Thread: Amazon Lockers (like a PO box)

Default Amazon Lockers (like a PO box)

Amazon has these PO Box like lockers in certain places. You order something off amazon and you can have it sent to one of these lockers at no extra charge. When your package arrives you enter a code into the kiosk and your locker opens and you take out your package.

Aamazon just annonced it's going to put these in some Staples stores. Which you can read more about here. Staples Is Getting Amazon Lockers

the only down side is packages must be less then 10 pounds and under 11.8 inches on each side. top, bottom, left, right.

So I'm not sure how badly this limits diaper ordering options. Plus it has to be ordered off amazon certainly. Just figured it's worth pointing out.

Wow, this is a cool idea. Not sure that the size that is pictured will be very effective and they may have to adapt things a bit, but I love this idea. Hopefully there will be lockers big enough for a couple of packs of diapers or a moderately sized box. Full cases might be out completely but still a good thing for other baby things, and otherwise.

Default RE: Amazon Lockers (like a PO box)

For the UK I use mybybox. Same kind of thing but you can order from anyone and have it sent to a locker.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    the only down side is packages must be less then 10 pounds and under 11.8 inches on each side. top, bottom, left, right.

So I'm not sure how badly this limits diaper ordering options. Plus it has to be ordered off amazon certainly. Just figured it's worth pointing out.
    You probably won't be getting premium diapers in there because those packages can end up being quite large but if you're simply after a pack of Drynites then it would be a suitable option.

Quote Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
    For the UK I use mybybox. Same kind of thing but you can order from anyone and have it sent to a locker.
    Cool, I had no idea that something similar existed in the UK. I guess this is a natural step from the Mailbox types stores and even the Post Office, in the US they offer boxes. What seems to be different here is that instead of a dedicated box they have a much more efficient use of a similar resource.

Maybe eventually Amazon will allow larger packages, maybe for now they just want to see how they do.

I noticed this option a few months ago. As I live in the city where Amazon is based, Seattle was probably the first to feature them. However, I have yet to use them.

I asked a good friend of mine who is a coder for Amazon if it costs anything to use them. He mentioned that there was a small surcharge to cover upkeep, as well as to essentially 'pay rent' to the business owner for their placement. That may not be the case anymore, as they were still in a trial phase at that point.

I will have to pester him again to see if they dropped the surcharge. They have plenty of locations throughout the Seattle metro area and, if it saves me shipping, I may as well give it a go. ^_^

Sounds like something really useful for books and small electronics (like DVDs, games, etc.). Bigger purchases, not so much.

For folks in the UK, there's also Collect+, which allows you to specify delivery to small local shops - newsagents mostly. Useful for me, as I'm in a flat with communal door and getting packages delivered is a real hassle sometimes.