Thread: new headphones

Default new headphones

im looking for a good set of headphones to use with my ipod. i like the turtle beach gaming headset i have but the thing with them is they require an outside power source (USB plug in) to function. i was wondering if any one knew of any MP3 player headphones similar to a turtle beach headset except made for MP3 players. i need something comfotable, reliable(major problem with me as a set of ear buds last 3 months at most with me), high quality audio, and good bass. any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

something similar to these

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TurtleBeach-X12.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	14900

Huge fan of the klipsch image s4 .. they are inner ear buds, but are insanely comfortable, great sound quality, and don't fall out like just about every other brand/type I have tried.

Sennheiser HD-280 pros are probably the best headphone/value that you can get for under $200.

These are very good, flat-response headphones, mind you. They do not distort your audio. You will not hear absurdly-boosted, UNCE UNCE UNCE bass. They're designed for listening to music the way it's been mastered. I realize that this is, for some reason, contrary to what a lot of people like, so it's worth keeping in mind.

They will also last you for years (mine are 3-4 years old, and have only superficial damage).

Bose to me makes the best,
    But keep in mind the headphones seem to do the best with clearity in audio not too much with bass...
    But if all you want is bass then go for Beats: (IDK how much they cost) those have great bass...

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    Bose to me makes the best
    Bose makes quality products, but they overcharge purely for name recognition and aren't any better than other, more reasonably-priced options out there (Grado, Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica).

But if all you want is bass then go for Beats: (IDK how much they cost) those have great bass...
    Beats are a tremendous rip-off and I cannot, in good conscience, recommend that anyone buy them. Yes, they have loud bass. No, that's not indicative of headphone quality. The bass is loud. That's about it. It's not at all a faithful representation of the signal being sent to the headphones.

I have a pair of Bose headphones myself. They were a gift; I'd never pay that much for a pair of headphones.
    Big over-the-ear headphones tend to drain my ipod's battery way too much, so I stick with earbuds. I have a wonderful pair that I picked up at walmart for $5.
    Plus, earbuds don't strain your ears and they're plenty loud. (I'm talking about the kind with gel tips, not those crappy plastic ones that come with iphones)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    Sennheiser HD-280 pros are probably the best headphone/value that you can get for under $200.

These are very good, flat-response headphones, mind you. They do not distort your audio. You will not hear absurdly-boosted, UNCE UNCE UNCE bass. They're designed for listening to music the way it's been mastered. I realize that this is, for some reason, contrary to what a lot of people like, so it's worth keeping in mind.

They will also last you for years (mine are 3-4 years old, and have only superficial damage).
    As a film student, I had to purchase a pair of over-the-ear headphones, to monitor our recordings with no sound colouring. I ended up purchasing Sennheiser HD-280 pros. Honestly, these are the best you can get under the $200 price range. These are my second headphones that I have purchased from Sennheiser, and the brand never disappoints. Sennheiser is on par with and possibly better than Bose in terms of style and price, Bose and Sennheiser are the top headphone makers of the world, and Beats can Beat It Michael Jaskon style.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    They're designed for listening to music the way it's been mastered.
    Always found this weird. Stuff gets mastered to sound good on consumer gear (which unlike a studio monitor / monitor headset isn't going to faithfully reproduce what is recorded). Why not have consumer gear act like a monitor and have music mastered to sound good without the end speakers mucking with it.

Obviously I assume this just happened little by little over time (pink floyd sounds great through monitors) and evolved to the point it is now.. but still!

I can't recommend grado enough. I'm currently listening to house music through a pair of SR-80is.