Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cub Finding An Affinity For Racing Games

Question Cub Finding An Affinity For Racing Games

So as I grew up playing games one genre that was never really my favorite was the Racing genre.

All of a sudden, however, I'm kinda really getting into them. The three games I have right now are Burnout Paradise, Dirt 3, and NFS: Hot Pursuit. I really enjoy the latter and enjoy the former (but haven't put much time into it).

For my fellow cubs who love virtual racing cars what games would you reccommend to me?

Sometimes I feel silly falling in love with racing games even though I don't know anything about real cars. *blush*

I Love racing games! I can't think of any titles because I've played so many, but my wittle bro says try Burnout Revenge if you haven't already.

*giggles* I had a feeling you liked racing games. I really wanted to talk to you more 'bout that kinda stuff. Especially more about vroom vroom cars. I think mebbe we could be car cub buddies for sure!

Speaking of which, I wanted to show you my piston cup!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000052.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	15154

But yeah, I totes played Burnout: Revenge. That was some time ago. How about more recent games you liked? Do you like the Need For Speed series much?

I also heard the Cars 2 game was actually pretty darn fun.

If you like racing you gotta have Forza Motorsport 4 It's the best racing game in the world the end.

Oh yeah The new Forza Horizon is kinda disappoint me really. The graphic, setting, place is all awesome. But the cars? Terrible just 100ish (FM 4 with all the DLC is about 600ish). They put the amazing Eagle Speedster but it the cars list is disappointment for me.

oh yeah Test Drive Unlimited 2 sure Forza Horizon makes that game looks ancient but still nice game.

Grid. If you want to feel what is it like to be real racing driver. (And also the Le Mans 24 Hours is awesome. I won it 6 times)

Project Gotham Racing 4. Still awesome this game. With the best weather effect. I do admit the track quite boring. But the cars list is amazing and I still adore it.

Driver: San Francisco. It's not exactly racing games(but there are a lot racing challenges). And this time you just drive like in the old Driver. The Cars list is good.

I'm still like old NFS game. Underground, Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover. you should try them sometimes.

Speaking of old games try TOCA Racing Driver. Predecessor of Grid but still nice game.

Midnight Club as well from the old MC: 3 Dub Edition to Los Angeles. The MC: LA is quite good actually. if only they can added more cars. oh and the customization is awesome.

Need For Speed: The Run. I find it quite good but most people disagree but hey it's my opinion.

Oh yeah I try not to be biased. Gran Turismo 5. Yeah their gameplay is very good. But the cars list? 1000 cars, you find that amazing but many models is exactly the same (for example they have 40 Skylines and one of the model different because of Purple Paint!). And most of them is Japanese useless cars that only Japanese people understand. Oh unlike FM not all vehicle have interior view or even damageable(only 30% of them). But if you already have PS 3. It's not so bad.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I don't use Xbox so Forza is out for me (although I hear it's real good). My good friends at Giant Bomb really enjoyed Driver: SF so I think I might check that one out at some point. I'm glad you recommend The Run as well. I was considering checking it out (it's only 20 bucks now!) but I had heard alot of negativity surrounding it. You have convinced me to give it a looksee.

I think I'd like to pick up the new Most Wanted as well. The word on the street is that the single player is pretty dull but the multiplayer is super fun to pick up and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhardt View Post
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I don't use Xbox so Forza is out for me (although I hear it's real good). My good friends at Giant Bomb really enjoyed Driver: SF so I think I might check that one out at some point. I'm glad you recommend The Run as well. I was considering checking it out (it's only 20 bucks now!) but I had heard alot of negativity surrounding it. You have convinced me to give it a looksee.

I think I'd like to pick up the new Most Wanted as well. The word on the street is that the single player is pretty dull but the multiplayer is super fun to pick up and play.
    You're welcome glad to help fellow cub.

Aww that is bad. You have to at least play Forza Motorsport before you die!(I mean it). You should try it sometimes you will love it.

Yeah The Run cars list is good(I love Boss 429, RTR-X, 71 Skyline, Golf GTI MK1, Quattro, 993 GT2,) although if I'm honest the single player is kinda easy. But multiplayer is awesome.

Well Single Player in Most Wanted isn't that dull(compare to Carbon for example) but yeah the multiplayer is awesome!

I haven't played console racers in years beyond Mario Kart I've said for a long time that I'm going to get a PS3 so I can play GT5, but as with most of my console related ideas, it never really materialized.

As far as the fun games go, the Need for Speed series has been entertaining me for a long time... I own the newer edition of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, but haven't actually played it - pretty sure there's been half a dozen NFS titles since then though, so I'm out of the loop. I did enjoy CarbonI also own Test Drive Unlimited 2, which I have installed but also haven't played - I remember enjoying the original thoroughly though.

I tend to prefer the higher fidelity racing simulators like RFactor, iRacing, RACE07 and now Project CARS - and the games that seem to come close as well, like Need for Speed Shift, GRID, Dirt 3 and the like. Any game that makes me feel like an idiot when I first play it and then feel like a pro racer after a few weeks or months is good in my books.

I really like the new Hot Pursuit. It was essentially the game that sparked my recent racing lust. It runs super nice on the PC.

I also own Shift on the PS3 (It was a member freebie at one point) but I never played it.

I tend to enjoy the more arcade style racers I guess, largely due to being fairly uneducated when it comes to cars.

What kind of game is Shift? Having just sort of gotten back into the NFS series I missed out on alot of the entries up until now. I find it interesting that even though they are an annualized franchise they are at least trying s different idea each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhardt View Post
    What kind of game is Shift? Having just sort of gotten back into the NFS series I missed out on alot of the entries up until now. I find it interesting that even though they are an annualized franchise they are at least trying s different idea each year.
    Shift (and I assume Shift 2) sit in between the arcade style racers and hardcore sims... they're surprisingly challenging and visceral experiences with beautiful graphics, but not nearly as hardcore as a full-on simulator - they may not even be as hardcore as Forza or GT5 - not sure.

I think EA has built a franchise that successfully adopts the current popular racing style, capitalizing on trends and exploiting niches where possible, which is why NFS sells millions of copies every year on each platform. I wish I could get The Run on Steam, it sounds like fun!

I was pretty much 100% opposed to EA's Origin nonsense up until now. Steam is already here (and much better imo) and the perversion of a once great studio name still stings.

But...

It has come to my attention that with the new NFS: Most Wanted that the Origin service populates your friends list and Autolog cross platform. This is actually really clutch for me as most people do not play my platforms. Everytime I want to play with friends its "Oh sorry, Im on Xbox". And while the Origin service link doesn't allow for cross-platform play per se, its great to still be able to do leaderboard chases with my peers regardless of their console of choice.

That being said, Im seriously considering picking up Most Wanted (the new one) in the next few weeks (budget allowing). I'd love to compete with some fellow racing cubs!