Thread: I am Serif

Default I am Serif

Hellow, adiscers. I am Serif. Well, I am now anyway. This is a brand new identity for me--a name I've never used before--so in a sense I'm starting fresh. I like it.

I've been a "lurker" here for a very long time, looking in from the outside for what feels like almost ten years or more. Like many I'm sure before me, I finally got up the courage to get an official account, then lost the nerve to actually post anything. Some months later, with the encouragement of my amazing wife, I'm going to give it another go.

So what about me? I'm a 31 year old straight male, married with three young kids. I work as a tech writer for a big software company, mostly with digital typography (the layout and design of text in printed and online manuals and advertisements), a very modern version of a very old skillset. I live in the north-eastern united states, and enjoy most of the typical "geeky" hobbies and activities, with a few exceptions. I'm Bronie, a Patriots fan, left-handed, and some sort of a cautious Libertarian.

The more detailed story of myself, my DLism, and sexual identity is far too long to include at the moment, but I promise to write it up and post it in the other forum at some point in the future. I'll just say that I enjoy diapers in a sexual way, and that's it's taken a very long time for me to be comfortable and accepting of that enough to be talking about it here today.

Also, I'm still very worried about "the world" and my "real" identity being found out, so I kind of lied about some of the details up top; nothing substantial, just enough so that nobody who knows me in real life would recognize me from anything I say here. In that sense Serif isn't really me at all, but a sort of imperfect mirror, a chiral if you will, someone else entirely who represents me in a place where the real me longs for the association of comrades, but at the same time, is still afraid of completely opening up or putting himself out against the harsh judgements of society.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening,

.Serif.

Hi Serif. I'm relatively new to the site myself, but I think I can still say "welcome!" It took me a while to get enough courage to join and start posting as well, but I'm glad I did.

I must say that my favorite font is Helvetica, so perhaps you could have chosen a slightly better user name, but I suppose that Serif works .

I'm a programmer, but the company I work for is small enough that we don't have any tech writers. How did you get into tech writing as opposed to another technical field? I do appreciate good typography and layout, however - I can't stand how some ebooks are laid out, for example. Why do they always have to justify both sides of the text without any hyphenation? Argh! Oh well, that's a rant for another day.

When did you tell your wife about your DL side, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also around 30 (like you, I'm being slightly obscure about a few details of my life), and my SO doesn't know. I've only recently decided that I should accept that I'm a DL (and maybe a bit AB - we'll see), so until recently I was trying to suppress it. I'm planning on telling her, but so far I've wanted to come to terms with it myself first.

LittleAcorn

Countdown

Think I prefer sans serif myself... Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Serif View Post
    So what about me? I'm a 31 year old straight male
    I just noticed - you may want to change your profile settings to hide your age (which is showing up next to this post). There's nothing wrong with being vague in posts, but ADISC is pretty strict about your birthday in your profile being correct.

Hey there Serif!

It's great that you built up the courage to join the forum. This was a good first choice, this forum is extremely chill and low pressured...lost of topics have noting to do with dlism while others have some great information and advice that can give you more confidence. I really hope you post and stick to the site, I promise you won't regret it.

Welcome to the community

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    Think I prefer sans serif myself... Welcome.
    No offense taken. If you prefer sans serif, it's probably because the types of thing you're usually writing work better with those typefaces. Fonts are tools, and the trick is using the right tool for the job. Some things work better with serifs, some things without, and other things (such as software code) require something else entirely (in this case, monospace). Even much hated Comic Sans is actually very good at the job for which it was originally designed, namely superhero comic strip dialog bubbles.

.Serif.

Quote Originally Posted by Serif View Post
    Hellow, adiscers. I am Serif. Well, I am now anyway. This is a brand new identity for me--a name I've never used before--so in a sense I'm starting fresh. I like it.

I've been a "lurker" here for a very long time, looking in from the outside for what feels like almost ten years or more. Like many I'm sure before me, I finally got up the courage to get an official account, then lost the nerve to actually post anything. Some months later, with the encouragement of my amazing wife, I'm going to give it another go.

So what about me? I'm a 31 year old straight male, married with three young kids. I work as a tech writer for a big software company, mostly with digital typography (the layout and design of text in printed and online manuals and advertisements), a very modern version of a very old skillset. I live in the north-eastern united states, and enjoy most of the typical "geeky" hobbies and activities, with a few exceptions. I'm Bronie, a Patriots fan, left-handed, and some sort of a cautious Libertarian.

The more detailed story of myself, my DLism, and sexual identity is far too long to include at the moment, but I promise to write it up and post it in the other forum at some point in the future. I'll just say that I enjoy diapers in a sexual way, and that's it's taken a very long time for me to be comfortable and accepting of that enough to be talking about it here today.

Also, I'm still very worried about "the world" and my "real" identity being found out, so I kind of lied about some of the details up top; nothing substantial, just enough so that nobody who knows me in real life would recognize me from anything I say here. In that sense Serif isn't really me at all, but a sort of imperfect mirror, a chiral if you will, someone else entirely who represents me in a place where the real me longs for the association of comrades, but at the same time, is still afraid of completely opening up or putting himself out against the harsh judgements of society.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening,

.Serif.
    Impact! Impact everywhere!

Welcome to the place where cubs come to be, Serif! It's wonderful to have you here!

I can completely relate about wanting to reinvent yourself. I went through that several years ago when I moved from NY to CA and I've come to a better understanding of my identity shift over the following years.

Its also wonderful to have another adult pony fan amongst us. Mated, too! While I don't personally truck with the DL stuff you otherwise seem to have many similar interests to myself!

I hope you have a wonderful time here and find a comfortable place to rest your hooves.