Thread: Might buy a stroller..like in 5 days... Thoughts?

Default Might buy a stroller..like in 5 days... Thoughts?

So I've been eyeing some listings on Craigslist. Baby strollers and such. Don't ask me how I think a 200 pound person like me is gonna NOT break a baby stroller made for a 50 pound max weight limit but idk I want to try it anyhow since when I had my car seat the max weight was 80 or 100 pounds and it worked.

Well something even more special just popped up. I've been looking for Maclaren strollers in particular because moms all across message boards say the Maclaren Techno XLR is like the biggest stroller ever and there are accounts of them using it on their 5 and 7 year old at Disney world and such.

The plan was just to just get one of them, used on Craigslist to try. By the way if you didn't know, the company Maclaren happens to be the Rolls Royce of baby strollers so used would still be like $200 lol. I guess I thought even if I broke it what the hell at least I had my fun, right ? LOL

Anyhow something even better popped up like two nights ago. A special needs stroller made by the same company!!!

The downer is it's still not made to take my weight. Some special needs websites are saying it holds up to 140 pounds and others are saying only up to 110 pounds. Damn it, I need to lose weight lol

Anyhow, it's awesome cuz IMO, it looks exactly like a baby stroller.. well as close to it as it can be without getting too medical/industrialized looking.

Of course it's still $200 used because it was (and don't choke on a piece of toast here) a whopping $650 brand new on sale through special needs websites.

It's called the Maclaren Major Elite if you wanna see a picture of it just go here: Major Elite - Maclaren US

So yeah, should I get it used for $200? Or am I nuts LOL? BTW, my boyfriend agreed to push me around in it behind closed doors in our 3 bedroom apartment if it doesn't break from my weight HAHAHA

Some of the three wheel jogging strollers have higher weight limits >100lbs, too. The Mac Major stroller is an expensive one to buy brand new. As mentioned on a previous stroller thread, usually people who need them for their kids, due to medical or physical disabilities, have insurance that pays at least part of the cost.

Stroller manufacturers assign weight limits for non-special needs strollers based on how much liability they are willing to assume - the lower the weight limit, the less liability. Not sure if they do the same for special needs strollers since they are built more robust for larger/older kids. Well made strollers generally can handle much more weight than the limits would suggest, though I wouldn't push the limits by much on smaller umbrella and cheaply made models with lots of plastic in their construction. Some of the cheaper ones have been known to break even under the weight of children. Usually the plastic wheels give out first.

i'm thinking the Major could hold your extra 60lbs., but please don't quote me on that. I'm basing that on the fact I've sat in two regular Maclaren strollers I own when weighing 140lbs. and the strollers held me OK, and my weight was more than 60lbs. over the published limit. It's certainly up to you if you want to spend $200 on a stroller to try out, but that's a chunk of change to lose if it would happen to break under your weight. If you get it, let us know how it works out for you.

~Pramrider

Default Might buy a stroller..like in 5 days... Thoughts?

Oooh cool I'm feeling confident about it now. The deciding factor is if it fits in next weeks budget. Honestly even if it it would be disappointing but not sure I'd care...at least I'll know then and the experience of picking it up from a non abdl aware person and trying to get it in the house without my neighbors knowing will be a thrilling experience I'm sure lol Besides you're talking to a girl that spent 400 bucks on a once and a life time one night concert in NYC with her boyfriend so yeah I just might be crazy enough to make this purchase. I'll let u know if we have enough money for it in a few days :-)

I say go for it. If you can afford it, it is worth the shot. Even if it doesn't fit exactly right then it will still be a nice item, plus if worst comes to worst I'm sure you could donate it to someone that really needs it and then feel all warm inside. There are actually some not so bad special needs strollers, but the more "real" looking they are the more expensive they are and they may even question why you are not using insurance to buy them. For the price, even though it is a lot of money, I think it would be worth it. I might even end up getting one eventually, but I have my eyes set on some of those special needs ones.

Well,

I have a CX-18 from convaid...Had it for a bit now...

It's way comfortable...

It has some options on it like the foot positionars and 5 Point harness seat belts and such...

Wish it had the tray though, Might get that later...

I use it for more than just sitting in too...

I've bee in it instead of a regular wheel chair too...

I con't walk very far since my car crash...

So I got pushed through ikea and in the park in the last couple of weeks...

Not super fancy...But really comfortable and adjustable...

I've seen some other ones on ebay and craigslist as well...

B
    Last edited by Bigbabybret; 12-Nov-2012 at 22:23. Reason: Pic

Quote Originally Posted by iheartpacifiers View Post
    So I've been eyeing some listings on Craigslist. Baby strollers and such. Don't ask me how I think a 200 pound person like me is gonna NOT break a baby stroller made for a 50 pound max weight limit but idk I want to try it anyhow since when I had my car seat the max weight was 80 or 100 pounds and it worked.

Well something even more special just popped up. I've been looking for Maclaren strollers in particular because moms all across message boards say the Maclaren Techno XLR is like the biggest stroller ever and there are accounts of them using it on their 5 and 7 year old at Disney world and such.

The plan was just to just get one of them, used on Craigslist to try. By the way if you didn't know, the company Maclaren happens to be the Rolls Royce of baby strollers so used would still be like $200 lol. I guess I thought even if I broke it what the hell at least I had my fun, right ? LOL

Anyhow something even better popped up like two nights ago. A special needs stroller made by the same company!!!

The downer is it's still not made to take my weight. Some special needs websites are saying it holds up to 140 pounds and others are saying only up to 110 pounds. Damn it, I need to lose weight lol

Anyhow, it's awesome cuz IMO, it looks exactly like a baby stroller.. well as close to it as it can be without getting too medical/industrialized looking.

Of course it's still $200 used because it was (and don't choke on a piece of toast here) a whopping $650 brand new on sale through special needs websites.

It's called the Maclaren Major Elite if you wanna see a picture of it just go here: Major Elite - Maclaren US

So yeah, should I get it used for $200? Or am I nuts LOL? BTW, my boyfriend agreed to push me around in it behind closed doors in our 3 bedroom apartment if it doesn't break from my weight HAHAHA
    I have one and yes it will take my weight 175 pounds but it is too small for all but the smallest TB. So save yoru money and go for the convaid stroller. Thats what I am looking for but havent found one yet! I am looking at the size 16 or 18. The 16 is good for 170 pounds and it looks about the right size for me. The draw back is to get with all the options I want it's going to be close to $2000. I have been looking for one used but no luck.

So hold off on the Maclaren you will be disapointed.