original installer doesn't work... I just open up the game window itself and that works fine. I'm no tech though so yeah. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    Well I guess the short version would be legally, no, technically, probably not.
    Thanks anyway though. Here's a pizza: