Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know....

Default Does anyone know....

... If sucking your thumb, as an adult, will mess up your teeth? I know it messes up kids teeth but as an adult they should be stronger.
    It was a random thought, anyone have any guesses?

KinkyPants

Ask your dentist? don't have to say it's you do u

Default Does anyone know....

I would but I don't have insurance nor any money to go, even it was an emergency :/
    Other wise I wouldn't ask.

I think once your adult pair has set in, thumb sucking shouldn't affect your teeth too much unless you do it a lot frequently. On a different note, I love your profile pic :3 Anyways pacifier's, nuk 5, might be the way to go?

Here's an article from the NY Times on the subject of thumb sucking:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/27/he...real.html?_r=0

It suggests that thumb sucking after the age of six can lead to tooth misalignment, but it doesn't directly address what happens when someone who's older, with all their permanent teeth in, starts thumb sucking. However, it does say that the misalignment will naturally correct itself if it's spotted early and the thumb sucking stops:

The problem appears at first as a slight misalignment of the teeth, called a malocclusion, that goes away if the habit is stopped.
    It seems that you'd be fine as long as you stopped if you noticed any problems.

This article from CBS on a movie about adult thumb suckers suggests that thumb sucking in adults can lead to tooth misalignment, but doesn't always.

Adult Thumb Suckers Come Out - CBS News

A dentist would be able to give a more definite answer. I am a little doubtful, though, that there's been any serious study on something as insular as adult thumb sucking, so it might be that even your doctor can't give you anything besides an educated guess (still, it's more educated than any of us :p).

I'm not sure, but I do know if your missing a tooth your teeth will shift creating bigger spacings. I would imagine thumb sucking could cause a slight problem if done daily.

Yes thumb sucking can affect your teeth unless you are really old about keeping your teeth apart while you are doing it. I have also seen thumbs that have developed sores and become raw because of teeth. A pacifier is a bit better as long as it is one that doesn't displace the teeth.

I've sucked my thumb for my entire life and my teeth aren't the straightest, but after braces when I was much younger they have pretty much stayed put despite the fact that I still suck my thumb. So if you are older I don't think it will affect them that much if at all.

Probably like anything else.. in moderation fine, in excess probably bad for you..

I know you can definitely throw you teeth out of whack as an adult just by putting pressure on them with your tongue while you sleep, so I have to assume excessive sucking is going to be just as bad..

Quote Originally Posted by lilaznboy View Post
    I think once your adult pair has set in, thumb sucking shouldn't affect your teeth too much unless you do it a lot frequently. On a different note, I love your profile pic :3 Anyways pacifier's, nuk 5, might be the way to go?
    Thank you for the input! And thank you its a cute puppy :3 I am not much for the paci or thumb sucking nor do I know a thing about them >.< it was just an idea that popped into my head and thought I would ask because google is useless to me lol
    So the nuk 5 is a good pacifier?

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMunchkin View Post
    Here's an article from the NY Times on the subject of thumb sucking:

The Claim: Thumb Sucking Can Lead to Buck Teeth - New York Times

It suggests that thumb sucking after the age of six can lead to tooth misalignment, but it doesn't directly address what happens when someone who's older, with all their permanent teeth in, starts thumb sucking. However, it does say that the misalignment will naturally correct itself if it's spotted early and the thumb sucking stops:

It seems that you'd be fine as long as you stopped if you noticed any problems.

This article from CBS on a movie about adult thumb suckers suggests that thumb sucking in adults can lead to tooth misalignment, but doesn't always.

Adult Thumb Suckers Come Out - CBS News

A dentist would be able to give a more definite answer. I am a little doubtful, though, that there's been any serious study on something as insular as adult thumb sucking, so it might be that even your doctor can't give you anything besides an educated guess (still, it's more educated than any of us :p).
    Thank you! I thought that as much as well. My teeth shift from time to time when I sleep (I grind and clench my teeth, from stress blah blah blah) I would agree that a doctor could give only a good guess as well xD I never saw those articles when I googled this topic, I really didn't look hard enough I guess :P

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    I'm not sure, but I do know if your missing a tooth your teeth will shift creating bigger spacings. I would imagine thumb sucking could cause a slight problem if done daily.
    I experienced that when I had several teeth removed for my braces! I would assume that thumb sucking would shift your teeth then even if you did it once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    Yes thumb sucking can affect your teeth unless you are really old about keeping your teeth apart while you are doing it. I have also seen thumbs that have developed sores and become raw because of teeth. A pacifier is a bit better as long as it is one that doesn't displace the teeth.
    o.o wow really sores? From one day or like a weeks worth of sucking?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    I've sucked my thumb for my entire life and my teeth aren't the straightest, but after braces when I was much younger they have pretty much stayed put despite the fact that I still suck my thumb. So if you are older I don't think it will affect them that much if at all.
    If your teeth are find after braces and they haven't moved then I would assume that while there is a risk it might be lessened as one gets older, but the risk will still be there (prolly do to genetics) everyone here has a good point that it will mess your teeth up but only if done everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Probably like anything else.. in moderation fine, in excess probably bad for you..

I know you can definitely throw you teeth out of whack as an adult just by putting pressure on them with your tongue while you sleep, so I have to assume excessive sucking is going to be just as bad..
    That happens to me now, my teeth shift because of that and my jaw clenching, but wouldn't a pacifier do the same thing then?