Thread: A Curious Twist

Default A Curious Twist

Well, I met a girl and it has taken a confusing turn. She is obviously somewhat interested in me but her intentions are odd. She is a devout catholic and the virtual embodiment of wholesomeness and innocence. I am the opposite, and I am also a Deist. She is intent on converting me and "saving my soul".

I feel Kind of evil because there is a part of me that wants to convert her and destroy her faith, as much as she wants to convert me. I shudder at the idea of harming her like that, but every part of me wants to just rip her faith to shreds every time she brings it up. I am a shark and I smell blood in the water.

I don't want to do that to her. I like her for how sweet she is and I think her faith gives her that. In some twisted way I think we are mutually attracted to one another because we are both intent on changing each other. It is the kind of love and admiration the immoveable object has for the unstoppable force.

can anyone offer some kind of advice?

Quote Originally Posted by PacifiedByKnowledge View Post
    She is intent on converting me and "saving my soul".
    Red flag number one.

I feel Kind of evil because there is a part of me that wants to convert her and destroy her faith, as much as she wants to convert me.
    Red flag number two.

I don't want to do that to her. I like her for how sweet she is and I think her faith gives her that.
    Well if her faith appears to be the root of her personality, which you love, then the answer is obvious. You both want the other to change and neither of you are clearly going to so the only solution is to not go out, you can either remain friends or can go your separate ways but you should go out if you value both the girl and yourself.

I was in your situation as well once, a friend of mine at uni is Christian and when I first met her I really wanted to go out with her despite knowing her faith and my lack of it would never work out well and while I never thought of changing her I thought of changing myself and while never did anything serious I did look into Christianity and didn't feel like it was the right thing for me. I never asked her out and got over her, we remain friends to this day and while she knows I had feelings for her she doesn't know the reason as to why I never asked her out and I think that was for the best in the end. I'm happy, she's happy and our relationship is fine which it would not be had I asked her out.