Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-Intentional Bullying

Default Non-Intentional Bullying

Now, we've all heard about people getting bullied verbally and physically, but I've found that there's something that gets on my nerves more then actually being insulted, and that's when I hear certain words like "faggot," "gay," and "retarded." Used incorrectly, usually all to mean stupid or wrong.

This can push me back into feeling like crap from feeling like I'm on top of the world. It is also harder to stop, control, or educate about. It seems like it wouldn't be that effective, but it hurts almost as much as being insulted to your face when it's directly aimed at you.

I'm beginning to call this Non-Intentional Bullying, because that's what it seems like it is. People being picked on, when the person doing it really isn't meaning to pick on the person. That also causes a dilemma since their not as much of a bad guy as someone intentionally doing it.

Anyway, I do plan on sending an anonymous note to multiple members of the faculty at my school, just to see what happens. I've told my principle about this problem before, and literally saw no change. Hopefully that's not the case this time.

Does anyone have any possible solutions to solve this problem? Or any information I should make sure to include in my letter?
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 18-Nov-2012 at 17:11.

yeah, I've seen it, even been guilty of it a few times, I hate to say, one of those nasty comments that occasionally comes out that, when said, one instantly realizes it is mean, nasty, and degrading, but, due to the wording, can also be impossible to retract, Afterwards tho, I' try not to be so harsh to that individual again, these things happen
    I've also been in strange situations in school as well I spent a few years in a place where English was not the generally spoken language (Spanish either) and I threw some nasty language back to a couple of bullies in Navajo, dammit, it happened to be in a class where the teacher knew the language (the only one in the school) yes, I'm white, why was I the one to get paddled by the principal? they said much worse to me. all I said was what amounted to 'Suck My Dick' after they called me 'Fag' in Navajo. UUHHh, lol

We absolutely don't allow it at my junior high, and if a student uses one of those words, they get a warning. If they say it again, it's considered defiance, and they will either have a detention or ISS. We don't mess around. I was with a substitute teacher yesterday who mouthed off about being against gay marriage in front of three students. I reported him and he was gone today. He's been banned at another junior high school in our district. We just don't tolerate intolerance. Oh damn. That didn't come out well, did it?

I just turn it back, I have one arrogant jerk at work, who now answers to Ya Miboun, Its Tunisian Arabic, you can Google it,

Ah Hell, here ya go,
    Arabic (tunisian) Swear Words

an edit.. I dunno, I had the same teacher in 4th grade, (the incedent was in the 8th grade) in another town, in a neighboring state (something that happens occasionally when living on a border (CO/UT)) so I guess he kinda knew me from previous experience, I usually challenge authority, especially when its heavily imposed

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    We absolutely don't allow it at my junior high, and if a student uses one of those words, they get a warning. If they say it again, it's considered defiance, and they will either have a detention or ISS. We don't mess around. I was with a substitute teacher yesterday who mouthed off about being against gay marriage in front of three students. I reported him and he was gone today. He's been banned at another junior high school in our district. We just don't tolerate intolerance. Oh damn. That didn't come out well, did it?
    The thing about tolerance, is that people forget If I have to tolerate you, you have to tolerate me, even if i am a evangelical baptist or a skin head with a swazi on my forhead.forehead. Tolerence today, just means shut up.

For every one offended by gay or faggot, there is someone who takes pride in those same words as their identity, even some where there is a person whose proud of being a nazi ,
    The problem with limiting the use of words, is it gets scary fast, because, limit words, and you limit thoughts, limit thoughts and you wind up with a society retarded.

Writing an anonymous complaint is in my opinion cowardly, if you want to make your opinions and feelings known, make it known that they are your own, how would your anonymous complaint, be any different than an an anonymous note dropped in a locker, saying you are a fill in the blank.

Supersam1223

Default Non-Intentional Bullying

Quote Originally Posted by Mollycuddle View Post
    For every one offended by gay or faggot, there is someone who takes pride in those same words as their identity, even some where there is a person whose proud of being a nazi ,
    The problem with limiting the use of words, is it gets scary fast, because, limit words, and you limit thoughts, limit thoughts and you wind up with a society retarded.
    The issue is not necessarily the words themselves, but how they are being used.

I found that the best way to get people to stop, is to make them think about it, and the possible consequences of what they are saying. The best way to teach somebody a lesson is to make them teach themselves. They all have the answer, you just have to guide them to it.

Ive done it with many friends, and people who aren't friends, and it's worked every time.

Just tell them to stop, to their face, as soon as something is said. Ultimately direct contact works better than any anonymous complaints. Whats the worst that can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollycuddle View Post
    The thing about tolerance, is that people forget If I have to tolerate you, you have to tolerate me, even if i am a evangelical baptist or a skin head with a swazi on my forhead.forehead. Tolerence today, just means shut up.

Writing an anonymous complaint is in my opinion cowardly, if you want to make your opinions and feelings known, make it known that they are your own, how would your anonymous complaint, be any different than an an anonymous note dropped in a locker, saying you are a fill in the blank.
    I'm assuming your use of "anonymous" is referring to another thread. There was nothing anonymous in what I did. The student that this was said in front of, also has a mother who is an English teacher at our school. It was she I told, and she told the principal. I told her because she is gay, and this boy has two mothers. I didn't want him to think that this man's position was my position. In fact, nothing could have been farther from his position.

The other side of the coin is taking political correctness too far. If you recall the quote from Nazi Germany, when good people sat by and said nothing. To say nothing can be construed as to condone. When this man said what he did, I spoke up to his face, telling him I thought he was wrong in his beliefs. I informed him that the very Constitution he was trying to quote, actually guarantees equality to all people. That would imply that if heterosexual couples have certain legal rights, gay couples should have those same rights. There was nothing anonymous in anything I did.

I was severely bullied in my early life, and it made me tough, that and a lot of other things which have happened to me. I will tell a person exactly what I think without flinching.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    ……Anyway, I do plan on sending an anonymous note to multiple members of the faculty at my school, just to see what happens. I've told my principle about this problem before, and literally saw no change. Hopefully that's not the case this time.

Does anyone have any possible solutions to solve this problem? Or any information I should make sure to include in my letter?
    I was referring to the intended course of action of the original poster. Not the action taken against the teacher. I paraphrased the quote for clarity. This could turn into an interesting thread.