Thread: Election in Puerto Rico

Lightbulb Election in Puerto Rico

A 77.74% of Puerto Rican voted the past Mars November 6, 2012

Here are the results of the elections in Puerto Rico

Governor winner CEE Event

Plebiscite on Puerto Rico Political Status

1)Do you agree that Puerto Rico should continue to have its present form of territorial status?

Win CEE Event

2)Regardless of your selection in the first question, please mark which of the following non-territorial options would you prefer. INDEPENDENCE, STATEHOOD our SOVEREIGN FREE ASSOCIATED STATE

Win CEE Event

- - - Updated - - -

My last post here of Puerto Rico: http://www.adisc.org/forum/mature-topics/64511-united-states-americas-51-states.html

I am honestly for whatever Puerto Rico wishes to go, being our countries' most populus territory. My opinion with Extra statehood territories is that we should offer either Statehood or Sovereignty. US territories seem to be in a wierd legal limbo where some US citizens do not have the same basic rights as other US citizens, if not true statehood, then they should be free to go their own way. One of the main reasons for America becoming its own country was taxation without representation. Why are we doing this to our territories? People in Puerto Rico and other US territories work, pay taxes to, and even receive benefits from the Federal government, but, in general, have no real representation at the federal level, it is an anethema to our democracy.

If Puerto Rico gains statehood, does anyone know what their electoral standing would be? Safe democrat/republican? Swing? I've always heard that PR is conservative but I don't think I've ever read any analysis about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    People in Puerto Rico and other US territories work, pay taxes to, and even receive benefits from the Federal government, but, in general, have no real representation at the federal level, it is an anethema to our democracy.
    I always that that Puerto Ricans aren't subject to US taxes. While in Puerto Rico, anyway.

Countdown

Republicans are not going to go for it (PR statehood), as Puerto Rico has an abundant Hispanic population, and we all know how that went for the Repubs this election....

Don't care about the issue myself. No opinion on it.

^^ AEsa is correct, the Puerto Ricans are not subject to federal income tax...but DC sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    One of the main reasons for America becoming its own country was taxation without representation. Why are we doing this to our territories?
    DC actually has it on its license plates

I think DC should have representation in both houses of Congress. I would imagine that one party would fully support that and another would call in every last favor to stop it from happening.

Take a wild guess which is which.

Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I think DC should have representation in both houses of Congress. I would imagine that one party would fully support that and another would call in every last favor to stop it from happening.

Take a wild guess which is which.
    Repubs, of course, but tbh, if DC were 90% Repub, I doubt the Dems would be all for DC representation partisanship all around

NeoPowersPR

Agree with furcub