Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hi everyone,

I am a fairly closeted DL in the 25-34 demographic (hopefully that's not creepy, but my general age is probably relevant). I don't really have any AB/regression tendencies, but I might be willing to experiment.

I've never told anyone about this before, and have only recently decided to try and accept this part of myself since fighting it hasn't worked so far (believe me, I've tried). I'm currently trying to work up the courage to tell my S.O. So in general I'm looking for support and am interested in talking with others who have the same interests.

My other interests include weightlifting and exercise. I also like to program, and more specifically like learning and messing around with (relatively) obscure, or at least non-mainstream languages. Messing around with hardware and building/making things is also fun. Soldering and putting stuff together is a lot more physical than programming, which is nice. Of course, you can't burn yourself with a keyboard like you can with a soldering iron, but maybe that's why it's fun. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a fairly closeted DL in the 25-34 demographic (hopefully that's not creepy, but my general age is probably relevant). I don't really have any AB/regression tendencies, but I might be willing to experiment.

I've never told anyone about this before, and have only recently decided to try and accept this part of myself since fighting it hasn't worked so far (believe me, I've tried). I'm currently trying to work up the courage to tell my S.O. So in general I'm looking for support and am interested in talking with others who have the same interests.

My other interests include weightlifting and exercise. I also like to program, and more specifically like learning and messing around with (relatively) obscure, or at least non-mainstream languages. Messing around with hardware and building/making things is also fun. Soldering and putting stuff together is a lot more physical than programming, which is nice. Of course, you can't burn yourself with a keyboard like you can with a soldering iron, but maybe that's why it's fun. :-)
    Hey LittleAcorn!

Well, I'm sure you will make lots of friends here, and your introduction is awesome!

What programming languages have you all learned? In particular the non mainstream ones... I've learned a handful of these myself, so I'm curious what you have bothered to learn

I'm also a Computer Science student, and love puzzles (more generally twisty puzzles (Like the Rubik's Cube)).

Hope to hear back from you soon!

- Lobie

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    Hey LittleAcorn!

Well, I'm sure you will make lots of friends here, and your introduction is awesome!

What programming languages have you all learned? In particular the non mainstream ones... I've learned a handful of these myself, so I'm curious what you have bothered to learn

I'm also a Computer Science student, and love puzzles (more generally twisty puzzles (Like the Rubik's Cube)).

Hope to hear back from you soon!

- Lobie
    Hi Lobie!

I'm a fan of lisp, and am currently messing around with Haskell. I studied ML a bit in school, and think type inference/pattern matching is kind of cool. Of course, I spend most of my day in python, so duck typing is probably more useful.

It's also fun to think about some of the more esoteric programming languges, however I would hesitate to use the words "learn" or "use" in a sentence with any of them.

Looking at your profile your speed cube times are impressive. I've generally only been able to get the bottom two layers (and slowly, at that), but the former math major in me just views it as applied group theory.

Hi Lobie!

I'm a fan of lisp, and am currently messing around with Haskell. I studied ML a bit in school, and think type inference/pattern matching is kind of cool. Of course, I spend most of my day in python, so duck typing is probably more useful.

It's also fun to think about some of the more esoteric programming languges, however I would hesitate to use the words "learn" or "use" in a sentence with any of them.

Looking at your profile your speed cube times are impressive. I've generally only been able to get the bottom two layers (and slowly, at that), but the former math major in me just views it as applied group theory.
    Ah, I like Lisp pretty good, absolutely love Haskell (favourite language).

Other languages I have used // use frequently: C#, Java, Python, Nemerle, Prolog, perl, ruby, D, C/C++, Clojure (Which is better than lisp imo).

As for esoteric languages I believe you can learn and use them (those that are Turing complete). I've programmed in, and made some pretty cool things with: Brainf***, Piet, and Chef.

Thanks, it's taken a lot of work to get that good at the cubes, and after all, every puzzle like those are just group theory as it is! :P

- Lobie

Ah, I like Lisp pretty good, absolutely love Haskell (favourite language).

Other languages I have used // use frequently: C#, Java, Python, Nemerle, Prolog, perl, ruby, D, C/C++, Clojure (Which is better than lisp imo).

As for esoteric languages I believe you can learn and use them (those that are Turing complete). I've programmed in, and made some pretty cool things with: Brainf***, Piet, and Chef.

Thanks, it's taken a lot of work to get that good at the cubes, and after all, every puzzle like those are just group theory as it is! :P

- Lobie
    I think I have a soft spot for lisp because it was my first exposure to dynamic variable scope. I've been meaning to look into clojure (being jvm based seems useful, even if I'm not a fan of Java) but there's only so much time in the day. And I'm becoming a fan of Haskell since the type system is so different than python.

I hadn't heard of Chef before - that's clever. One of the more interesting esoteric languages is malbolge, the design goal of which was to make it difficult or impossible to write useful programs. It is not Turing Complete due to limited memory (then again, technically neither is a PC unless you have removable hard drives), however, and according to wikipedia weaknesses in it's design make it possible to write programs.

I think I have a soft spot for lisp because it was my first exposure to dynamic variable scope. I've been meaning to look into clojure (being jvm based seems useful, even if I'm not a fan of Java) but there's only so much time in the day. And I'm becoming a fan of Haskell since the type system is so different than python.

I hadn't heard of Chef before - that's clever. One of the more interesting esoteric languages is malbolge, the design goal of which was to make it difficult or impossible to write useful programs. It is not Turing Complete due to limited memory (then again, technically neither is a PC unless you have removable hard drives), however, and according to wikipedia weaknesses in it's design make it possible to write programs.
    Definitely, Malbolge is a very cool language for what it's goal was. It certainly has succeeded in my case, I have no intention of ever looking at it.

When it comes to esoteric languages Piet has to be my favourite, I really like that an image can let you do such cool things! Some of the programs made by others are extremely impressive (and artistic!). I am currently (for the past year, haha), been working on a merge sort for Piet... I don't think I will ever complete it though! :P

- Lobie

(but ((agree I) Lisp (is pretty good)) ((is nightmarish) (without Emacs)))

Quote Originally Posted by x000017 View Post
    (but ((agree I) Lisp (is pretty good)) ((is nightmarish) (without Emacs)))
    You mean there are other editors? I'm glad this conversation hasn't scared everyone else off.

Definitely, Malbolge is a very cool language for what it's goal was. It certainly has succeeded in my case, I have no intention of ever looking at it.

When it comes to esoteric languages Piet has to be my favourite, I really like that an image can let you do such cool things! Some of the programs made by others are extremely impressive (and artistic!). I am currently (for the past year, haha), been working on a merge sort for Piet... I don't think I will ever complete it though! :P

- Lobie
    Ha! I just found out that someone wrote a brainf*** interpreter in piet. That takes dedication. Mergesort would be impressive too. I'm kind of tempted to write a piet assembler now, but it looks like someone beat me too it

You mean there are other editors? I'm glad this conversation hasn't scared everyone else off.
    My programming knowledge and interest only extends to making jokes.

EMacs? Seriously guys...

What has this world come to?

I'm going to go and pretend you all said Vim, this makes me happier.