Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Economy

Default US Economy

I would like to hear different opinions on the current state of the economy. It is looking bad one day, great the next, and back and forth. I personally think that we will eventually pull through, but until then it will be a long haul. I also think that Obama is the man to pull us through.

I think its fine considering people are still buying Ipods, Video games, Going to the movies, Shopping etc. How much money has High school Musical 3 made or Saw 5??

Where have you been? The economy hasn't looked good for 6 months. Job losses are up, productivity increase down. All indicators point towards a recession, if we aren't already in one.

Of course we shall pull through. Despite what the media and politicians tell you, this is not that bad. Everyone keeps comparing this to the Great Depression. It is not. Not even close.

The economy will improve with time. A few months, probably. Don't expect in to be all honey and flowers when Obama takes office. Nothing he does is going to speed recovery. It takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    The economy will improve with time. A few months, probably.
    usually, any setbacks or mishaps in the economy take years to overcome.
    the latest mishap was just part of general downward trend which has been in the making for quite a few years.
    while there's been much speculation about the nature of the current events and the spouted wisdom that such things are inevitable, i'd like to propose the possibility that the 'crunch' may have been an orchestrated event intended to speed up the economic downturn........why? well, think about it: if western economies slacken, so do all the 'developing' and third-world economies (and to a much greater extent) from which we source goods and the knock-on effect is that they and their associates are put in a much weaker economic and political posistion; i'm talking about countries like china and russia.....and their associates are iran (to whom they supply weapons and nuclear technologies) and al-qaeda and the taliban (weapons).
    western economies are much better placed to weather global recessions (mainly because they are the hub and generator of the global economy) than those economies that serve them and, if one was wishing to put one's servants in their place, an economic slap would be a good idea (it being that any slap hurts the slapper as much as the slapped - it's just a matter of who can take the most pain), and that's my reasoning behind this proposal.

I agree. This recession will hit China, Russia, and other developing nations harder then it will the US or Europe. Take Oil. When the economy was better, oil was above $140 a barrel. Now it's less then half that. It certainly hurts when your primary export is halved in value in a few months. Percisely for this reason, I believe that the West will weather this storm in a much shorter timeframe then before. The US hasn't faced a recession like this since the end of the Cold War. With the globalized economy the way it is, it will work out very well for the west as raw material prices fall from previous all time highs.

Again, I agree with your analysis that less developed countries dependant on exports will be hit much harder then the developed west will be. I worry that much of the work the US and Europe has done in Africa will be destroyed by civil unrest in the worsening economic climate of Africa.

Of course the economy is going to pull through, only an idiot would think otherwise.

What I find funny, is all the people who are pulling their money out of the stock markets for half of what they paid in the first place, or less.

It's the time to buy people, not sell. Duhhhhh.

Well, thing is -- it would appear we haven't hit bottom yet. Job loss rates the last few months just came out, and they're not good. Now with 6.5% unemployment in the US we've surpassed the slowdown in 2003 and are back to where we were in 1994. And, we very well could drop further.

Also, re: buying now; if you think it's going down further, you could still sell now and buy back in at a lower price, saving you at least a little cash. Of course, that's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I personally think things will get worse before they get better. Look at the crisis now happening in the auto industry. Big auto is now seeking $50 billion in federal loans ( Bloomberg.com: Worldwide ) and now GM doesn't even know if it will have enough money to finish this year ( Bloomberg.com: Worldwide ).

What's really killing GM is they had excellent benefits for a long time. But now, they have so many retirees that it's crippling them when you combine it with the bad market at large.

If you ask me, a big sign of where we're going will be the Christmas season and the shopping that goes along with it. A lot of stores depend on Christmas to turn a good annual profit. If things don't improve by then, people very well may decide that they have to hold on to what money they have, fearing what the economy is doing. This could be a major blow to the economy on top of what's happening now.

It'll be years before we've really recovered, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    It's the time to buy people, not sell. Duhhhhh.
    me's a chuckling. i think it's a fundamental flaw that everything is 'up for grabs' in our economies and it shows in situations like now. it's far too easy to end up in a catch-22 situation which can drag down healthy areas of the economy. and so, yes, people should be making a more positive approach to city-dealing, under this system.
    but, i've had the thought for a long time that certain services and products should not be open to the free-market and their costs to the buyers should be capped. this would hopefully have an attitudinal knock-on effect throughout the rest of the economy in that goods and services have intrinsic worths and ought not be under nor over valued, thus avoiding much of the speculating and marketeering to which we have become accustomed.
    dampening down the over-valuing of goods and services would also go someway to pulling the reins on the stupidly, giddy filly of inflation. 'course, that doesn't deal with the consistant antagoniser of that horse: the taxman.

Quote Originally Posted by juriev View Post
    I would like to hear different opinions on the current state of the economy. It is looking bad one day, great the next, and back and forth. I personally think that we will eventually pull through, but until then it will be a long haul. I also think that Obama is the man to pull us through.
    Let's take a look at Obama's tax plans:

Raise taxes, I don't see how that will help the economy. (Yeah he said he was going to lower taxes for 95% of something, but the amount that people earn has steadily decreased since his $250,000, all the way down to $150,000 as Biden said, or $120,000 as Richardson said. How long before the $100,000 barrier is broken, or $75,000, or even lower. Also those numbers are for families, so for single people that number is already lower.)
    Raise taxes on businesses, driving either prices up or businesses to close.
    Raise taxes on Capital Gains, making people pull their money out of the stock market before they have to pay the higher taxes.

I don't think that this is the time to raise taxes on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    Where have you been? The economy hasn't looked good for 6 months. Job losses are up, productivity increase down. All indicators point towards a recession, if we aren't already in one.
    Uhh I been right here. But as far as I seen everyone is still shopping and buying crap they don't even need to live. Anyways if I had a job which I never looked for yet so don't say see you don't even have a job, its that horrible!

Anyways back to the point if I had a job I would be buying stock left and right. I wouldn't put all my money into it but the current situation would not make me stay away from buying stock. Right now I would invest money into AMD and Intel and Nvidia. Three of the top brands in the computing world that have recently take a pretty good plunge in value. Its possible they can go out but I don't think its likely due to their size, popularity and stature. When was the last time you seen a store bought PC come with a CPU that wasn't AMD or Intel?