Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your diapers

Default your diapers

Can diapers go bad like if your have them for months or years will they still be good to use?

It mostly depends on where you store them. If you put them in a humid area for a long time, then they'll be a lot less effective than before you put them in there (for obvious reasons). If you leave them in a hot area then they might fall apart easier after some time, like how a plastic bag gets brittle in a car.

For best results, leave them in a cool, dry area, like the attic

Ok i keep them in my closet in the summer and usually keep them in my drawer

I went a bit crazy a couple of years ago and brough a couple of box, i am still using them up at the moment, they seem fine, but somehow they don't quiet feel the same as if they new. I been storing mine in garage and now closet

When stored properly they do not go bad. I have diapers from 1988 that are still good as new, and work too!

Agree with others. I have old diapers that still work great, some better than diapers made today! As an aside, the thread title was too generic...could've been more specific...just sayin'...

Some diapers say right on the bag that they should be used within a certain period of time and that once opened they should not be stored for long periods. This is likely applicable mostly to diapers that rely heavily on SAP. Humidity is a price that can affect a diapers reliability.

Heat has also been mentioned as a problem in storing diapers. I would also say that UV light could cause some diapers to deteriorate.

Some diapers are designed to degrade over time, this is more of an environmental feature.

I would say that if you have premium diapers that have a SAP content that it is best to use the package once opened within a few months. It is also best to store them in a cool, dry location that is out of sunlight and other UV light sources. The package should remain sealed until you need I open it. Then it is best to store them for the shortest time possible.

Default Re: your diapers

Quote Originally Posted by troubleboi View Post
    I went a bit crazy a couple of years ago and brough a couple of box, i am still using them up at the moment, they seem fine, but somehow they don't quiet feel the same as if they new. I been storing mine in garage and now closet
    Same here. I've kept them in the attic all this time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

One thing: plastic softener... that's the stuff keeping the PU or whatever stuff "flexible and supple" ... especially in UV Contact it will "evaporate" (not the correct term... ) over time.
    it does so anyhow, at a slower rate though... so the plastic will get stiffer / quality degrades... but that depends on the type of plastic used, and would TAKE a loong time.

Also consider that many meds have gone-bad-dates.... stamped on the package... and in about 90% of them, it's basically complete bullsh*t.
    most can easily be kept 10x as long without anything going wrong... some loose bit of their quality / effectivity ...
    Well there are some that really loose their effectivity or actually go BAD and shouldn't be taken anymore.... ...
    But in many cases it's a reason for drugstores, medical facilities, etc. to have to buy new stuff and keep the suppliers "happy in cash".

Quote Originally Posted by bambinobaby View Post
    Agree with others. I have old diapers that still work great, some better than diapers made today! As an aside, the thread title was too generic...could've been more specific...just sayin'...
    Yea I have had similar experiences. It is just best to buy what you will use within a reasonable period of time. For those who need to hide diapers it is also good to not have too many on hand at any time, for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    One thing: plastic softener... that's the stuff keeping the PU or whatever stuff "flexible and supple" ... especially in UV Contact it will "evaporate" (not the correct term... ) over time.
    it does so anyhow, at a slower rate though... so the plastic will get stiffer / quality degrades... but that depends on the type of plastic used, and would TAKE a loong time.

Also consider that many meds have gone-bad-dates.... stamped on the package... and in about 90% of them, it's basically complete bullsh*t.
    most can easily be kept 10x as long without anything going wrong... some loose bit of their quality / effectivity ...
    Well there are some that really loose their effectivity or actually go BAD and shouldn't be taken anymore.... ...
    But in many cases it's a reason for drugstores, medical facilities, etc. to have to buy new stuff and keep the suppliers "happy in cash".
    The expiration dates and recommendations on how fast product is used is generally a function of product freshness, quality and stability. When it comes to drugs there are some that loose potency, and others gain in potency. Regardless a manufacturer has an obvious duty to warn customers that a product might not be as good if held for too long. This is especially true if we are talking about a drug that will have different or even unknown properties when held for an extended period of time.

Imagine what would happen if the plastic were to start deteriorating on your long stashed diapers, then one day you get to wearing them, they fall apart and make a big mess. The manufacturer is going to want to limit there liability even if it is an unknown risk.