Thread: Physical Therapy Help.

Default Physical Therapy Help.

Has anyone ever gone though physical therapy? I have to do it 3 time's a week for my wrist fracture, and it's really painful. It's like a bit over half as bad pain wise as breaking my wrist in the first place.
    Basically my question is does anyone have any tips on regaining function and range of motion back, and how to alleviate some pain associated with the therapy exercises.

literallegionaire

i've had to go to physical theropy quite a bit. once for my quad and then continuealy for the past year now for both my sholders. i had a really bad rotater cuff injury playing hockey. anyway yes it hurts like a bitch, but its well worth it. try to just keep your mind off it and think of something else. if you have to let out a manly scream or painful laugh to easen the pain. trust me they dont mind they deal with it all day long. i was in there once and a man walked in, huge guy built like a lumber jack with huge arms and legs. sits down on the table. my PT bends his leg all of 2 inches and he starts screaming! like absolutely wailing as if he was being lit on fire. granted me and the PT laughed at him a little but we didnt judge him. 1 because we both know the pain of it, and 2.......i was next O_O

just hang in there, trust me its worth it. soon enough you'll be back like your old self again and thats worth the pain. oh and ice helps.....ALOT

Quote Originally Posted by literallegionaire View Post
    i've had to go to physical theropy quite a bit. once for my quad and then continuealy for the past year now for both my sholders. i had a really bad rotater cuff injury playing hockey. anyway yes it hurts like a bitch, but its well worth it. try to just keep your mind off it and think of something else. if you have to let out a manly scream or painful laugh to easen the pain. trust me they dont mind they deal with it all day long. i was in there once and a man walked in, huge guy built like a lumber jack with huge arms and legs. sits down on the table. my PT bends his leg all of 2 inches and he starts screaming! like absolutely wailing as if he was being lit on fire. granted me and the PT laughed at him a little but we didnt judge him. 1 because we both know the pain of it, and 2.......i was next O_O

just hang in there, trust me its worth it. soon enough you'll be back like your old self again and thats worth the pain. oh and ice helps.....ALOT
    Daaaw poor guy lol. Your so right about ice though helps kill the pain everytime. Sorry about your injuries *hugs*.

Oh and did you receive exercise worksheets to follow and do the stretches on them? I did and I hate doing them, actually have to do some here in a little bit >.<!

^What Legionaire said^

I've been through physical theropy a few times through out my life; the most drastic of which was from when I broke my femur when I was 11.

It's not fun; your body has been injured and all it really wants to do is not move the injured part and let it heal. Obviously, that's not always the best thing you can do for an injury, since it can result in less mobility or even perminant crippling in that area- which is why we do physio. Like I said, physio is not fun at all, but really, the only thing to do is "harden up" and keep at it. Just think of the reward for your efforts.

When I broke my leg, it was life shattering. I had to have surgery after the break and then again a year later. I was in hospital for four weeks, then on crutches for another three or so, all the while doing physio. I was practically "side-lined" for two years; unable to run or ride my bike or do anything overly physical. It hurt and it was humiliating, but my parents wouldn't let me quit and now , 19 years later, I'm glad they made me stick with it.

Today, I can walk, run, hike and climb as ably as anyone else. The only sign of my injury is the surgical scar on the side of my upper thigh and the slight pain I get on really cold days -but it could have been so much worse.

So, yeah, sorry I haven't really got any advice on how to stop physio exercises from being painful. All I can suggest is just think about how much you want to still use your wrist in a year's time when the pain is long gone. Say to yourself "I know you hurt, but you're NOT beating me" and keep at it.

You'll be thankful if you do.

Good luck

literallegionaire

Quote Originally Posted by jter42 View Post
    Daaaw poor guy lol. Your so right about ice though helps kill the pain everytime. Sorry about your injuries *hugs*.

Oh and did you receive exercise worksheets to follow and do the stretches on them? I did and I hate doing them, actually have to do some here in a little bit >.<!
    well for my leg i got them right away....and didnt do any of them. i regret that now because its not fully healed, but its not terrible. for my arm i didnt get the exercises until about a month into it and i did them for a little while but stopped. they didnt have a real effect on my arm at all so it didnt matter for me. i suggest you do them and not be lazy like me but yes i got them and yes they suck.

oh and when your therepy is over dont forget to use the thera-bands as a sling shot they work great

Basically my question is does anyone have any tips on regaining function and range of motion back
    Yeah, it's called "Physiotherapy"...it's amazing how well it works!

and how to alleviate some pain associated with the therapy exercises.

No pain, no gain! Actually, heat will help alleviate some of the pain. (Ice is for inflammation/swelling.) Heat is for relaxing the muscles.

When I had physio a few years back I also received a heat-massage as part of the therapy.

Seriously tho', asking your physiotherapist would be a better idea than asking a bunch of diaper wearers.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post

Seriously tho', asking your physiotherapist would be a better idea than asking a bunch of diaper wearers.
    Oh don't worry I've bombarded her with questions. I just wanted to see how other people coped with PT when they went through it. Thank's for the advice by the way, greatly appreciated!

Been there too... had my hand fractured at a work accident years ago and went through almost a year of pt. after that... at first it WAS painful.. but well, no pain no gain... in that case it's quite true... massaging helps, ice helps, and if you keep at it - that helps the most.
    my PT guy back then showed me a bunch of things I could do at home which really seemed to improve the rehab time A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by literallegionaire View Post
    i had a really bad rotater cuff injury playing hockey. anyway yes it hurts like a bitch, but its well worth it.
    i was wondering about the difference in pain you felt, before and after surgery.
    i've buggered both my shoulders (tore the left first, then the right has torn from working one-handed) and am [supposedly] due for surgery, some time soon (but only on one the left side).

the thing is, the original injury, to the left shoulder, happened almost 3 years ago (let's not open the box of why it's taken so long to get treatment) and whilst not laying up the shoulder, totally, i have purposely not used it for anything other than light and limited movement. since that side has improved (pain and restriction-wise) during that time, with the right getting steadily worse, i've been toying with the idea of seeing if the left-side has healed itself and then hopefully laying up the right until that has healed (if possible).

the problem is that of not knowing, without MRI scans, the state of the injury as it is, now, and if it's wise to undertake an exercise regimen. the only guage available to me is pain (the levels and types).
    so, i'd be interested to hear your experience of the pain, before and after surgery.

i currently do occasional shoulder exercises, focusing on the back and top of the shoulder, incorporating 3kg weights, and all such depending upon how much it aggravates the injuries (the joint of the left seems to have become arthritic); and i sold all my other weight equipment after being told by a surgeon that i'd never be able go back to my work, even with surgery, owing to the extent of the injury.

as a disclaimer, i'm not seeking medical advice, only personal experiences. professional medical advice and treatment for non-life threatening conditions aren't readily available to my people, so asking a 'doctor' isn't much of an option.

and, ta, in advance.