Thread: Adult Swim's Toonami block

Default Adult Swim's Toonami block

We all know that Adult Swim brought Toonami back and they've done a decent job with the block so far, but they need more new shows to make things interesting. Here's my question to you guys, are there any shows you wish were on the new Toonami block?

Here's mine:
    One Piece (Funimation version)
    Gurren Lagann
    Tiger & Bunny
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Fairy Tail
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Heaven's Lost Property
    Original Dragonball (not DBZ)
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Last edited by Scumdude91; 07-Nov-2012 at 01:02.

YAY! Another DL Otaku! I believe they have done a decent job, but i would have liked to see some anime from back
    when i was young, like Yu Yu Hakusho, or Rurouni Kenshin. They have been okay with mainstream titles,
    but thats about all Toonami is. Mainstream, and random anime (WHY IS SAMURAI 7 THERE!?) but yeah,
    Toonami, is Toonami, and i will just stick to my current watch list online if i wanna see some anime.
    2012 has had quite a decent anime run, and 2013 is already looking nice with Haganai, and seitokai no ichizon
    second seasons in Japan, and dub releases of Baka and Test, and Is this a zombie?

Glad to find another anime fan on here!

Tenchi Muyo is the only show i'm won over by and I record Inuyasha. I'm with observerX on this one, I create a better Toonami block by watching a schedule of shows online (CrunchyRoll, AnimeFreak, DubHappy).

Toonami has been rehashing the same shows since 97' for the most part. I'm actually sort of shocked they came back, but I knew it was a marketing ploy on AS's part to somehow reel back in the "oldies" in someway for nostalgia purposes. Which, in all honesty, have gotten old and moved on to watching it free on either Hulu, Crunchy Roll, or some streaming service (most the shows listed you can). So from a marketing stand point, I'm confused. Even it's placement at midnight to the crack of dawn makes no sense unless you got a DVR or have insomnia. At that point, mind as well click the browser and head over to Hulu with fewer commercials if you want a daily dose of nostalgia.

but they need more new shows to make things interesting.
    If they want to get the rights to them, they need to buy more. But AS is cheap, and we see the same shows constantly play (Cowboy Bebop). That's partially why they have 1 or 2 new shows in maybe a year or two. And they only have probably one "prime time" slot at Midnight to 1am.

That's also why Syfy's Ani-Monday blocks didn't last very long, a niche program being dominated by more readily available niche services.

Full Metal Alchemist was an old favorite of mine.
    Rurouni Kenshin
    There were also some older Gundam episodes I liked, can't remember the exact names though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphiron View Post
    Full Metal Alchemist was an old favorite of mine.
    yes that one, when that first came on adult swim i got hooked on it, when the first season ended i learned how to pirate movies just so that i could watch the second season early, i dl'd and watched the entire second season a week later, of course it wasnt english dubbed that way and i had to go with captions, but it didnt bother me

in fact i kinda thought the voices fit better that way, oddly enough,

other then that show the only thing i would wish for would actualy be nickelodeon shows, which it seems to me toonami is just an anime thing, but if they did nick id want rugrats, rockos modern life, things like that, reminds me of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by BecominAbaby View Post
    yes that one, when that first came on adult swim i got hooked on it, when the first season ended i learned how to pirate movies just so that i could watch the second season early, i dl'd and watched the entire second season a week later, of course it wasnt english dubbed that way and i had to go with captions, but it didnt bother me

in fact i kinda thought the voices fit better that way, oddly enough,

other then that show the only thing i would wish for would actualy be nickelodeon shows, which it seems to me toonami is just an anime thing, but if they did nick id want rugrats, rockos modern life, things like that, reminds me of my childhood.
    I think TeenNick channel usually plays the old school Nick shows around the midnight hours.

I liked some of the older shows like the Gundams, and even Sailor Moon. The cut version of One Piece is no where as good as the uncut version.

I'm actually very happy they brought back Toonami and have been DVRing it since it's re-introduction in hopes they'll expand it. I do wish they'll bring back Trigun and begin showing Fairy Tail and Fractale.